News Forum - Facebook relaxes rules on violent speech during Russia’s war in Ukraine

Thaiger

Facebook’s parent company, Meta, says the social media giant is temporarily easing rules on violent speech as a result of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. According to an AFP report, the invasion, which has been condemned around the world, has created a wave of anger on social media. However, while Facebook is making some allowances for that rage, it will not allow threats of violence against Russian civilians. “As a result of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, we have temporarily made allowances for forms of political expression that would normally violate our rules like violent speech such as ‘death to the […]

The story Facebook relaxes rules on violent speech during Russia’s war in Ukraine as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"It’s understood the new policy applies to users in Armenia, Azerbaijan, Estonia, Georgia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, and Ukraine. Facebook joins several other tech companies who’ve opted to punish Russia for its unprovoked attack on Ukraine."

As a general 'Rule of the Thumb', I do not want Facebook or any other social media company having too much influence on a discussion or on free speech (they are a business, not a duly constituted court), and I understand and support general curbs on the most violent calls. We should never forget the Tutsi/Hutu mass murders in Rwanda back in the 90's which were egged on by violent speeches on the radio, "The graves are not yet full, my brothers" is one phrase that I recall from that time.

However, this isn't a 'war', this is mass murder all for the ego of one man. Let the people who are closest speak and say what they know; perhaps ordinary Russians will listen and heed their voices.

I have never said this before, but good on you, Facebook.

Edited by Shade_Wilder

Now this double standard is exactly why in todays world Facebook/META is nothing more than your grandparents  photo journal and social circle. American propaganda at its finest.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Stef said:

Now this double standard is exactly why in todays world Facebook/META is nothing more than your grandparents  photo journal and social circle. American propaganda at its finest.

Facebook should be banned. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Facebook should be banned. 

I am not a fan of Facebook; I don't use Facebook and I don't particularly like Facebook or their greedy usurpation of privacy in data collection.

That said, Facebook is a good indicator when looking at the conflict.

On one side, Facebook is banned by the government. 

On the other, it is providing an outlet for people to express their horror at this conflict, and trying to balance Free Speech Rights with concerns about incitement.

I side with people's right to speak, and with attempts to not do too much harm. 

Even if it is Facebook (yuck).

Is it ethical to stand with the people who want to ban it?