News Forum - Singapore wants to attract highly skilled expats

Thaiger

Singapore has devised a new system to identify unusually high talent, or ‘super skills’ in expats. The system is points-based, and scores factors including education, skills, and how expats’ nationalities contribute to diversity in their company. It is set to start in September. Singapore’s Manpower Minister said business chambers and companies have welcomed the scheduled points system. He told Bloomberg Television the system will help them find higher-calibre foreigners. “Rather than open the door and let every single one in, what we are trying to say is that let’s have a little bit more differentiation”. Singapore faces a shortage of workers across […]

The story Singapore wants to attract highly skilled expats as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

well, Thailand has a new competitor in town, but I expect some silly rules from the Singaporean authorities, same same Thailand 🤣

Two years of saying foreigners get lost, and Singapore for Singaporeans. Now you want to cherry-pick and offer up a series of hoops for the highly talented, so they can get come and live in Singapore on the knife yet of an Employment Pass, but never get PR realistically. No thanks.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Singapore has devised a new system to identify unusually high talent, or ‘super skills’ in expats.

The girls here in Thailand have already placed me on their list of Super Skills expats. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

The girls here in Thailand have already placed me on their list of Super Skills expats. 

Yeah they need a geriatrician with experience. 😃

19 hours ago, Artemis080 said:

Two years of saying foreigners get lost, and Singapore for Singaporeans. Now you want to cherry-pick and offer up a series of hoops for the highly talented, so they can get come and live in Singapore on the knife yet of an Employment Pass, but never get PR realistically. No thanks.

For example with a German passport is quite easy to enter Singapore or Malaysia or to get business visa or work permit. You don't need any visa to enter you get at arrival a 3 month stamp without any paperwork and easy to apply for extensions or a business visa. I guess for japanese and other eu countries similiar. But I guess through covid they lost a lot of them because of international restrictions happened about covid.

21 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Singapore has devised a new system to identify unusually high talent, or ‘super skills’ in expats. The system is points-based, and scores factors including education, skills, and how expats’ nationalities contribute to diversity in their company. It is set to start in September. Singapore’s Manpower Minister said business chambers and companies have welcomed the scheduled points system. He told Bloomberg Television the system will help them find higher-calibre foreigners. “Rather than open the door and let every single one in, what we are trying to say is that let’s have a little bit more differentiation”. Singapore faces a shortage of workers across […]

The story Singapore wants to attract highly skilled expats as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Singapore lack talents? Maybe should replace all those in the cabinet as well.

• Thanks 1

Perhaps Singapore can contact TAT and request those wealthy expatriates that it is targeting and request that they send any overflow to Singapore. 

On 3/11/2022 at 3:44 PM, butterfly said:

well, Thailand has a new competitor in town, but I expect some silly rules from the Singaporean authorities, same same Thailand 🤣

start with not being allowed to walk around naked in your own home. That's silly enough for me to not want to move.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Shark said:

start with not being allowed to walk around naked in your own home. That's silly enough for me to not want to move.

No chewing gum rules kills it for me.

On 3/13/2022 at 12:53 PM, HiuMak said:

No chewing gum rules kills it for me.

That's not been enforced for years. And you can buy gum (sugarless) at pharmacies. The actual law was a ban on importation, not posession or use. It was done to prevent the "gum spots" found on certain cities sidewalks elsewhere. Still, it's a stupid law. For me the "mandatory" death penalty and caning people are the ones I disagree with most. 

Edited by Zorba_the_Geek

Maybe they should pay a visit to the North Korean embassy in Thailand. I hear there may be some technology opportunities in the offing 🤪