News Forum - Roles reversed as Thai bride pays 12.8 million baht dowry

Thaiger

A Thai bride presented a dowry worth a staggering 12.8 million baht to her groom at Khon Kaen Convention Centre on Sunday. Instead of paying a dowry himself, 33 year old groom Micky received 2 million in cash, 500,000 baht’s worth of jewellery, a 5 rai land title deed valued at over 500,000 baht, a 7 million baht house, and a 2.8 million BMW Series 3 car from his 33 year old bride, Bailew. Usually, it is the bride’s family who request a dowry or “sin sod” of 100,000 baht to a million baht from the groom. Thai Rath reported […]

The story Roles reversed as Thai bride pays 12.8 million baht dowry as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Does this dowry only relate to people of the North East? I married a Thai woman and there was no mention of a dowry, she was from Bangkok. 

Maybe it is just between poorer people? I don't know as I have never heard of it. 

3 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Does this dowry only relate to people of the North East? I married a Thai woman and there was no mention of a dowry, she was from Bangkok. 

Maybe it is just between poorer people? I don't know as I have never heard of it. 

I am not sure if I admire, or am repulsed by, your belief that 13m Baht is a "poorer peoples" transaction.

• Cool 2

26 minutes ago, Chaimai said:
31 minutes ago, JamesR said:

I am not sure if I admire, or am repulsed by, your belief that 13m Baht is a "poorer peoples" transaction.

Difficult to credit that JR, a regular contributor to TT and given his frequent mentions of his mixed Thai/UK life, 'has never heard of' a marriage dowry, or as the report refers to its much more familiar Thai name, the famous Sin Sod. Where in Thailand do they not practice the Sin Sod ritual?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JamesR said:

You have never heard of sin sod ?

And between poorer people? My stepson goes to University and everytime he has a rich new girlfriend, we shudder  5555

• Haha 1
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

You have never heard of sin sod ?

And between poorer people? My stepson goes to University and everytime he has a rich new girlfriend, we shudder  5555

Haaa, good one. 😆

I will ask the Thai people who I know about this, no one has ever mentioned it before and I have been around Thai people for decades.

1 hour ago, King Cotton said:

Difficult to credit that JR, a regular contributor to TT and given his frequent mentions of his mixed Thai/UK life, 'has never heard of' a marriage dowry, or as the report refers to its much more familiar Thai name, the famous Sin Sod. Where in Thailand do they not practice the Sin Sod ritual?

No need to be insulting, it was a genuine question on my part, and no I have never heard of it.

It was never asked of me when I was married so my answer to your question, "Where in Thailand do they not practice the Sin Sod ritual?" is when I was married in Bangkok, that is one example. 

A friend of mine also married a Thai and there was no money or gifts exchanged, so that is another example.

Therefore that is why I asked the question is this sin sod only between poorer Thais.

2 hours ago, Chaimai said:

You should be repulsed by yourself for trying to compare a sin sod with a dowry, the woman made a dowry not a sin sod as that is from a man to a woman, maybe what she did was give gifts because she wanted to, it probably made very little difference to what she had. 

10 minutes ago, JamesR said:
1 hour ago, King Cotton said:

No need to be insulting, it was a genuine question on my part, and no I have never heard of it.

It was never asked of me when I was married so my answer to your question, "Where in Thailand do they not practice the Sin Sod ritual?" is when I was married in Bangkok, that is one example. 

A friend of mine also married a Thai and there was no money or gifts exchanged, so that is another example.

Therefore that is why I asked the question is this sin sod only between poorer Thais.

Insulting, JR? Perhaps you'd highlight just one of my words that was insulting. Sounds like you're just too used to getting them . . . insults, that is - not Sin Sods.

6 hours ago, Thaiger said:

a 5 rai land title deed valued at over 500,000 baht

So there is land out there, a rai for 100.000 baht. Must be remote, methinks!

55 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Haaa, good one. 😆

I will ask the Thai people who I know about this, no one has ever mentioned it before and I have been around Thai people for decades.

Sin Sod is always in the news, this superstar is getting this much sin sot and so own

I've seen it in extremely poor families to uber rich families and all between

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Insulting, JR? Perhaps you'd highlight just one of my words that was insulting. Sounds like you're just too used to getting them . . . insults, that is - not Sin Sods.

I am not going to be drawing into a childish petty argument, my initial comment was genuine and I am going to leave it at that, argue with the mirror my friend. 

Just now, Marc26 said:

Sin Sod is always in the news, this superstar is getting this much sin sot and so own

I've seen it in extremely poor families to uber rich families and all between

Cheers, thanks for the info.👍

6 hours ago, JamesR said:

You should be repulsed by yourself for trying to compare a sin sod with a dowry, the woman made a dowry not a sin sod as that is from a man to a woman, maybe what she did was give gifts because she wanted to, it probably made very little difference to what she had. 

Dowry, means Sin sod in Thai.

Normally, it is given to the Bride's family. I have underlined normally, as traditions in marriage are changing.

IMG_20220316_050321.thumb.png.45c88a38fdba967a96f3b8740930d161.png

Please everyone, calm down.

• Like 1

You guys have missed the point of the news thread, It's not the amount of money, it,s the point that the brides family paid it. The groom must be some major catch that they really want in the family.🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thaidup said:

You guys have missed the point of the news thread, It's not the amount of money, it,s the point that the brides family paid it. The groom must be some major catch that they really want in the family.🙂

Bride must be desperate......or the Groom's DNA is perfect

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JamesR said:

You don't seem to have learned much in those decades.........🙂

Sin Sod”, or Thai dowry, is supposed to be given by the groom to the bride's family so as to be repaid for the loss of their daughter. This assures the Sin ...

12 hours ago, Marc26 said:

you now have a prime example that the wife can pay the sin sod.

• Like 1