TAT asked to make changes to Phuket sandbox before submitting for final approval

Thaiger

The Tourism Authority of Thailand has been asked to make some changes to the Phuket “sandbox” scheme before submitting it to the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration. Apisamai Srirangson from the CCSA says the government’s Covid-19 task force wants clarification on the safety measures aimed at controlling Covid-19 when the plan is implemented from July 1. “The sub-committee is concerned about public understanding of the tourism programme’s Covid-19 safety measures, which may still worry many people as to what action will be taken in the event of new infections. So, the province has agreed to improve public understanding about its […]

The post TAT asked to make changes to Phuket sandbox before submitting for final approval appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

And why will they not state exactly what those changes are???  Imagine a country run by multiple committees and departments all with different agendas, with about 70 Regional Governments all implementing things their own way, and none of them prepared to compromise for the benefit of the people - welcome to Thailand. 

• Haha 2

Just wondering what all this testing will cost us tourists when we get there as testing is free in our own country?

i'm one of those who lets others dive in to see how deep the water is before i venture in!! 

best to let the first batch of brave tourists find out the exact details and then The Thaiger can report it. but no doubt, things will change.

i'm aiming for mid-sep re-entry.

• Cool 1

40 minutes ago, Michelle303 said:

Just wondering what all this testing will cost us tourists

Yes, you may well wonder and, just like the questions on the 'sandbox' time-scale, these test-cost queries will sadly be difficult to find answers for, Thai officialdom being as casual as it is.

But, that sad stuff aside, let me welcome you to T-T, where I'm sure you'll find lots of happier stuff.

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

KC

the first to abandon this project will be the airlines when they have no reservations.  They will not go back and forth from Phuket in empty planes.

• Cool 1

This running headless chickens shows exactly the situation of all. Every tourist has to realize that there can come everyday another madness but with no escape, because you are a prisoner on the Island Alcatraz!

• Cool 1

So far the visitor has to use Thai Airways part of the route to Thailand. A bankrupt Airline that might not fly and gives no refunds.

Have a test not knowing the cost, and spend 14 days in one of the expensive hotel. £85 a night one of them.

Most bars are not open. Most restaurants are not open. Most attractions are closed. They also have to pay much more that a Thai for all National Park admissions.

There is an alcohol ban, and anytime while the visitor is on Phuket they can be tested, found to be infected, and then they are locked in quarantine at their own expense.

Plus there is insurance, plus any other bit of expensive paper these beribboned bureaucratics dream up and impose.

Do these stupid Thais think the world loves Thailand so much that they will stand for all that?

• Cool 2

3 hours ago, Michelle303 said:

Just wondering what all this testing will cost us tourists when we get there as testing is free in our own country?

3000 Baht per test per person.

On arrival - and again after 3 or 5 days - and I believe again before allowed to leave Phuket.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TobyAndrews said:

So far the visitor has to use Thai Airways part of the route to Thailand. A bankrupt Airline that might not fly and gives no refunds.

Have a test not knowing the cost, and spend 14 days in one of the expensive hotel. £85 a night one of them.

Most bars are not open. Most restaurants are not open. Most attractions are closed. They also have to pay much more that a Thai for all National Park admissions.

There is an alcohol ban, and anytime while the visitor is on Phuket they can be tested, found to be infected, and then they are locked in quarantine at their own expense.

Plus there is insurance, plus any other bit of expensive paper these beribboned bureaucratics dream up and impose.

Do these stupid Thais think the world loves Thailand so much that they will stand for all that?

You forgot - they must also wear a mask at all time - including if they ride a bike on the roads!!

And all of those conditions have not yet been approved - there may be more imposed next week.

And all of those conditions can be changed at any time - or withdrawn.

And if you test positive (false or not) you will be taken to a 'covid hospital' and locked up there for 14 days minimum even if your trip is only for 10 days - all at your expense and probably no refunds from hotel/airline.

I love Thailand - been there many times since 2012 - lived there for years - but no way would I risk this 'sandbox' farce.  If yopu must go to Phuket then I recommend you wait until the whole island is inoculated (Oct/Nov?) and then look seriously at it.  Whether it is a disaster or a success, will become clear after a few months.  We will not be visiting Thailand again until 2022 sometime - unless things dramatically improve across the whole country.

