News Forum - Health officials say PCR testing no longer required after positive ATK result

Thaiger

Patients who test positive for Covid-19 after using an antigen test kit no longer need to take a PCR test to confirm the result. Suphakit Sirilak from the Department of Medical Sciences says the requirement for a follow-up PCR test is expensive and time-consuming. In addition, the generally mild nature of the Omicron variant has removed the need for people who receive a positive ATK result to take a PCR test. The exception is people in high-risk groups who should still seek a PCR test and hospital treatment. According to a Nation Thailand report, Suphakit says proper samples should be […]

The story Health officials say PCR testing no longer required after positive ATK result as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Patients who test positive for Covid-19 after using an antigen test kit no longer need to take a PCR test to confirm the result

So they found the way, to get the statics even more down.

Since I do not believe, they change it the other way round and ad the "only with  ATK tested positives" to the daily infected numbers.

• Thanks 1

Take out the old and bring in the new ,testing!

Since the crisis started in 2020 each new event or decision  created by this govt whether it be from manipulating the AZ doses, internet portal insecurity, the Songkran mass exodus debacle,  to covid revenue schemes. It all comes down to “ trust” , say what !

• Like 2

Once again, I’m struggling to follow the logic. I get the idea that having to follow up a positive ATK with a PCR is no longer required. Though to be honest, I would want to confirm I had Covid rather than take the less accurate ATK as definitive. What I don’t understand is why they then go on to say the vulnerable and elderly should still continue with a PCR. Why? Surely it’s the extent of symptoms you develop which should determine if you need to be hospitalised. I just see no logic to this statement. As usual !!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Once again, I’m struggling to follow the logic. I get the idea that having to follow up a positive ATK with a PCR is no longer required. Though to be honest, I would want to confirm I had Covid rather than take the less accurate ATK as definitive. What I don’t understand is why they then go on to say the vulnerable and elderly should still continue with a PCR. Why? Surely it’s the extent of symptoms you develop which should determine if you need to be hospitalised. I just see no logic to this statement. As usual !!

My wife’s cousin was the first in the family to test positive a couple of days ago.

According to her ,she went to a wedding with a large group of friends . One of them tested positive after which the group all took atk’s and the cousin tested positive(many in the  group too) . She repeated the test at the hospital   and it came up positive they gave her meds and a letter excusing her from work at the job.

She has no symptoms from what I’m told ! She’s self quarantining and working  at home.

So I guess this is the procedure now, no pcr’s

I have no issues with her decision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, riclag said:

My wife’s cousin was the first in the family to test positive a couple of days ago.

According to her ,she went to a wedding with a large group of friends . One of them tested positive after which the group all took atk’s and the cousin tested positive(many in the  group too) . She repeated the test at the hospital   and it came up positive they gave her meds and a letter excusing her from work at the job.

She has no symptoms from what I’m told ! She’s self quarantining and working  at home.

So I guess this is the procedure now, no pcr’s

I have no issues with her decision.

Absolutely it’s the right thing to do. No need for a PCR and just self isolate. So why are they suggesting elderly and vulnerable groups should continue to verify their positive ATK with a PCR? What for? Will the PCR test protect them somehow?  Idiotic to tell people to take a PCR if the ATK is positive. If you want one because you have doubts over the accuracy of the ATK then fine. 

• Like 1

Just now, Soidog said:

Absolutely it’s the right thing to do. No need for a PCR and just self isolate. So why are they suggesting elderly and vulnerable groups should continue to verify their positive ATK with a PCR? What for? Will the PCR test protect them somehow?  Idiotic to tell people to take a PCR if the ATK is positive. If you want one because you have doubts over the accuracy of the ATK then fine. 

You would just love to sit down with these buffoons and have them try and walk you through their thought process. You’d get two question in to the conversation and they would be “umm, umm, well, er, umm. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Soidog said:

You would just love to sit down with these buffoons and have them try and walk you through their thought process. You’d get two question in to the conversation and they would be “umm, umm, well, er, umm. 

The problem is your not a medical professional so you aren't necessarily qualified. Rapid tests are developed specifically to be fast screening of the population. False positive are favored over false negatives. Usually test screening tests are confirmed if necessary with more specific tests (PCR-test). Since older populations are are greater risk a more specific test seems to be in order. There are many variables in testing along with patient symptoms, that you couldn't understand. I think we need to let the professionals do their job. The only buffoons are the unqualified ones trying to practice medicine. I don't think negativity is appropriate.

2 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

The problem is your not a medical professional so you aren't necessarily qualified. Rapid tests are developed specifically to be fast screening of the population. False positive are favored over false negatives. Usually test screening tests are confirmed if necessary with more specific tests (PCR-test). Since older populations are are greater risk a more specific test seems to be in order. There are many variables in testing along with patient symptoms, that you couldn't understand. I think we need to let the professionals do their job. The only buffoons are the unqualified ones trying to practice medicine. I don't think negativity is appropriate.

Well first of all Fred, you don’t know what my career is. Secondly, nothing you have written explains why elderly people are advised to get confirmation of the positive ATK. 

