News Forum - Officials warn about various scam Thailand Pass emails, some with malicious links

Thaiger

Thailand Pass applicants are being warned about numerous scam emails from accounts posing as the Department of Consular Affairs or a team from the Thailand Pass system. Some emails are requesting personal information, such as passport numbers, and others include an encrypted link. Officials haven’t confirmed if any other information besides email addresses has been compromised from the Thailand Pass system. A Thailand Pass QR Code is a requirement for those entering the country on the Test & Go or Sandbox schemes. The approval process can take a week, but while waiting to hear back, travellers are being warned about […]

The story Officials warn about various scam Thailand Pass emails, some with malicious links as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

It’s seems to happen to a lot of us who already have our pass and are here in Thailand. Don’t open if you suspect funny link. I sent mine to Same link I applied and succeeded in.  USA I CONTACTED consulate on LINE APP.  image.thumb.png.8b95a82ccc06adb92284c2a94eef7a52.png

Been back from Thailand for a couple of weeks. Received a number of mails from

Thailand Pass <support@consular-passport.com>

Heading:

There are a New updates regarding your submitted information Thailand Pass

Body:

Hi , {my email I used to apply for the Thai Pass}

Th system noticed some problems in the documents you submitted to the embassy

ระบบ Th สังเกตเห็นปัญหาบางอย่างในเอกสารที่คุณส่งไปยังสถานทูต

You should correct some information so that you are not held responsible by the government

คุณควรแก้ไขข้อมูลบางอย่างเพื่อที่คุณจะได้ไม่ต้องรับผิดชอบต่อรัฐบาล

Please reply to this message and write the following information

โปรดตอบกลับข้อความนี้และเขียนข้อมูลต่อไปนี้

Your full name.

Date of birth

Last 4 digits of the passport

So everyone: be aware and never ever send the requested information!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Thailand Pass applicants are being warned about numerous scam emails from accounts posing as the Department of Consular Affairs or a team from the Thailand Pass system.

Well …. Must be the same crowd that issues SHA+ certification to the Pattaya restaurants and hotels 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thats why i used a company to do my process.Took 3 days before i get approved.I send the company my details and proof of incurance,my PP,my confirmed hotelbooking thru Agoda.This company is real and wery helpful.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, stigarne said:

Thats why i used a company to do my process.Took 3 days before i get approved.I send the company my details and proof of incurance,my PP,my confirmed hotelbooking thru Agoda.This company is real and wery helpful.

Do you mind giving the contacts for this company?

9 hours ago, stigarne said:

The Thai Pass App is a pain, but I am not ready to pay a 3rd party service provider for something I can do myself. The problem is not to get the application done, the problem is that the Thai authorities aren't able to protect the data they request. I have no idea if only my email got stolen or also other information I had to submit since the Thai authorities have been anything but transparent so far. I hope it's only the email address and since those phishers try to get more data from me I suspect they didn't get their filthy fingers on all those attachments - but this is only my hope, no certainty.

13 hours ago, stigarne said:

4 hours ago, Fundok said:

The Thai Pass App is a pain, but I am not ready to pay a 3rd party service provider for something I can do myself. The problem is not to get the application done, the problem is that the Thai authorities aren't able to protect the data they request. I have no idea if only my email got stolen or also other information I had to submit since the Thai authorities have been anything but transparent so far. I hope it's only the email address and since those phishers try to get more data from me I suspect they didn't get their filthy fingers on all those attachments - but this is only my hope, no certainty.

I did that because so many reports about scam emails.This was a safe way to do it.Didnt get any problems.

If you recommend an agent, please do so via PM as above.
The member must then make an informed decision whether to trust the site or not.

The forum cannot take any responsibility for members using such sites in the wake of so many scams.

Moderator.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, stigarne said:

I did that because so many reports about scam emails.This was a safe way to do it.Didnt get any problems.

Isn't it a bit like fighting the Devil with Satan? To get the Thai Pass a lot of personal information has to be disclosed to the Thai authorities, either by submitting the data directly or via a 3rd party provider. By using the latter you double the number of recipients and in addition to being subjected to the uncertainties of how the Thai authorities protect your data you have to contemplate how the 3rd party service provider safeguards your data. Even if the service provider ticks all the boxes, the insufficiencies of the data protection by the Thai authorities remain. Doesn't matter if you submit the data yourself or through a service provider: if the "Thai Pass"-database gets hacked, your data is up for grabs irrespective by whom it got fed into the database.

So I am afraid that neither you nor I can have any level of confidence on how safe/protected our data really is. Only that you also need to worry how effective your service provider is protecting your data on top of it.

PS. For those who haven't applied for a Thai Pass: inter alia you must upload s passport copy and copies of your vaccination certificates.

• Like 2

On 3/11/2022 at 7:50 AM, Fundok said:

Isn't it a bit like fighting the Devil with Satan? To get the Thai Pass a lot of personal information has to be disclosed to the Thai authorities, either by submitting the data directly or via a 3rd party provider. By using the latter you double the number of recipients and in addition to being subjected to the uncertainties of how the Thai authorities protect your data you have to contemplate how the 3rd party service provider safeguards your data. Even if the service provider ticks all the boxes, the insufficiencies of the data protection by the Thai authorities remain. Doesn't matter if you submit the data yourself or through a service provider: if the "Thai Pass"-database gets hacked, your data is up for grabs irrespective by whom it got fed into the database.

So I am afraid that neither you nor I can have any level of confidence on how safe/protected our data really is. Only that you also need to worry how effective your service provider is protecting your data on top of it.

PS. For those who haven't applied for a Thai Pass: inter alia you must upload s passport copy and copies of your vaccination certificates.

I understand what you mean.Anyway i have good experience using that company.I even get offered thaipass service thru the hotel i booked ,but i choosed the other.