News Forum - Ambassador says Thailand must adapt tourism for Russians in current crisis

Thaiger

Even though 6,000 Russian and Ukrainian tourists are stuck in Thailand due to the current crisis, Thailand’s ambassador to Russia said Thailand needs to form new tourism tactics for them. The ambassador told the Bangkok Post Thailand should adapt tourism to help with Russians’ needs in the current crisis. One idea he suggested was an app to let Russians use digital money or crypto currency. This week, Mastercard and Visa suspended services in Russia, and to cards issued in Russia being used abroad. The ambassador also said food tourism should market cheaper food to Russians, instead of just marketing delicacies […]

The story Ambassador says Thailand must adapt tourism for Russians in current crisis as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Even though 6,000 Russian and Ukrainian tourists are stuck in Thailand due to the current crisis, Thailand’s ambassador to Russia said Thailand needs to form new tourism tactics for them. The ambassador told the Bangkok Post Thailand should adapt tourism to help with Russians’ needs in the current crisis. One idea he suggested was an app to let Russians use digital money or crypto currency. This week, Mastercard and Visa suspended services in Russia, and to cards issued in Russia being used abroad. The ambassador also said food tourism should market cheaper food to Russians, instead of just marketing delicacies […]

The story Ambassador says Thailand must adapt tourism for Russians in current crisis as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

If they offer special packages for the Russians  they should also do so for other tourists. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Read the full story

This ambassador is really a clown. As Einstein mentioned stupidity has no end.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

They should get the Chinese (Pnuts mates) to allow transit in China (who are still flying to Moscow) and send the lot home before it becomes a bigger problem.  Some may still have the means to pay their way.

Putin definitely isn't going to help them, mind, some might be wanting to stay if they are conscription age or there abouts. 

• Like 1

Just now, Stardust said:

This ambassador is really a clown. As Einstein mentioned stupidity has no end.

Info the clown ambassador Russia is rated to go bankrupt very soon, just for info and to use Rubel they are happy to buy a bread. And which planes and Airline? Stupidity really has no end. I guess he never learned to read, for example the new ratings about Russia from international rating agencies who are used worldwide and maybe the Rubel rates, just as a tip. With such anouncemebt he made himself to stupiest ambassador and clown world wide and on the international stage and every country in the world will ask themself how such an empty head and clown can become an ambassador.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ukraine-russia-credit-rating-junk/

https://www.reuters.com/business/finance/moodys-cuts-russia-rating-ca-rise-default-risk-2022-03-06/

Etc etc

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

If they offer special packages for the Russians  they should also do so for other tourists. 

Agree, maybe ask every tourist his yearly income and stipulate the prices accordingly

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alavan said:

Agree, maybe ask every tourist his yearly income and stipulate the prices accordingly

With proving bank statements (and of course certified by bank) in triplicate. Copy of TM30. 

45 minutes ago, Stardust said:

With such anouncemebt he made himself to stupiest ambassador and clown world wide and on the international stage and every country in the world will ask themself how such an empty head and clown can become an ambassador.

But the Thai government will of course follow his lead, as they are same peas in a pod so to speak 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Never mind finding ways to get around sanctions….charter a few flights to return any Russians back to their homeland. 
by all means go ahead and extend visas, etc. for any Ukrainians stuck here; but send the Russians home!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Read the full story

The only adaptation that comes to my mind is to give the Russians the same humanitarian treatment they give to the Ukrainians who are deprived of food, water and electricity (no heating not that much of an issue in Thailand). During the bombing and artillery shelling Ukrainians have to hide in basements and underground parking lots, so there we have an opportunity not to be lost to offer the Russias affordable accomodation which will help to develop empathy for the Ukranians at the same time.

On a more serious note: Russia has launched a war on Ukraine, unprovoked, and from the pictures one can see they were not shy to attack civilian targets which in my view tantamounts to war crimes. There should be no country "accomodating" the "needs" of Russian tourists anywhere because under these circumstances there should be no Russian tourists anymore. The difficulties of the Russian tourists are stemming from the sanctions that were imposed because of Russias agression. By no means Thailand (or any other tourism destination for this sake) should undertake any effort to cushion the (intended) effect of those sanctions.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Fundok said:

The only adaptation that comes to my mind is to give the Russians the same humanitarian treatment they give to the Ukrainians who are deprived of food, water and electricity (no heating not that much of an issue in Thailand).

