News Forum - Thai FDA finds harmful levels of nitrite in sausages following blood disorder reports

Thaiger

Following reports of various children developing a blood disorder after eating sausages, the Thai FDA found that a number of sausages sold in Thailand contained harmful amounts of nitrite and benzoic acid. More than 20 manufacturers are now facing fines and penalties for using harmful amounts of the substances in sausages. The investigation into sausage ingredients was prompted by the FDA after the Poison Centre of Ramathibodi Hospital found that 14 children across Thailand suffered from methemoglobinemia, a potentially fatal blood disorder, after eating sausages. High levels of nitrite can cause methemoglobinemia. The children ate sausages in Chiang Mai, Phetchaburi, […]

The story Thai FDA finds harmful levels of nitrite in sausages following blood disorder reports as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Far too many processed meats in Thailand may contain high levels of Nitrites.   Like with other chemicals, many primary user/suppliers have no training in the safe use, are probably unable to read data-sheets and comprehend safe mixing %'s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Far too many processed meats in Thailand may contain high levels of Nitrites.   Like with other chemicals, many primary user/suppliers have no training in the safe use, are probably unable to read data-sheets and comprehend safe mixing %'s.

Does that include hotdogs! I know from living here many consider a hotdog , a sausage.

Nothing like a nice dish of hotdogs and B&M baked beans to cheer a falang up!

Unfortunately B&M cant be found here, Hienz will do

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

Yes.

Hot doggers.  Call "Houston, we have a problem", after you put more mustard and ketchup on my dog.

Too long in the tooth to worry about how many I've devoured.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, palooka said:

Hot doggers.  Call "Houston, we have a problem", after you put more mustard and ketchup on my dog.

Too long in the tooth to worry about how many I've devoured.

I read the article too. Am I going to stop eating sausages? Nope.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, thaifarmer said:

Is there any info of the manufacturers of these dangerous meats? Was for instance CP involved?

Why aren’t these unlicensed factories being closed immediately? And this might explain why my spoilt rotten dogs, as of late, have been turning their noses up at the cooked snags my missus buys them daily. or it might be the heat… Regardless, official order passed down - no more snags for the mutts. Poor buggars will have to survive on chicken and beef. Or, heaven forbid, DOG FOOD! 

Edited by Fanta

59 minutes ago, thaifarmer said:

Is there any info of the manufacturers of these dangerous meats? Was for instance CP involved?

Is the pope a catholic?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Following reports of various children developing a blood disorder after eating sausages, the Thai FDA found that a number of sausages sold in Thailand contained harmful amounts of nitrite and benzoic acid. More than 20 manufacturers are now facing fines and penalties for using harmful amounts of the substances in sausages. The investigation into sausage ingredients was prompted by the FDA after the Poison Centre of Ramathibodi Hospital found that 14 children across Thailand suffered from methemoglobinemia, a potentially fatal blood disorder, after eating sausages. High levels of nitrite can cause methemoglobinemia. The children ate sausages in Chiang Mai, Phetchaburi, […]

The story Thai FDA finds harmful levels of nitrite in sausages following blood disorder reports as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Should be "14 children finds harmful levels of nitrate instead of Thai FDA"

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

Glad that FDA is doing something, at least trying