News Forum - Young Swiss man needs O negative blood donations after heatstroke on Thailand island

Thaiger

34 minutes ago, Smithydog said:

Members,

Our advice has been, and remains, is to only take medical advice from trusted medical professionals and not via any forum comment. All our bodies are vastly different and whilst some advice may seem sound or some not, your own body could act differently to others.

Also, if you have an issue with a post, report it, stating clearly why so the Moderators can assess. Commentary on the Forum about suggestive actions for the Moderators to take are not appreciated and will likely only end up with a result of you being in trouble yourself!

Good advice, I’ve been saying the same. It’s really hard discussing thing when your at completely difference levels of knowledge and experience. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, King Cotton said:

Hi, @dj230, as @Marble-eye's earlier post (178395) graphically depicted, your O- blood is the most wanted of all blood types, with it being 'donatable' to all other blood groups. Maybe best to check with the Red Cross, first, though.

unfortunately that makes me the one that isn't able to receive any blood, I donated regularly in Canada, mostly because my RBC and hemoglobin was always high. I workout a lot so my body produces more to make up for oxygen demand. 

I'll give them a call tomorrow, chances are if its on the news though he probably already got the blood he needed, they take quite a bit of blood each donation (huge bag) and when you get a transfusion it's a tiny packet. 

Edited by dj230
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Sorry you disagree, but I knew you would.

You need to check with those who know. The problems is  people commenting about thing completely beyond their comprehension

I have 40+ years experience in laboratory medicine. Although I wouldn't say it was common and not a big deal. Check at any Thai medical university or the Thai Red Cross.  I'm sure they'll confirm what I have said.

However, I really burned out on this and have to refer you to other experts.

Good night.

Are we really going to do this Fred? You complain and say you will ignore me and then chose not to. You were asked for a link or some evidence to substantiate your claim. I also was waiting for the link and it never arrived. If you are to masquerade as a doctor remember it’s illegal. Unless you can supply a link supporting your dubious claim then what are people to think. You are fooling no one but yourself. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smithydog said:

Members,

Our advice has been, and remains, is to only take medical advice from trusted medical professionals and not via any forum comment. All our bodies are vastly different and whilst some advice may seem sound or some not, your own body could act differently to others.

Also, if you have an issue with a post, report it, stating clearly why so the Moderators can assess. Commentary on the Forum about suggestive actions for the Moderators to take are not appreciated and will likely only end up with a result of you being in trouble yourself!

Ok @Smithydog  I’ll report it through the formal route. I wasn’t aware moderators can’t take action unless a report was submitted. I’ll do it now and apologies if you took my remark as manipulative. Medical advice should only come from those qualified. 

7 hours ago, LoongFred said:

If he has never been transfused before he could be given O pos blood. Of course this would sensitized him with D antigen and he would have problems if he receive rH positive blood again. So first time is ok but only once.

It sounds like it is more than heatstroke though because the need for a transfusion would indicate something else. 

Sorry to say mate, but in case the person HAS O-negative, ONLY O-negative can be given.

If it is O-positive or any other blood group, O-negative is universal donor, but still can ONLY receive o-negative.

7 hours ago, LoongFred said:

However, O+ could be used if no prior transfusions with O+ blood. O+ is common in Thailand. 

And in case you don't have any source to this claim, I think you should not further post that nonsense!

But yes, 0+ is common, about 1/3 not only in Thailand. But there is still no way, if first time or whatever, that a O-negative can get that blood.

6 hours ago, LoongFred said:

What I'm saying is that for a male who's never been transfused O+ could be substituted

Source, please!

Just to clear up the debate that is going on over @LoongFred's comments. He is half right. The procedure he is suggesting is a step that can be taken in extreme emergencies. But only where the person concerned has never had contact with O+ blood before, otherwise their immune system will immediately attack the infused blood. If they have not encountered O+ blood blood before then their immune system will still respond but much more slowly as it takes time for it to create the antibodies against the foreign blood. The slower response means that the foreign blood can then serve its purpose while the body both produces replacement blood for the blood lost while simultaneously creating an immune response and eliminating the foreign blood. This procedure is ALWAYS dangerous because it is impossible to predict whether the person has or has not been exposed to O+ blood previously and as such thorough testing of their blood must be done before attempting this. It is generally a procedure of last resort for trauma patients. The patient concerned does NOT fit into that category. Introduction of a foreign blood type into a patient with the number of serious conditions listed would be absurd adding this immune response and slow rejection of the foreign blood and potential damage done by the immune factors in the foreign blood to his already damaged tissues to his list of problems would only potentially make the situation worse. 

This is all turning into a 'bun fight'...

Some Clarification:

"Because 39% of the population have type O+ blood, hospitals transfuse it more often than other blood types.

Preferred donation methods: double red blood cell, whole blood, and platelet.

Types O, A, B and AB positive can receive O+ red cells, and O+ platelets can go to anyone (except childbearing aged females of types O-, A-, B- and AB).

Type O+ can ONLY receive types O+ and O-, and only type O+ and negative can receive O+ plasma."

https://www.bloodcenter.org/donate/blood-types/o-positive/

Further Clarification:

https://www.thebloodcenter.org/node/18

IMG_20220316_052946.png

1 hour ago, Faraday said:

This is all turning into a 'bun fight'...

Some Clarification:

"Because 39% of the population have type O+ blood, hospitals transfuse it more often than other blood types.

Preferred donation methods: double red blood cell, whole blood, and platelet.

Types O, A, B and AB positive can receive O+ red cells, and O+ platelets can go to anyone (except childbearing aged females of types O-, A-, B- and AB).

Type O+ can ONLY receive types O+ and O-, and only type O+ and negative can receive O+ plasma."

https://www.bloodcenter.org/donate/blood-types/o-positive/

Further Clarification:

https://www.thebloodcenter.org/node/18

IMG_20220316_052946.png

I have the selfish blood A+. 

11 hours ago, Soidog said:

Are we really going to do this Fred? You complain and say you will ignore me and then chose not to. You were asked for a link or some evidence to substantiate your claim. I also was waiting for the link and it never arrived. If you are to masquerade as a doctor remember it’s illegal. Unless you can supply a link supporting your dubious claim then what are people to think. You are fooling no one but yourself. 

Links are now provided. An apology might be in order.

12 hours ago, dj230 said:

unfortunately that makes me the one that isn't able to receive any blood, I donated regularly in Canada, mostly because my RBC and hemoglobin was always high. I workout a lot so my body produces more to make up for oxygen demand. 

I'll give them a call tomorrow, chances are if its on the news though he probably already got the blood he needed, they take quite a bit of blood each donation (huge bag) and when you get a transfusion it's a tiny packet. 

When you  donate its whole blood  including red blood cells and plasma. If your hemocrit  is 50  it would be 50% Red blood cells and 50% plasma. Normally only red blood cells are transfused. That's why the bag  looks smaller (it is). Plasma or NSS may be given to expand the volume. There are also various components in blood that may be given for different reasons. 

Hope this helps.

• Like 1