News Forum - Bangkok doctor warns of healthcare collapse if Covid-19 is not dealt with

Thaiger

A Bangkok professor at Chulalongkorn’s Faculty of Medicine warns that Thailand’s economy isn’t strong enough to handle Covid-19 if the situation gets out of hand. He noted that Thailand’s economy is weaker than the economies of European countries. “With fewer economic resources than wealthy countries, the impact of the outbreak will be too tough to handle”. Several healthcare resources in Thailand have been overwhelmed by Covid-19 patients in recent weeks. At least 3,500 Thais couldn’t access home health services after over 70,000 people called the national Covid-19 hotline, overwhelming the system. Now, the National Health Security Office is rushing to […]

The story Bangkok doctor warns of healthcare collapse if Covid-19 is not dealt with as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Shark said:

We're not in Europe.

The way they put it is like this eminent professor made a break through discovery :

We are not in Europe and Thailand's economy is not has strong 😯😲🤯🤯🤯

These days I have a hard time convincing myself that this is real life and not a Simpsons/South Park episode 

• Haha 1

Maybe if you more effectively told the public  how to treat mild infections at home there would be less stress. But officials still fear monger and wonder why so many people turn up at hospital. 

• Like 5

All self-fulfilling prophecies... He who controls testing and reporting wins. It's either a looming disaster and we'll test more people (report more cases) to prove it, or it's completely under control and we'll test less (report fewer cases) to prove it... The answer is somewhere in the middle. An expected surge with fewer deaths, is just that... expected. #thistooshallpass

• Like 1

Blame the government goons, they are the ones who have scared everyone in Thailand sh**less, as soon as someone sneezes there is a rush to the hospital, sick or not sick they force you to go see a doctor which then adds to the burden on the hospitals, tell you that you need medication when you don't. This is what happens when Generals are trying to run something that they know nothing about.

TIT.

• Like 4

I think this guy needs taking away and giving some “attitude adjustment”. Doesn’t he read what officials have instructed the virus to do? It will be endemic by July 1st. What’s there to worry about

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Cabra said:

All self-fulfilling prophecies... He who controls testing and reporting wins. It's either a looming disaster and we'll test more people (report more cases) to prove it, or it's completely under control and we'll test less (report fewer cases) to prove it... The answer is somewhere in the middle. An expected surge with fewer deaths, is just that... expected. #thistooshallpass

But stupid last forever. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What is that idiot “professor” talking about ? a healthcare collapse over people catching a cold ? Just give then paracetamol and let them stay at home.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Graham said:

Blame the government goons, they are the ones who have scared everyone in Thailand sh**less, as soon as someone sneezes there is a rush to the hospital, sick or not sick they force you to go see a doctor which then adds to the burden on the hospitals, tell you that you need medication when you don't. This is what happens when Generals are trying to run something that they know nothing about.

TIT.

So the doctor and hospital can get money from the government. Hoopfully this wil end in july this years.

• Thanks 1

It really does illustrate the need for travel insurance in the event you cut your finger, and they amputate your arm.

• Haha 1

A doctor from Chulalongkorn warning that Covid could get out of control tells me that Covid measures are currently not under control. There’s no doubt in my mind that a typically lethargic Thai government had to shock the apathetic population into action but I doubt that is the sole reason for citizens concern. I think Omicron is far more widespread in Thailand than we are being told. Same as the pork shortages being blamed on hoarders when it was actually the swine flu. Same Old Story - Admit the truth after being proven Guilty. 

• Like 2

most people in thailand are healthier and more wear mask, than in
west europe, where many countries, ended many restrictions. make sense (?).

Edited by think-and-ask
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, think-and-ask said:

most people in thailand are healthier than in
west europe

You can add most other non Asian counties to that,Except Australia, they are buff.🙂

• Like 2

Thailand has a much better healthcare system than the Philippines, but PH Healthcare didn't collapse when we are averaging 30k per day. 

• Like 2

What an absolute load of rubbish from this professor. My son (11 yrs old 1 jab) felt unwell last Sunday but tested negative. However he did test positive on the Monday even though he felt better by then and he then tested negative on day 5 without any further illness. I fell ill on Friday and tested positive and I was ill for 24 hour but feel fine now. I'm 66 yrs old and a little overweight and had 3 jabs. My Thai niece (30 yrs and 2 jabs) tested positive and had Covid insurance. She felt ill for 1 day the same as us but was in hospital twice for chest x ray and blood pressure monitoring which is a typical over reaction to this mild illness here in Thailand. The Government announced the free healthcare for Covid finishes here in Thailand and when that does I predict the helplines will fall silent.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It is people like this guy scare mongering the less informed and either has no idea of the real state of Thailands economy or doesnt care. If they dont get the economy going there will be a lot more hungry families, more depressed and suicidal people, increased crime & money scams and so on. Its ok for this doctor and other government workers, they get paid regardless of the situation so should choose their postings with a little more thought & consideration for the greater population. Yes the hospitals may be overwhelmed if there is an out break so teach the less informed how to take care of their health at home instead of creating more fear & apprehension by these kind of posts. 

• Like 1

Some areas are overwhelmed already, no hospital beds, no field hospital vacancies, no isolation resorts, all full. Have a few places in our village that have been "roped off" and quarantine signs in place and this is with elderly people. One of the local shops has been roped off due a positive test and quarantined BUT she still opened here shop to sell goods (I know). Another quarantined household allows a young lady to exit to go to work every day on her motor bike. Wears a hospital uniform. So go figure.

No money, no live, motto takes priority.

Schools finish this week so we may see a genuine reduction in cases.

• Like 1

If the published number of infections would be correct (anywhere between 20-25K there would be little to worry about with Omikron. Germany (with only 10m more inhabitants than Thailand, has approx 10x those numbers and still the health system is not collapsing. I suspect there are way more than the reported numbers in Thailand, and that's why things might go tough.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Fundok said:

If the published number of infections would be correct (anywhere between 20-25K there would be little to worry about with Omikron. Germany (with only 10m more inhabitants than Thailand, has approx 10x those numbers and still the health system is not collapsing. I suspect there are way more than the reported numbers in Thailand, and that's why things might go tough.

No suspect about it. They openly admit they don’t include positive ATK in the official numbers. It’s at least 50,000. Reality is a real pain in the ass

• Like 2