News Forum - Federation of Thai Industries wants gov to scrap Test & Go, stop fuel price crisis

Thaiger

The Federation of Thai Industries has called on Thailand’s government to scrap the Test & Go scheme, and stop the ongoing fuel price crisis. On Thursday, the president of the federation suggested easing Test & Go to support tourism and a recovery for the Thai economy. The FTI suggested that Thailand only require fully vaccinated travellers to show proof of vaccination upon entry. It said the government should use a tracking system to monitor tourists in a way that doesn’t burden them, such as immigration using their passport system. The president also urged the government to take action to stop […]

The story Federation of Thai Industries wants gov to scrap Test & Go, stop fuel price crisis as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

“The FTI suggested that Thailand only require fully vaccinated travellers to show proof of vaccination upon entry. It said the government should use a tracking system to monitor tourists in a way that doesn’t burden them, such as immigration using their passport system”.

Th th th thats all folks ! Cctv everywhere ,including the toilets , maybe install a tracking chip in our arm too.

And totally ridiculous having exclusions for vaxers , when anyone can bring in the virus!

I say all for one or none for all imop

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, riclag said:

“The FTI suggested that Thailand only require fully vaccinated travellers to show proof of vaccination upon entry. It said the government should use a tracking system to monitor tourists in a way that doesn’t burden them, such as immigration using their passport system”.

Th th th thats all folks ! Cctv everywhere ,including the toilets , maybe install a tracking chip in our arm too.

And totally ridiculous having exclusions for vaxers , when anyone can bring in the virus!

Agreed. I’d even see some sense in a PCR before departure. But everything else is pointless

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, riclag said:

I say None for All. Stop the Covid bureaucracy and let travelers decide for themselves. They’re not bringing anything into this country that isn’t already here

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, ThaiEyes said:

I say None for All. Stop the Covid bureaucracy and let travelers decide for themselves. They’re not bringing anything into this country that isn’t already here

Good point! Brings to mind the dirty falang statement made by the glorified building tycoon ,months ago.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Agreed. I’d even see some sense in a PCR before departure. But everything else is pointless

Dread the PCR too! But if thats all I have to worry about after planning a costly trip , then I suppose I could put that to rest .

• Like 1

PCR pre departure and a vaccine cert and that's it. Nothing else will work if Thailand wants to stay relevant. 

More and more countries are requiring nothing at all. 

I can't be the only person laughing to myself on arrival at Soyouwannaboomboom, seeing all the people in Hazmat suits etc. It's just ludicrous, and they've got no idea how ridiculous they look!

Compare that to arrival in my country. No PCR needed, nothing. Just walk through get your bags, get in the car and off you go. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

I can't be the only person laughing to myself on arrival at Soyouwannaboomboom, seeing all the people in Hazmat suits etc. It's just ludicrous, and they've got no idea how ridiculous they look!

I agree. When I arrived I thought I’d stumbled on a scene from 28 Days later. It’s amazing how you get so many people to go along with the nonsense. All dressed in Hazmats, double masked and face screens. After their shift they probably don a cheap 10 baht mask and head in to a busy market for dinner. They’ve spent all day greeting people who are fully vaccinated, all had accurate PCR tests no more than 72 hours ago and spend moments in their presence. They then have dinner with hundreds, many unvaccinated and virtually none ever tested. Won’t give it a second thought. Go figure…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

I agree. When I arrived I thought I’d stumbled on a scene from 28 Days later. It’s amazing how you get so many people to go along with the nonsense. All dressed in Hazmats, double masked and face screens. After their shift they probably don a cheap 10 baht mask and head in to a busy market for dinner. They’ve spent all day greeting people who are fully vaccinated, all had accurate PCR tests no more than 72 hours ago and spend moments in their presence. They then have dinner with hundreds, many unvaccinated and virtually none ever tested. Won’t give it a second thought. Go figure…

It's lunacy. 

People protecting themselves from a bunch of people who are all vaccinated, recently negative, to then leave work and enter an environment where the virus is everywhere.

Sheer madness!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

It's lunacy. 

People protecting themselves from a bunch of people who are all vaccinated, recently negative, to then leave work and enter an environment where the virus is everywhere.

Sheer madness!

As if being vaccinated would mean anything. They're still vaccinating people for a virus that doesn't exist anymore. Anyone can carry the virus and infect others. Any negative test (not just pcr), and it'd be ok.

17 minutes ago, diegogg said:

They're still vaccinating people for a virus that doesn't exist anymore.

say what? You are misinformed my friend. 

34 minutes ago, diegogg said:

As if being vaccinated would mean anything. They're still vaccinating people for a virus that doesn't exist anymore. Anyone can carry the virus and infect others. Any negative test (not just pcr), and it'd be ok.

