Wise Transfer Over 50k Baht Still Has Issues

JustAnotherExpat

Monday 7 March around 11:30 a.m. I initiated a Wise transfer for a little over 65k baht from my US account to my SCB account. I've done transfers successfully in amounts under 50k for years. This time it choked. I contacted their support and received this message: "... we had some technical issues with all transfers to THB earlier. Our team is working on this and will resume the transfer." I asked several times of this was because I exceeded the 50k limit and they ignored every such message.

The transfer arrived 9 March around 2:00 p.m. This is just an FYI.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, JustAnotherExpat said:

Monday 7 March around 11:30 a.m. I initiated a Wise transfer for a little over 65k baht from my US account to my SCB account. I've done transfers successfully in amounts under 50k for years. This time it choked. I contacted their support and received this message: "... we had some technical issues with all transfers to THB earlier. Our team is working on this and will resume the transfer." I asked several times of this was because I exceeded the 50k limit and they ignored every such message.

The transfer arrived 9 March around 2:00 p.m. This is just an FYI.

Thanks

Is this your primary go to for transfers?What other methods do you have besides Wise?

1 hour ago, riclag said:

Thanks

Is this your primary go to for transfers?What other methods do you have besides Wise?

I had to use a normal UK international bank transfer last week to transfer 500K Baht to my SCB account.  Wise didn't seem to be able to handle it and kept freezing.  Went back later to Wise  to transfer another 10,000 Baht and had no trouble at all.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, riclag said:

Thanks

I currently have no other method and I am starting to seriously search for alternatives. Of my last three transfers, two choked. They get there eventually, but it's not like the tried and true TransferWise.

Edited by JustAnotherExpat
added ideas

1 hour ago, JustAnotherExpat said:

I currently have no other method and I am starting to seriously search for alternatives. Of my last three transfers, two choked. They get there eventually, but it's not like the tried and true TransferWise.

I was looking to transfer 2mil in May

And I will actually be in Thailand 

So can't do it from my bank in Canada because I have to physically go in the branch 

30 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

So can't do it from my bank in Canada because I have to physically go in the branch 

If you go for digital banking, which in the UK at least, does not require a personal visit to the bank, you get issued , again in the UK, with  a card reader which means that you can transfer funds from anywhere in the world, provided you have with you a debit card and the reader.  Don't know if this helps, but for a UK bank its fairly simple to set up, if expensive.

14 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I wouldn't depend on Wise for this amount, even if you are sending it to one of the three they claim are authorized to received over 50k baht.

I grow weary of this kind of bs in this day and age.

On 3/10/2022 at 3:45 AM, JustAnotherExpat said:

I wouldn't depend on Wise for this amount, even if you are sending it to one of the three they claim are authorized to received over 50k baht.

I grow weary of this kind of bs in this day and age.

I've kept more than that in a Wise account for over a year. It's fine, they are just another bank. And they are regulated. 

• 1 month later...

I still like Wise. Some recent changes for amounts over 50k dont really bother me, but I can understand if you running a business here or perhaps buying a car or property. Sprung a new one the other day though when I transferred some money into my wifes local GSB account and it asked for my nationality. Thats a new one. Possibly due to the Ukraine situation and sanctions. I think a lot of these things are just to be in compliance with Thai government rules and in some cases, U.K rules, since it is a London based business.

Dont use your Wise account for crypto is one piece of definate advice I can give....from experience. 

At least most transfers are instant now. Thats an improvement on the situation a few years ago. It makes life much easier.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2022 at 12:44 AM, Sparktrader said:

I've kept more than that in a Wise account for over a year. It's fine, they are just another bank. And they are regulated. 

Wise is another bank? What currencies can we deposit in Wise without being in that country?

9 hours ago, ericthai said:

Wise is another bank? What currencies can we deposit in Wise without being in that country?

There is a list of about 50 countries

I currently have Thai Baht, USD and Canadian dollar

I am in Thailand now and been using the Wise Card Visa for hotel bookings and dinners in THB

It's been great!

Also took out 8500 baht at airport with no charge from Wise, just the 220baht from Thai Bank 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marc26 said:

There is a list of about 50 countries

I currently have Thai Baht, USD and Canadian dollar

I am in Thailand now and been using the Wise Card Visa for hotel bookings and dinners in THB

It's been great!

Also took out 8500 baht at airport with no charge from Wise, just the 220baht from Thai Bank 

What are the financial or citizenship requirements to apply for this Wise visa card? Do they have an annual fee charge?

2 hours ago, ericthai said:

What are the financial or citizenship requirements to apply for this Wise visa card? Do they have an annual fee charge?

I don't think there are any requirements 

The only thing is the ATM limits and fees are different depending on what country the card is issued in

For Canada I cab do 2 ATM withdrawals totalling 350cad for free

Then after a % of the amount withdrawn js charged

But I've been using the debit card to pay in Thai Baht now that I am in Thailand 

On 5/3/2022 at 12:50 PM, ericthai said:

No annual fee.
Just register, although confirmation of ID and address may be requested.

I just transferred over 400,000 THB to my Bangkok Bank account, no problem.

1 minute ago, Faz said:

No annual fee.
Just register, although confirmation of ID and address may be requested.

I just transferred over 400,000 THB to my Bangkok Bank account, no problem.

I tried to transfer 2mil but what happens is I basically have to go into my bank and do a wire transfer to Wire Canadian Bank, then they do the transfer

I don't know what the limit would be to jot have to do that 

I just ended up transferring CAD from my RBC bank to Bangkok Bank

Not the best rate but easier

Next time I will do the Wire transfer 

23 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I tried to transfer 2mil but what happens is I basically have to go into my bank and do a wire transfer to Wire Canadian Bank, then they do the transfer

Even for online banking?

I have a UK nationwide account, debit card and card reader.
I can log in to my UK online acc using my debit card and card reader to make a transaction wherever I want.
My Wise account is based at their UK office.
The UK uses the 'faster payments' service, meaning instantaneous transfer and free to any other UK account.

I tend to transfer as required.
I log into my Nationwide account to transfer to my Wise account.
Then log into my Wise account (which already states the funds from my UK account have been received) to complete the transfer to my Bangkok Bank account.

There is a limit of $50,000 USD per transaction through Wise from a personal account.
That's not to say you can't make more than one transaction.

9 minutes ago, Faz said:

Even for online banking?

I have a UK nationwide account, debit card and card reader.
I can log in to my UK online acc using my debit card and card reader to make a transaction wherever I want.
My Wise account is based at their UK office.
The UK uses the 'faster payments' service, meaning instantaneous transfer and free to any other UK account.

I tend to transfer as required.
I log into my Nationwide account to transfer to my Wise account.
Then log into my Wise account (which already states the funds from my UK account have been received) to complete the transfer to my Bangkok Bank account.

There is a limit of $50,000 USD per transaction through Wise from a personal account.
That's not to say you can't make more than one transaction.

I usually send to my wife's Thai bank from an "outside bank" (my bank)

But I have USD/CAD/THB accounts set up in Wise so maybe I can do it from there

Not planning on sending about 2.5mil for a bit now 555