News Forum - Taxi drivers fight over passenger saying Bangkok taxi shouldn’t service in Pattaya 

Thaiger

Speaking personally I've been ripped off by a taxi in pattaya, I even told him not to come, but he turned up anyway and I ended up paying his crazy rate to get to the bus station. That's what apps are for, this is consumers choice and the taxi drivers should just go with grab themselves or a company if they are concerned. Thousands of people do.

All this will do will encourage even more people to not use taxis in the future

41 minutes ago, alex12345 said:

the taxi drivers should just go with grab themselves

But don't they pay a lot to get the taxi plate, and the car painted? This is the issue in places like Australia the Taxi number plates are put up to auction every year(They were when I was there last) So people bid against taxi companies to get a private business, Last i heard was $200,000.

I can only surmise that its similar in Thailand. and they have to cover costs. and now that oil is going up, I can feel pitty for them and understand why some can get cranky.

So the Pattaya taxi mafia want to keep their monopoly? Ha! When has a capitalist monopoly ever been good for the consumer. That said, it is Thailand and overcharging tourists is government approved. Thai luk Thai! 

9 hours ago, Marc26 said:

There are regulations in every major city in North American that don't allow taxis to pick up in different jurisdictions and I'd imagine it is the same most major cities in the world

If you are an airport or suburban taxi, you can't pick up a fare in downtown Vancouver

It is pretty standard regulation.....

Of course, but this case, a Bangkok taxi booked by an app and picking up in Pattaya (if that was the case, not a Bkk taxi trying to get a back fare) is just an extreme example.

The "jurisdiction" in Thailand, where taxis can pick up, ends, if you ask at the next taxi stand, at the next taxi stand. Or in sight of it, that is teritorry.

Just in times of uber, grab, ...., how can it be a problem at all, that the computer is giving an pick up order to the nearest vehicle?

This Paytaya beef is just about "that was our money", clear hint with "everyone should adopt to our prices", imho

7 hours ago, Thaidup said:

I would guess that it is because they have higher fuel,registration,licensing costs. though I have never been there. Just a guess.🙂

Phuket has very few meters, but lots of so called "limousine" services, big green plates. Plus an overload of "TukTuks, where minimum half of it is usually registered as baht busses (back entrance, BIG yellow plate), to get licensed, but also driving at "Tuktuks" (side entrance, small yellow plates), chartred price.

There is simply an vehicle overload, plus the TukTuk and "Limo" associations have there heads in local politics, majors of the villages/towns often.

Best example are the red tuktuks with yellow roof  some years ago, a new group  got the vehicles in Phuket town without approval. (Thaiger covered that story, methinks). The city had to register them, cause they played the "but we have the vehicles already", but made them paint the roofs yellow and assigned them to hopp on hopp of Baht bus routes around Phuket town only.

Never one of 'em offered that service, they just switched to "200 baht". And after some weeks, the vehicles found there way to the west coast.

Not really clear is to me, if they just rented them out (which I think, to local drivers without a own vehicle) or became part (for a fee, of course) of the TukTuk ranks over there. 

Phuket is really the worst, imho.

• Like 1

POOR GERMAN KIDDIES IN THE BACK HAVE TO LISTEN TO THIS QUAKING RUBBISH -

AT LEAST NOW THEY KNOW WHAT THIS WORLD IS ABOUT ( : -

THE SMALL MANS REVENGE COMES OUT WHEN THERES NOBODY ELSE HELPING - IF IT WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN THE BANGKOK DRIVER IT WOULD HAVE BEEN SOME OTHER EASY VICTIM

On 3/8/2022 at 6:28 PM, Cathat said:

Things must be pretty bad when taxi driver's are watching each other like hawks and fighting amoungst themselves.

Like hyenas fight over carcass

• Haha 2

Well I don't know the laws in Thailand but as an ex Taxi driver I know that in most countries the licence is issued for an area of operation. This means that legally a Bangkok driver is legally allowed to pick up in Bangkok and drop off anywhere in the country but he is not then legally allowed to pick up a return customer until he returns to his licensed zone (Bangkok) however he could in theory "negotiate" to drive somebody back to Bangkok as a private citizen in exchange for a "gift". Of course when I was driving professionally I never participated in such behaviour 🤣🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim_Melb said:

Well I don't know the laws in Thailand but as an ex Taxi driver I know that in most countries the licence is issued for an area of operation. This means that legally a Bangkok driver is legally allowed to pick up in Bangkok and drop off anywhere in the country but he is not then legally allowed to pick up a return customer until he returns to his licensed zone (Bangkok) however he could in theory "negotiate" to drive somebody back to Bangkok as a private citizen in exchange for a "gift". Of course when I was driving professionally I never participated in such behaviour 🤣🤣

I've already pointed that out above

But these guys don't care about facts

They just want to bash Thailand as backwards when they dont have a clue about the same regulation in their own countries 

Most guys on here are obsessed with Thailand yet hate the place at the same time

Weird people

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 7:11 AM, Marc26 said:

Most guys on here are obsessed with Thailand yet hate the place at the same time

I would like to hazard a guess that those whom you refer to don't even live here anymore,or have other underlying undisclosed issues.

A few of the old sayings that still ring true today. 1 When in Rome. 2 Jealousy is a curse. 3 People in glass houses.