I don't want to get into a whole debate about vaccination, reduced transmission, and viral load etc etc....

..... But the main point is that people arriving by plane are far less of a risk than the general Thai population. 

So having all these precautions at the airport is farcical when your hazmat suit wearing official takes off their suit at the end of their shift, goes down the local talat to buy something for dinner, gets the bus home, and spends time with their family.

6 hours ago, ThaiEyes said:

They’re not bringing anything into this country that isn’t already here

I have Thai acquaintances who STILL insist that most cases are coming from tourists, and Thailand would be COVID-free within weeks if they'd simply seal the borders completely. In the same breath, these same people say they wish restrictions would end so everyone can just get back to living.

Stay away from Facebook and Twitter, folks. It's bad for your brain.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ThaiFoodGuy said:

I have Thai acquaintances who STILL insist that most cases are coming from tourists, and Thailand would be COVID-free within weeks if they'd simply seal the borders completely. In the same breath, these same people say they wish restrictions would end so everyone can just get back to living.

huh ?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

I don't want to get into a whole debate about vaccination, reduced transmission, and viral load etc etc....

..... But the main point is that people arriving by plane are far less of a risk than the general Thai population. 

So having all these precautions at the airport is farcical when your hazmat suit wearing official takes off their suit at the end of their shift, goes down the local talat to buy something for dinner, gets the bus home, and spends time with their family.

Agreed for the most part. My point is that vaccinated and not vaccinated get infected. Just a simple test would cover both. And that'd be it. Thais are all vaccinated and wear their masks even when driving their cars alone. People drive motorbikes without helmets but wearing masks. And as you said, they go about their lives, and sooner or later, everybody is getting infected. Let's move on. Curse the Russians, global warming, or whatever the main stream media schedule dictates.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ThaiFoodGuy said:

I believe the vast majority of Thais would be perfectly happy to operate like North Korea. Close the doors and keep Thailand for Thais. Most really don’t care if they never have money as long as they have enough food to eat. Of course those making good money in tourism wouldn’t be happy, but the economy, it’s currency and it’s people have survived 2 years of closure and I think many are liking it 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, ThaiFoodGuy said:

There’s something to be said for that for sure. I think it does contribute to hysteric “group think”.

Sad if Thais are attributing the ongoing case numbers to tourists. Here in Japan, there is a very different dynamic. “20-somethings” are demonized as the spreaders. But then again, we don’t have any tourists yet.

• Thanks 1

Reading some of the posts above, it appears that some people are of the opinion that the guys in hazmat suits are protecting themselves from the arriving tourists. Not true. They, (the hazmats), are in effect shielding the tourists from the virus that they may/probably have already contracted.

30 minutes ago, Pete said:

Reading some of the posts above, it appears that some people are of the opinion that the guys in hazmat suits are protecting themselves from the arriving tourists. Not true. They, (the hazmats), are in effect shielding the tourists from the virus that they may/probably have already contracted.

Umm. Nice logical thought Pete, but I’m afraid I don’t buy it. So why then do the immigration officers, who also talk to you for a min or two and check your documents sit in uniform with a simple face mask on? And given it’s only a small group of people that do the checks, if that’s the case, why aren’t they tested daily to make sure they are clear and then no need to protect us. 

No, I’m afraid this is a case of “we started off doing it this way and so we will continue this way forever”. Very little gets adapted with experience in Thailand. They see what goes on on TV and they copy the bit that makes them look special. It’s part of the reason why the country is lagging so far behind with relaxation of rules. It’s why the doctors still wear white coats and a stethoscope around their necks. Immigration officers with more medals than a war veteran. Childish role playing that’s all it is. 

• Thanks 1

Triple vaxxed and I still got infected. No symptoms beyond a cough and runny nose for a couple of days though, and I often get that just from over-enthusiastic air-con anyway. It really is time to move on - yes, the latest variant does kill people, but probably no more than most of the flu variants do. 

• Like 1

In contrast, by April 01 in the Philippines. 

* Visa-required countries (India, China) are allowed to enter as visa Issuance will resume. 

* No cap in tourist arrivals. 

Also, as of now 24-hr Antigen Test results is accepted in lieu of 48-hr RT PCR test. This is in top of no quarantine in arrival. 

Malaysia will also open its borders without quarantine and online registration. By April 01.

Thailand, on the other hand, still thinking whether to ditch Thailand Pass BY JULY. 

MY GOD. 

• Thanks 1

I agree 100% with what the President said, if vaccinated tourists show their documents and enter the country, the number of tourists will triple in a short time.