Thai Fresh Fruit.

Thaidup

Being an Australian, I grew up with Golden Circle pineapple in a can, even went to "The Big Pineapple" in Gympie Queensland as a kid (from memory) The  fresh pineapple juice was junky, I didn't like it because the canned juice i was used to was just liquid.

Then I came to Thailand in 2002, My girlfriend at the time bought me this plastic bag with slices of pineapple and a bamboo stick in it. I looked at it and said no thanks, because I was used to the bitter taste of Aussie pineapples, She said, "Eat it,It's good for your body" So I did.

Wholly cow, the pineapple in Thailand is the most juicy and sweet pineapple I have ever tasted, the plastic bag it was in had a couple of mouthfulls of juice to wash it down too.

The Thai sweet pineapple that we can buy for 10-20 baht each, on the side of the road. sliced up for you on the spot, is worth a trip alone.

In the US, most of the pineapples come from Hawaii, which I always thought to be pretty darn good. But I agree that hands down Thailand has them beat...

Best (IMO) are grown in Prachuap Khiri Khan province; like eating candy. Lots of road side stands along the Hua Hin bypass; 4 or 5 for 100THB.

There are a few fields around the neighborhood where I live, but at that price I don't need to go sneak in at night to grab some 🤑

Yellow Gold.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thaidup said:

She said, "Eat it,It's good for your body"

The cleansing effect (for me)of eating a bag of these pineapples is remarkable, Being a beef eater before I came to Thailand, (for me) it seemed to flush out my bowels in a cleansing way,if you know what I mean. 🙂

Here is a pic of a flower of a fruit that has great taste and all of these nutrients.

Here are the nutrition facts for a serving of 3.5 ounces, or 100 grams (1Trusted Source):

• Calories: 60
  • Protein: 1.2 grams
  • Fat: 0 grams
  • Carbs: 13 grams
  • Fiber: 3 grams
  • Vitamin C: 3% of the RDI
  • Iron: 4% of the RDI
  • Magnesium: 10% of the RDI

2015-08-23 18.21.41.jpg

• Like 1

Can't say it tastes any different than the pineapple in Canada, their mangos taste different though

Edited by dj230
  • Like 1

Since the topic title doesn't specify what fresh fruit, I'll add that bananas in Thailand are also tastier than any I've had around the world. It has to be the soil, no?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thaidup said:

Then I came to Thailand in 2002, My girlfriend at the time bought me this plastic bag with slices of pineapple and a bamboo stick in it. I looked at it and said no thanks, because I was used to the bitter taste of Aussie pineapples, She said, "Eat it,It's good for your body" So I did.

My wife likes to chop up fresh pineapple and sprinkle salt on it. Really brings out the flavor. When it’s in season, we eat it every day.

• Like 1

Speaking of pineapple, The Thai beef from the local market here must be the toughest beef I have ever eaten, even when cut into half inch cubes and chewed on for ever it still is swallowed as a half inch cube, But----- mixed with pineapple, left to marinade for an hour or so, you can cut through it with your teeth, doesn't taste any better and becomes unpalatable but is easier on the old choppers.

• Like 1