• Like 1
  • Cool 3

3 hours ago, Michelle303 said:

Along with everything else encompassing the 'scambox', it won't be cheap.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

25 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

You forgot - they must also wear a mask at all time - including if they ride a bike on the roads!!

And all of those conditions have not yet been approved - there may be more imposed next week.

And all of those conditions can be changed at any time - or withdrawn.

And if you test positive (false or not) you will be taken to a 'covid hospital' and locked up there for 14 days minimum even if your trip is only for 10 days - all at your expense and probably no refunds from hotel/airline.

I love Thailand - been there many times since 2012 - lived there for years - but no way would I risk this 'sandbox' farce.  If yopu must go to Phuket then I recommend you wait until the whole island is inoculated (Oct/Nov?) and then look seriously at it.  Whether it is a disaster or a success, will become clear after a few months.  We will not be visiting Thailand again until 2022 sometime - unless things dramatically improve across the whole country.

But in 120 days time you can follow Prayut's 'Yellow Brick Road'.  No more quarantine, maybe the odd vaccination here and there. Welcome to the new look Thailand (or Neverland).

• Haha 1
  • Cool 1

40 minutes ago, Tjampman said:

No, you can choose what ever airline you want, in July there are more than 30 airlines flying into phuket

No, these are not ASQ hotels, prices are expected to be more competetive.

No bars are open! So that is actually worse than what you state ?

Why do you think you need to have a insurance that specifically pays for hospital costs in case you get covid.

If you know you need insurance why are you complaining you need to pay hospital?

And what other expensive documents do you need?

What you need is insurance, flight ticket, hotel booking to get the COE which is free.

It is OK to feel grumpy, but why spout all this nonsens, when you obviously don't seem to know what you are talking about.

A health insurance not pay for the quarantine in a hospital! insurance only pay anything if you have symptoms that only can traeted in a hospital!

• Cool 1

3 hours ago, Tjampman said:

No, you can choose what ever airline you want, in July there are more than 30 airlines flying into phuket

No, these are not ASQ hotels, prices are expected to be more competetive.

No bars are open! So that is actually worse than what you state ?

Why do you think you need to have a insurance that specifically pays for hospital costs in case you get covid.

If you know you need insurance why are you complaining you need to pay hospital?

And what other expensive documents do you need?

What you need is insurance, flight ticket, hotel booking to get the COE which is free.

It is OK to feel grumpy, but why spout all this nonsens, when you obviously don't seem to know what you are talking about.

I do know what I am talking about. I checked on the flights from Europe to Phuket. They all include Thai Airways part of the trip.

If you knew as much as you claim, you would know some bars are secretly open in Phuket, but you would have to know where to find them. So as I wrote most bars are not open.

You state the ASQ hotels will remain competitive. Who with, all the other most expensive hotels spars and resorts on the island? They are operating a monopoly and will keep the prices high. How you even checked one nights price of these ASQ, or are you just posting your considered opinion?

Next where is the word hospital in my post? I did not write hospital. I wrote quarantine, yet you waffle on about insurance paying for hospital bills. Nothing to do with my post. Read, and learn. Quarantine, not hospital.

You seem to think I wrote: and what other expensive documents do you need? I did not. I wrote: plus any other bits of expensive paper the beribboned bureaucratic can dream up and impose.

I first came to Thailand in 1988. 

I have spent six years living in Pattaya.

I have lived here in Phnom Penh for 15 months. So I know what I am talking about. Surely I am bound to have picked up a bit of knowledge by this time.

Edited by King Cotton
Offensive content deleted. Please refrain from insulting remarks.

For the record, as I understand it ...

Phuket's SHA approved hotels, resorts and other venues are not the same as ASQ facilities in Bangkok.  A SHA hotel will most likely be competitively priced for a 2 week stay.  One beachfront resort I checked was quoting all incl accom with breakfast at ~36,000 baht for a 2 week stay.  I know the property and their 44 sq/m rooms are well appointed.

Yes, some illegal alcohol sales exist, if drinking Thai whisky out of a chipped mug beside the beach while looking over your shoulder appeals.  Otherwise buy at the 7-11 and drink in room.

Thai Airways, Qatar, Etihad, Emirates and a few others will be flying into HKT from Europe and the ME.

