News Forum - Bangkok governor vows to end annual flooding in capital

Thaiger

The governor of Bangkok has pledged to end the flooding that plagues the capital each year and says he has the tools to do it. Aswin Kwanmuang says the construction of another 2 underground water tanks, in addition to 2 that have been completed, will be done within the next 2 years, helping to put an end to Bangkok’s ongoing flood issues. According to a Bangkok Post report, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration boss says the project, which has been running since 2018, will put an end to flood misery in the capital. With 2 underground retention tanks built, work has […]

The story Bangkok governor vows to end annual flooding in capital as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

The governor of Bangkok has pledged to end the flooding that plagues the capital each year and says he has the tools to do it.

I think I heard that before.. , 🤔

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

I think I heard that before.. , 🤔

He must think he's the new messiah to make these claims.  Or Moses?

5 Times God Parts the Waters & How He Will for You Too - Faithful Motherhood

With sea-level rise, Bangkok sinking, and climate change events delivering more rain more frequently the tanks may relieve minor flood events.  Much depends on tidal or storm influences as the water still has to be pumped out to the Gulf.

I've been wondering when they might begin a Bangkok Barrier project, something like the Netherlands, Venice and London's defences.  BangkokPost wrote a good article 5 years ago >

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1384514/flood-prevention-an-uphill-struggle

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

2 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

I've been wondering when they might begin a Bangkok Barrier project, something like the Netherlands, Venice and London's defences.  BangkokPost wrote a good article 5 years ago >

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1384514/flood-prevention-an-uphill-struggle

This would imply that they want to 'learn' from farang.... cannot.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Shark said:

This would imply that they want to 'learn' from farang.... cannot.

The Thai draining systems are built to drain money.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

The Thai draining systems are built to drain money.

I was more talking about water management systems (like The Netherlands has built many years ago and this has been replicated throughout the world).

5 minutes ago, Shark said:

I was more talking about water management systems (like The Netherlands has built many years ago and this has been replicated throughout the world).

I know. But unfortunately,  I believe money has a higher priority than water draining, and falang interfere would ruin everything.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

I know. But unfortunately,  I believe money has a higher priority than water draining, and falang interfere would ruin everything.

I know this, many years in Thailand removed any hope on that improving.

• Like 1

Well, a daily rainfall of 100 mm, and a 10.000 cubic meter tank. Sounds impressive. But 100 mm rain means 100 liters per square meter. A cubic meter is 1000 liters. Which fallls on 10 square meter. So 10.000 cubic meter can hold the rainfall from 100.000 square meters. Which is 500 by 200 meters. Seems to me that the flooding areas are bigger than that. And also,  flooding areas tend to be on lower grounds, so they will get runoff water from higher areas. They will need to construct quite a lot of those tanks, not just 3 or 4. 

• Cool 1

Isn't the problem the slow flow of the Chao Praya? Sealevel, high tide, can't really see, that 22 Million liter of watertanks will help out a lot. They need the river to have a lower level, to be emtied into it. Was there not once the idea, to use pumps and pipes, IN THE RIVER, to speed the flow of the water, that comes from the north?

Why only ask the Dutch for Suvarnaphum? Why not ask them for Bangkok?

Or would the electric bill  be to high?

• Cool 1

1 minute ago, Guest1 said:

I guess they never asked and if they did they for sure forgot about it already.

Why not ask for Thailand including the sea islands like Phi Phi, Samui, Tao, Phangan... but then again this means needing a plan... I don't expect such from a Thai.

• Like 1

Do these boys not realise that Thailand is just one big draining valley and that valley run off ends in Bangkok?  Where is Canute when you need him? 

Aswin always reminds me of something you do to your rear end as in xxx wipe. Next he will be saying he has the power to deflect asteroids.

55 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

Isn't the problem the slow flow of the Chao Praya? Sealevel, high tide, can't really see, that 22 Million liter of watertanks will help out a lot. They need the river to have a lower level, to be emtied into it. Was there not once the idea, to use pumps and pipes, IN THE RIVER, to speed the flow of the water, that comes from the north?

Or would the electric bill  be to high?

If they don’t want to ask Farang then ask the Malaysian. They once had a similar problem in Kuala Lumpur. They built a massive underground road tunnel that doubles as a storm drain when water run off hits the city. That has been highly successful

Check out this video. Ingenious and solving two problems at once 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Soidog said:

If they don’t want to ask Farang then ask the Malaysian

That is the thing, no one understands:

They did ask the dutch for swampy, the dutch made the drain system there.

So there are connections, why not use 'em?

A big part of Holland is under sea level for quiet a bit. And still dry. They just installed a couple.of more pumps, to keep it that way

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Guest1 said:

That is the thing, no one understands:

They did ask the dutch for swampy, the dutch made the drain system there.

So there are connections, why not use 'em?

A big part of Holland is under sea level for quiet a bit. And still dry. They just installed a couple.of more pumps, to keep it that way

Exactly. The Japanese have also been good at flood management. I’m not sure what is wrong with the Thais. Perhaps the costs are simply too high, or the opportunities for corruption aren’t as lucrative if it’s a foreign company involved? 

2 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

as a dutch I can state you that it's not only pumps... but the idea is the same.

massive dams are part of it too, pumps and dams and some say that's why dutch woman become dikes. sorry bad joke but couldn't resist.

2 hours ago, Shark said:

that's why dutch woman become dikes.

Can't confirm that, more the opposite.

At least when on holiday

But you are a durch, perhaps that is why ...? 🙊

17 hours ago, Guest1 said:

Can't confirm that, more the opposite.

At least when on holiday

But you are a durch, perhaps that is why ...? 🙊

Fair enough however I for as long as I can remember had a thing for eastern European woman.
I always get to hear that Dutch woman are hard to maintain, I have no experience on that field.

Anyways; Even if they're dikes up to them.