And since Thais minimum pension per month is 600Thb if they give a handout more than this there may just be a Thai outcry. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The ambassador also said food tourism should market cheaper food to Russians, instead of just marketing delicacies […]

Always easy to pronounce what "others should do"  You have restaurants already struggling asked to make a further sacrifice. 

Don't get me wrong, I emphatise with the plight of the Russian and Ukranian people who are here.  If they did not plan with any hard currency such as Euro, Sterling, or USD I don't know how they can get lodging or food since their currency is all but worthless and few are exchanging it for baht. 

If anything the government should provide modest housing, food, and medical care for those who are the equivalent of war refugees. 

6 minutes ago, Transam said:

Many Thais don't have that luxury of modest housing, food and medical care...

You are correct but the problem is now thrust on the door step of Thailand.  If these people are here, can not get lodging, or food what do you do?   You can either arrange transport back to their home countries assuming that is possible or let them starve in the streets.  I suggest the latter would be particularly detrimental to future Russian tourisms if and when that ever happens. 

4 minutes ago, Transam said:

Many Thais don't have that luxury of modest housing, food and medical care...

It is the onus of the Russian Embassy to fix things. How about a plane load of  foreign cash that is probably lurking in vaults in Russia...😋

Or a planeload full of Russians just leaving Thailand and go back where they belong? Thailand is not responsible for the sanctions, Russia is. So Russia needs to fix it, no one else.

One easy remedy comes to my mind: stop the war, pull back the troups, return Krimea to Ukraine and use the 600+ bn stash of currency to compensate Ukraine for the damages done. I am sure that would facititate lifting those sanctions in a breeze. I know, wishful thinking, but that surely would work.

• Like 5

This is proof that to land an Ambassadors job with the Thai foreign service, you need just a well connected family and a pile of bhat, as it's clearly not awarded based on your IQ.

Waffling on about marketing cheap Thai food to value add. That's your priority right now is it?

4 minutes ago, longwood50 said:

You are correct but the problem is now thrust on the door step of Thailand.  If these people are here, can not get lodging, or food what do you do?   You can either arrange transport back to their home countries assuming that is possible or let them starve in the streets.  I suggest the latter would be particularly detrimental to future Russian tourisms if and when that ever happens. 

Surely the Russian embassy must ensure that their kinsmen don't suffer. So either provide them with cash to finance their stay in Thailand or organize for transport to fly them back to Russia. This is not a problem where Thailand bears any responsibility; the Russians need to fix themselves what they broke. Inflicting wars does have consequences after all.

• Like 6

Totally tone deaf to what is happening in Ukraine .. " proposals " like what he is churning out may have a counter productive effect on Thailand as Russia is seen and is becoming such a toxic pariah that anyone affording or continuing to do business with them will not be viewed positively as Coke , McDonald's , Starbucks , etc have found out the last 24 hrs .. 

• Like 4

Amazing Thailand Government doesn’t help Thai Citizens suffering from economic, housing issues from years of lockdown and restrictions from Covid.  Hypocritical to help Russian Tourist but not Thai Citizens. Help in Thailand first. Russian Embassy can get their tourist back home. Don’t waste Thai resources on tourist,  Help Thais first!!!

• Like 3

Question:

Is it too late?

The horse has bolted!

No more Aeroflot planes to Thailand!

They may be seized by Leasing companies?

Putin has stopped the planes?

Seems the Sanctions are working by NATO!!!

TAT cannot win?

But now they should target the tourists that have always made Thailand great.

Everyday Joe blows from all walks of life!!👍

Get back to the grass roots and cut restrictions on Visas and paperwork!

It is desperate times and they are still being picky on what tourists they want to visit?

We just don’t understand their logic?

And they still want to charge an extra 300Baht Tax ?

They should be paying people to come!!!

1 hour ago, Fundok said:

Surely the Russian embassy must ensure that their kinsmen don't suffer. So either provide them with cash to finance their stay in Thailand or organize for transport to fly them back to Russia. This is not a problem where Thailand bears any responsibility; the Russians need to fix themselves what they broke. Inflicting wars does have consequences after all

That is fine to say, however let me ask you.  If the Russian Embassy and government chooses to do nothing, what are you going to do with these people.  You may say it is the Russian's responsibility but it is Thailand who is stuck with the problem.  