You are just picking up anything I post, spinning it. Deliberately ignoring what I say and looking for an argument. Please. Grow up

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

It's a great way to bring the official figures down again, then change it to endemic .. you just have to look at he news on the covid help lines not being able to cope with over 70k calls a day.. that's also without the norm now of self testing and just staying home for 10 days without in forming any government officials about it . I understand that Omicron is not effecting people as badly but there are still the death statistics that follow hi infection rates

• Like 2

2 hours ago, riclag said:

She repeated the test at the hospital   and it came up positive they gave her meds

This "meds", are that the 9 pills a day for 7 days? Which one  Public Health Ministry Secretary said, they are no snack?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

It's a great way to bring the official figures down again, then change it to endemic .. you just have to look at he news on the covid help lines not being able to cope with over 70k calls a day.. that's also without the norm now of self testing and just staying home for 10 days without in forming any government officials about it . I understand that Omicron is not effecting people as badly but there are still the death statistics that follow hi infection rates

Agreed. Whenever you want to find the reason for Thai logic, look at two options:

1) Will this decision make me money?

2) Will this decision makes me look better in the eyes of other Thais.

The educated countries outside of Thailand see right through it. It’s utterly embarrassing. While they may not loose face in the eyes of the local population (insufficently educated or understand how to apply critical thinking), they loose face with everyone else and embarrass themselves and the whole country. But they don’t care. The Thai PM just reads Thai newspapers and watches Thai news (can’t speak English). You have to feel sorry for the normal Thai having to put up with these Nut-jobs at the wheel 

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

51 minutes ago, Soidog said:

So why are they suggesting elderly and vulnerable groups should continue to verify their positive ATK with a PCR? What for? Will the PCR test protect them somehow?

I can only think on one reason:

They seem to give out covid meds to all and every ATK positive person, these days.

The side effects of them may be harder to  cope with for elder and vulnerable groups?

So better check if they are really needed, instead of just giving 'em as precaution.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Agreed. Whenever you want to find the reason for Thai logic, look at two options:

1) Will this decision make me money?

2) Will this decision makes me look better in the eyes of other Thais.

The educated countries outside of Thailand see right through it. It’s utterly embarrassing. While they may not loose face in the eyes of the local population (insufficently educated or understand how to apply critical thinking), they loose face with everyone else and embarrass themselves and the whole country. But they don’t care. The Thai PM just reads Thai newspapers and watches Thai news (can’t speak English). You have to feel sorry for the normal Thai having to put up with these Nut-jobs at the wheel 

That's a lot to say for a part time visitor. Where do you get your information? Do you read the Thai newspapers or only what is published in English. 

4 hours ago, Soidog said:

Tests are evaluated based on their sensitivity (how trustworthy a negative result is) and their specificity (how trustworthy a positive result is). ATK's are way less sensitive than PCR's, but both ATK's (including the ones we have here) and PCR's do extremely well (99%+) when it comes to specificity.

So instead of struggling to understand the logic, I'm openly questioning (and very nearly rejecting) the validity of the purported logic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

That's a lot to say for a part time visitor. Where do you get your information? Do you read the Thai newspapers or only what is published in English. 

I’ve probably spent more time in Thailand than you Fred. Again you know nothing about me, or anything else for that matter. I do read Thai newspapers and watch Thai news on Tv. It’s a total joke. Always good for a laugh. Just regurgitate whatever the government tell them. No investigative element. You aren’t allowed you see Fred. This country you keep trying to protect won’t allow it. The defamation laws and other draconian laws simply make it impossible. 

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Patients who test positive for Covid-19 after using an antigen test kit no longer need to take a PCR test to confirm the result

So in that case, why not just an ATK to enter Thailand under Test and Go? Quick 15 minute test and no special 1 night stay in a Sha+ hotel. No need to keep Covid out as more Thais have it on a daily basis than the arriving Tourists. And Tourists are more likely to get it here than bring it in, as few test positive on arrival.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Chatogaster said:

Tests are evaluated based on their sensitivity (how trustworthy a negative result is) and their specificity (how trustworthy a positive result is). ATK's are way less sensitive than PCR's, but both ATK's (including the ones we have here) and PCR's do extremely well (99%+) when it comes to specificity.

So instead of struggling to understand the logic, I'm openly questioning (and very nearly rejecting) the validity of the purported logic.

Well that’s the conclusion I came to. There is no logic to the guidance. 

17 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

I can only think on one reason:

They seem to give out covid meds to all and every ATK positive person, these days.

The side effects of them may be harder to  cope with for elder and vulnerable groups?

So better check if they are really needed, instead of just giving 'em as precaution.

Fair point. Or stop wasting them on people who don’t need them. No matter what the age

12 minutes ago, Soidog said:

watch Thai news on Tv

Strong intestinal fortitude then.  The liking for showing the gory details is a bit beyond me at breakfast.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Fair point. Or stop wasting them on people who don’t need them. No matter what the age

That would, perhaps, need PCR testing? 🙊

You should take them as soon as possible, even before knowing if getting sick or not. Convenient for big pharma, isn't it?

• Cool 1

4 minutes ago, palooka said:

Strong intestinal fortitude then.  The liking for showing the gory details is a bit beyond me at breakfast.

Thai news obviously took the saying. ……. “If it bleeds, it leads” …… to heart!😉

• Cool 1

22 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

So in that case, why not just an ATK to enter Thailand under Test and Go? Quick 15 minute test and no special 1 night stay in a Sha+ hotel. No need to keep Covid out as more Thais have it on a daily basis than the arriving Tourists. And Tourists are more likely to get it here than bring it in, as few test positive on arrival.

There’s money 💰 involved for some chosen institutions and higher ups!

Their gonna bleed  the Covid  revenue schemes till the wuaa’s come home me thinks.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

Just now, riclag said:

There’s money 💰 involved for some chosen institutions and higher ups!

But they now have to spend that profit on the Russians, so PCR testing will have to last longer.

• Cool 1