News Forum - Swimming pools built for monkeys in Lop Buri to prevent aggression from heat

Thaiger

With Thailand entering the summer season, macaque monkeys in the country’s “Monkey City,” Lop Buri, have a swimming pool to cool them off – and to prevent another as the war between the groups of macaques. As temperatures rise, so do tempers, and hot weather has possibly played a part in the massive clashes between groups of hundreds of monkeys. There have been a few so-called “monkey wars” in Lop Buri over the past two years where hundreds of monkeys swarmed the streets in a massive fight. In Lop Buri, there are two main groups of monkeys – the monkeys […]

The story Swimming pools built for monkeys in Lop Buri to prevent aggression from heat as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I’ve never been to Lop Buri, but I would like to go and see the monkey banquet in November one of these years. 

It always surprises me how monkeys in some locales are more aggressive than others. Krabi has some of the worst I’ve come across, while Prachuap Khiri Khan’s simian folk are as mellow as they come. Bit like the town itself.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

I’ve never been to Lop Buri, but I would like to go and see the monkey banquet in November one of these years. 

It always surprises me how monkeys in some locales are more aggressive than others. Krabi has some of the worst I’ve come across, while Prachuap Khiri Khan’s simian folk are as mellow as they come. Bit like the town itself.

We were in Bali and went to this park where tons of monkeys were around

My wife lasted less than 2mins and said, fcuk that and turned around

I lasted about 10mins

Monkeys always seem like a great idea, but they are little assholes  :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

We were in Bali and went to this park where tons of monkeys were around

My wife lasted less than 2mins and said, fcuk that and turned around

I lasted about 10mins

Monkeys always seem like a great idea, but they are little assholes  :)

Same for me. Sanur in Bali is awful for them, but unlike their Thai cousins, they seem to back down more readily from my experience. But you do get the odd Alpha there that will be a total a**hole.

11 minutes ago, palooka said:

Love monkeys, but think a desex program is probably more in need than a swimming pool.

You dont like to watch monkeys going at it?

How odd. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BigHewer said:

Prachuap Khiri Khan’s simian folk are as mellow as they come. Bit like the town itself.

Was in neighboring Phetchaburi visiting Phra Nakhon Khiri park which is infested with these critters.

I remember stopping at a food cart where the owner's young daughter was tasked with shooing them away with a slingshot; was quite effective (and somewhat entertaining). Sorry PETA...

Maybe their cousins to the south got the word!  

• Like 1

monkeys can be vicious creatures,the more people feed them the less inhibition they have.they are wild animals and should be left to their own lifestyle and not fed by people in my view however their habitat is rapidly being destroyed by encroachment and development.seen a few attacks on people in penang botanical gardens, there are signs about not to feed them yet still people do then freak when it gets out of control.

7 hours ago, palooka said:

Love monkeys, but think a desex program is probably more in need than a swimming pool.

And maybe a humane culling process. 

8 hours ago, JMichaels said:

I remember stopping at a food cart where the owner's young daughter was tasked with shooing them away with a slingshot; was quite effective (and somewhat entertaining).

I’d wondered whether that historical park was worth a look. Now I will go just so I can locate that food cart 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The provincial authorities and officers from San Phra Kan Shrine set up a new pond sharing that it will help avoid another clash during the hot weather. 

And win/win, new tourists attractions for later. "they build these just for the monkeys. Instead of castrating them"

• Like 1

Great the people starve but they build a pool for monkeys cut them up make meatballs the people have food and the problem finish its like the anoing dogs attack everybody nobody do nothing about them not even when there children get bitten  

16 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

The provincial authorities and officers from San Phra Kan Shrine set up a new pond sharing that it will help avoid another clash during the hot weather. 

And win/win, new tourists attractions for later. "they build these just for the monkeys. Instead of castrating them"

The monkey hot springs in Nagano draw tourists from around the world.

Perhaps this will be the Thai version?