That is like saying your neighbors tree has fallen on your home and it is the neighbors repsonsibilty to pay for the damage and fix your home and they do nothing.  Do you just wait with the hole in your roof? 

1 hour ago, longwood50 said:

Always easy to pronounce what "others should do"  You have restaurants already struggling asked to make a further sacrifice. 

Don't get me wrong, I emphatise with the plight of the Russian and Ukranian people who are here.  If they did not plan with any hard currency such as Euro, Sterling, or USD I don't know how they can get lodging or food since their currency is all but worthless and few are exchanging it for baht. 

If anything the government should provide modest housing, food, and medical care for those who are the equivalent of war refugees. 

Unfortunately you would be offering tourists a higher standard of living than millions of Thais. No. The only answer is repatriation flights by the Russian government to get its people home. In addition, I’d remind people that Thailand is not a signatory to the 1951 UN Refugee Convention. Another shameful piece of policy making by the Thais. Hence they have no framework or legal requirements to supply any support to these War (their country started) refugees ! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, palooka said:

They should get the Chinese (Pnuts mates) to allow transit in China (who are still flying to Moscow) and send the lot home before it becomes a bigger problem.  Some may still have the means to pay their way.

Putin definitely isn't going to help them, mind, some might be wanting to stay if they are conscription age or there abouts. 

China has strict entry requirements in respect to Covid screening and testing. Unlike Thailand which has the issue with infected Russians arriving, China keeps them out.

1 hour ago, Artemis080 said:

This is proof that to land an Ambassadors job with the Thai foreign service, you need just a well connected family and a pile of bhat, as it's clearly not awarded based on your IQ.

Waffling on about marketing cheap Thai food to value add. That's your priority right now is it?

Ahh, so it's the same prestige level and family connection type requirement as a Thai Airways flight attendant  job.  😛

I expect that there will be a few 20+ year olds floating about who are are stranded and I don't wish them any ill will. However, for the organized crime thugs of Rawai/Pattaya and military /government types who vacation in Hua Hin , I have no sympathy.  I doubt the Russians are going to get support from anyone in Thailand.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Transam said:

It's Russia's problem, they can load a plane with foreign cash, fly it over and sort it. Russia should have thought of all the hassle they might incur...

But, there will be Russians trapped all over the world, and I don't think there are many places jumping with joy to help them out..

Again, is it Russia's responsibity yes.  But if they do nothing what is your solution? 
Perhaps Thailand can provide assistance and bill Russia but if the Russian government chooses to do nothing, it is still Thailand who is stuck with the problem. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Soidog said:

The only answer is repatriation flights by the Russian government to get its people home.

Ok and if the Russian government does not reply or agree to repatriation flights, what then?  I don't disagree that it should be requested but I also know that if I have a fire in my house from my neighbors burning trash, I have to address the problem now and take the issue up with my neighbor later since I am the one suffering the consequences of their action. 

1 minute ago, longwood50 said:

That is fine to say, however let me ask you.  If the Russian Embassy and government chooses to do nothing, what are you going to do with these people.  You may say it is the Russian's responsibility but it is Thailand who is stuck with the problem.  

That is like saying your neighbors tree has fallen on your home and it is the neighbors repsonsibilty to pay for the damage and fix your home and they do nothing.  Do you just wait with the hole in your roof? 

Well if they choose to do nothing then that should be enough for the Thais to get the fence post out of their ass and side with the majority of other nation in condemning the Russian government actions. In the worse case scenario let the Thais pay the costs and repatriate the people themselves. You can’t start housing and feeding these people while your own citizens are suffering. 

• Like 2

Just now, Soidog said:

Well if they choose to do nothing then that should be enough for the Thais to get the fence post out of their ass and side with the majority of other nation in condemning the Russian government actions. In the worse case scenario let the Thais pay the costs and repatriate the people themselves. You can’t start housing and feeding these people while your own citizens are suffering. 

Ok I agree the Thai's shoud first look to the Russian government to take care of its own citizens.  However if they refuse, it is still Thailand that is "stuck" with the problem.  If Thailand pays the cost to fly these people home, there is first the issue of is that possible.  If it is, then you can ask the Russians to compensate Thailand for its expense. If they refuse, then Thailand has a decision to make.  Do they wish to potentially alienate Thailand with Russia and lose future Russian tourists, or do they wish to just suck it up and pay to get rid of the problem.