News Forum - Pattaya business owners claim authorities issued fake, overpriced SHA+ certificates

Thaiger

A number of business owners in Pattaya say they were duped into buying fake documents to certify that they meet standards set by Thailand’s Safety and Health Administration. When authorities inspected their businesses, they discovered the SHA+ documents had been fabricated. Some say they even paid thousands of baht to have the certification process expedited. Around 20 business owners from Jomtien – Pattaya Entrepreneurs Club met Pattaya Deputy Governor Wuttisak Rurmkitjakan to complain that they had paid a high price for SHA+ certificates and other business documents, which they later discovered were fake. They say a person who identified themselves […]

The story Pattaya business owners claim authorities issued fake, overpriced SHA+ certificates as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

These businesses knew full well that they were participants in a scam and hoped to be able to avoid having to undergo the certification process. So they are due no sympathy for having been duped by a corrupt official or a clever imposter. The authorities must now make every one of these businesses go back through the correct process or else they will destroy the validity of the SHA scheme.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

A number of business owners in Pattaya say they were duped into buying fake documents to certify that they meet standards set by Thailand’s Safety and Health Administration.

Nice to see it’s not only Tourists that Thais scam. …. 

4 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Why is that nice?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Absolutely. A Thai car repair shop owner once said to me. “Thais will rip off Thais without a second thought. Tourists have no chance”. It’s part of their DNA. If you are in a position of authority and have the chance to make money with bribes and workarounds, they will do it. 

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Pompies said:

These businesses knew full well that they were participants in a scam and hoped to be able to avoid having to undergo the certification process. So they are due no sympathy for having been duped by a corrupt official or a clever imposter. The authorities must now make every one of these businesses go back through the correct process or else they will destroy the validity of the SHA scheme.

It’s very interesting how based on a short article you know all the circumstances of these cases and that they knew they were being defrauded. 

I do agree it’s a “scheme” but the SHA certification is meaningless to many.  If you really think you won’t catch covid because the place is certified that’s on you. 

The fact is needless bureaucracy breeds corruption. Just let the rest of businesses open without charging for needless licenses and certifications. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, JJJ said:

It’s very interesting how based on a short article you know all the circumstances of these cases and that they knew they were being defrauded. 

I do agree it’s a “scheme” but the SHA certification is meaningless to many.  If you really think you won’t catch covid because the place is certified that’s on you. 

The fact is needless bureaucracy breeds corruption. Just let the rest of businesses open without charging for needless licenses and certifications. 

I agree with the Needless bureaucracy breeds corruption comment. However, the idea of SHA certification seems sound to me. The problem is it needs to be operated without corruption. It was supposed to be a certification to show the establishment had the correct protocols in place. Things such as wearing mask. Sanitising touch surfaces etc. 

The problem is in the Thai system of endemic corruption. It’s helpful some times to think about how this impacts on every single aspect of life. I’ll give you just one example:

A friend of mine recently bought a house with his Thai wife in a housing development near Udon Thani. Having moved in about 6 months ago, he noticed several errors with the electrical wiring. Incorrectly rated circuit breakers. Swapped live and neutrals etc. he asked his wife if new build properties have to meet certain standards of build, such as electrical safety inspection tests. Yes was her reply. But if it’s too expensive to repair the problem then they will just pay the inspector and they will issue the document. 

Electrical safety and yet there are people prepared to falsify and issue compliance documents for a fee. These people want exposing and hanging out to dry, or just hanging. It affects every thing done in the country. Quality of road surfaces. School grades. Entry to universities. Motor vehicle inspections. Drink driving. The right to develop land. Calibration of medical equipment in hospitals. Even murder. When you stop and think about it, you start to appreciate why it’s such an unequal society. If you have the money you can do anything. If you don’t, you end up in jail. Land of Smiles? 😂😂

• Thanks 1

Almost every beer bar in Pattaya Soi Buakhao open and many in Jomtien not eligible for SHA  Certificate because cannot be classified as "restaurants" because no kitchen on premises.... but police ignore this covid business requirement.

Hmmmm... Ouji Board knows why Pattaya Police ignore this.

Any guesses why?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JJJ said:

I was staying in a SHA+ hotel which were proudly disply a sign saying 70% of their staff were vaccinated

5 minutes ago, Thommo said:

I was staying in a SHA+ hotel which were proudly disply a sign saying 70% of their staff were vaccinated

That one I do find strange. Vaccination protects the individual from severe symptoms. I’m not sure what that has to do with SHA accreditation. It’s an obvious piece of reassurance, though apart from that, of little practical use. 

29 minutes ago, JackMeOff said:

Almost every beer bar in Pattaya Soi Buakhao open and many in Jomtien not eligible for SHA  Certificate because cannot be classified as "restaurants" because no kitchen on premises.... but police ignore this covid business requirement.

Hmmmm... Ouji Board knows why Pattaya Police ignore this.

Any guesses why?

Exactly. Even in times of a major health crisis, the very people who should be enforcing the laws, use it as an opportunity to embezzle money. 

The only way these things change is for the leader of the country to surround himself in like minded people and make examples of corrupt people. Those hotel owners who engaged in fake SHA certification should be totally destroyed. Close the business completely. Ban the individual or any family member from ever gaining a hotel operators licence ever again. Fine the miserable SOB’s 5 million baht and imprison them for 5 years. Then the message that corruption doesn’t work may start to get through. The only and significant flaw in my argument being, that it’s impossible to find a leader and 10 other cabinet members who aren’t corrupt. Thailand was never colonised. Perhaps now is a good time for them to request it !!! 

• Like 2

So scammer are complaining publicly about, that the scam, to become SHT+ certified without fullfilling the needs, but for money , was a scam?

You cant make this sh.. up.

Shame them by name them 

• Like 1

Classic 😂 Thailand's government and businesses continues to do everything in their power to instill as little confidence in everything they do. The grift is astounding but sadly not unexpected.