A +ve covid test does not necessarily indicate infection, as tests are not 100% accurate, but could mean isolation, not hospitalisation.

16 minutes ago, Tjampman said:

I could go on. But you are ruining my mood.

Yes, Tjampman, I fully understand where you're coming from, but you could have better-made your point by directing it solely to your mood-spoiler by starting your post by quoting a few words from his post, as I've done here. Okay?

5 hours ago, TobyAndrews said:

You nailed it, these stupid Thais think the world loves Thailand so much that they will stand for all that. That is one of the main problems with LOScam.

They thinking that LOScam is the center of the universe where in reality LOScam is noting else than a third world country pimped up by a huge marketing campaign.

This may have worked in the past when LOScam was able to attract masses of cheap charlie retires, backpackers and other scumbags. Problem now is that this kind of people simply not have the funds to pay up all the requirements and all other potential short term visitors are not willing to run trough all this procedures or are simply able to run an excel table which shows them that there is better quality for less cost elsewhere.

The years of LOScam as a 'worldclass tourist destination' as claimed by the authorities are gone forever and rightly so.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, Tjampman said:

Just to clear up some misunderstandings

Flights into phuket after July 1

https://www.thephuketnews.com/direct-flights-to-phuket-to-start-july-1-80180.php

There are gonna be others on top of these.

I don't know where you are traveling from, so perhaps Thai Airways is the best way for you

Bars

Bars are closed. And I am not stating that nobody crosses at red lights. Expect to get heavy fines if you get caught in those bars.

Hotels

https://www.agoda.com/da-dk/search?city=16056&cid=1844104&selectedproperty=443332&checkIn=2021-07-12&checkOut=2021-07-26&los=14&rooms=1&adults=2&children=0

You don't need to stay in ASQ hotels which was my point. I can find hotels for 500 baht a day with SHA+

Feel free to be critical but try to stay positive!

Maybe you not live in Thailand and thats why you not understand Toby and the system in Thailand about if you get testet positive in Thailand. If you get a positive test in Thailand they force you to go the hospital or a field hospital organized by the government and it is not covert by the regular health insurance and they charge you 180 000 baht for it. 

Selfish people concerned about their holidays when foreigners in Phuket still haven’t been vaccinated. Stay away until vulnerable people are safe. 

51 minutes ago, HonestMart said:

Selfish people concerned about their holidays when foreigners in Phuket still haven’t been vaccinated. Stay away until vulnerable people are safe. 

Except that’s not what Thailand wants, they want tourists to return, they want them now and want lots of them. The problem is in true Thai fashion, the plan disorganized, overly bureaucratic and confusing. They want tourists yet set up a system that makes it as unwelcoming as possible. Can you really blame the tourists for complaining about unnecessary and confusing rules? If you are not vaccinated yet, telling tourists to stay away doesn’t help you. After all, one is the main drivers of rapid vaccination in Thailand is the need to reopen for tourism. Fact is you are safer around an incoming tourists than you are around a local. 

• Like 1

For the sake of the Thai people, I hope it works, but I can not see this drawing many folks.  Way to many restrictions and absolutely vague information concerning specifics. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tjampman said:

Just to clear up some misunderstandings

Flights into phuket after July 1

https://www.thephuketnews.com/direct-flights-to-phuket-to-start-july-1-80180.php

There are gonna be others on top of these.

I don't know where you are traveling from, so perhaps Thai Airways is the best way for you

Bars

Bars are closed. And I am not stating that nobody crosses at red lights. Expect to get heavy fines if you get caught in those bars.

Hotels

https://www.agoda.com/da-dk/search?city=16056&cid=1844104&selectedproperty=443332&checkIn=2021-07-12&checkOut=2021-07-26&los=14&rooms=1&adults=2&children=0

You don't need to stay in ASQ hotels which was my point. I can find hotels for 500 baht a day with SHA+

Feel free to be critical but try to stay positive!

Ha I repeat every flight from Europe includes a leg of the  Journey by Thai Airways. Thai Smile is part of Thai Airways.

And as for this claim that an ASQ hotel in Phuket costs B500. Prove it! Anyone believe this?

Anyone find one. Give me a link.

Why am I even responding to this. When were you last in Thailand?