News Forum - Travel Guide: To tip or not to tip when travelling in Thailand?

Thaiger

Quite simple, tip when you appreciate the food and service regardless if you're having street food or at high end restaurants. But obviously not when theyve already added the "service charge" to the bill.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Disenfranchised said:

"JMichaels said: I rarely receive service in the US bad enough that I would not consider tipping what is minimally accepted as customary. Usually if you do, they are either having a bad day or there bad service is the result of how they are treated by the customer.  Goes both ways..."

Oh dear, you must go restaurants where a floor manager rules the wait staff with an iron hand. Frequently wait staff will:

Ignore any table not assigned to them.

Not keep an eye on those tables that are to assigned them.

This results in slow, sloppy and abysmal service compared to other countries where people are paid properly and take pride in serving their customers.

I don't know what type of places you go to

And you can say many things about the US, but bad service isn't one of them

I think service in the US is one of the best in any countries I have been to

Please come to Vancouver BC if you want to truly experience bad and slow service   😀

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dj230 said:

Am I just getting billed as a foreigner? I constantly see 10% service charges added to my bill when I eat at restaurants 

No it's quite common in tourist areas in Thailand 

So I guess yes, but it's common 

My wife does a good job of seeing if they added a 10% service charge because I always forget to look and then tip on top of that 

1 hour ago, HiuMak said:

Tipping is not a regular practice in Thailand. I tip only for good service like massage, hotel bell boys, etc.          I also tip depending on the good services I got and usually 50Baht, which can be a meal for someone in Thailand. If I have to tip over 50Baht will usually depends on events or occasion, for example when you are taken care well for having a family birthday celebration dinner.  Over Tipping is not a good practise as it encourages expectations for more tips. Don't spoil the market.   

I agree with you

I tip in tourist areas but not so much outside of those areas

I will tip in a local area if they are really good

Or if it is a younger Thai helping out

Say at a local family owned hotel and the kid is helping bring your food/drinks

Give them 50 baht and they are over the moon

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Disenfranchised said:

Depends on the type and class of restaurant. Wouldn't be suprised if they were farang owned trying to impose the American model of paying their staff where there wages subsidise the price of meals and maximise profit. After all why should should you pay the rest of the staff properly when tips garnered for service at the table can be shared amongst everyone especially the owner.

11 hours ago, Marc26 said:

No it's quite common in tourist areas in Thailand 

So I guess yes, but it's common 

My wife does a good job of seeing if they added a 10% service charge because I always forget to look and then tip on top of that 

Haven't went to an American restaurant yet, all asian, thai/japanese/korean mainly. Usually chain restaurants  at malls (central world/siam paragon) like Fuji, Gyu-kaku, sukishi, lam charoen, kub kao kub pla, som tom nua but I recall seeing service charges on almost all of them. The only places I remember not getting a 10% service charge is oishi grand/sabushi maybe because they're Japanese and tipping isn't the norm there. 

I was told by thai friends who work at restaurants that tips have to be shared amongst the entire staff so they told me not to tip them when I came, can't remember if they mentioned the owner getting a cut. 

• 3 weeks later...

I almost always tip. The only time is extremely rude service or very bad service. And it also depends if it’s within their control or not. When I travel to Thailand I do not nickel and dime but at the same time I am not extravagant I save up for my trips. I can see the extreme poverty and hardship the people here in Thailand have and I am more than happy to help them whenever I can through giving tips for even the smallest things. Remember even a small tip can pay for a meal for the locals. There is not a strong social net in this country so I hope you consider that when visiting and tipping.