PM Prayut announces Thailand will fully reopen within 120 days

Thaiger

In a speech this evening, PM Prayut Chan-o-cha announced that Thailand must reopen in 120 days, which would be October 14, despite slow vaccine rollout and risk of increased Covid-19 outbreaks. The speech seemed to mark a shift from trying to eradicated Covid-19 in Thailand through controlling the spread and vaccinating the population to an acceptance of the virus’s long-term presence and balancing the risks with the need to move forward. “We have to come to terms that it [Covid-19] will continue to be around in the world and in Thailand for some time. We cannot wait for a time […]

The post PM Prayut announces Thailand will fully reopen within 120 days appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

That was heck of a good news. But the question is, what about the requirements???? Do we have to do a negative COVID-19 test within 3 days of departure, Fit to fly, another negative COVID-19 test upon arrival, apply for COE at the nearest Thai consulate even if less than 30 days, have COVID-19 insurance, Thai apps through your cp for contact tracing & finally another negative COVID-19 test within 3 days before going back to you country. Things will get changed again on a daily basis because its Thailand.

• Like 2

My buttocks are clenching in excitement and anticipation, however I doubt they will remain in this state for 120 days!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, MikeW said:

How long before the bars and clubs open up and domestic travel allowed 

Don't clench you buttocks in anticipation Mick. The prolonged pain will be unbearable.

I gave up after three hours.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

“inconvenient restrictions” the ending of them would make all the difference in the world. I’m already looking forward to returning. 

• Cool 1

4 hours ago, MikeW said:

How long before the bars and clubs open up and domestic travel allowed 

Possibility the end of lockdown/state emergency which is July 31st. But, you should be aware that will get extended again for the 13th time.

• Haha 2

It is nice to see goal, however failing to plan (providing any metrics) is planing to fail. I would love to come back sooner rather than later, but with 10% breakthrough of delta variant, with the mRna vaccine I will likely wait a while. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

This is what most travelers wanted and you have to live with the virus, Which is the point of the vaccine as you have better protection and as Governments have pushed for travel including the vaccine passport.

And which country can afford to keep using lockdowns and  quarantine or wait for a vaccine that is 100% effective which may never come without either sending the country broke using stimulus every year.

• Like 1

well this could be assuming the spread is under control, are we still at 2 to 3000 case a day? i m still wondering is this figure is correct in a city as bkk or this means thai peoples are really disciplined. are they?

• Cool 1

14 hours ago, Tjampman said:

Let's see if we can make good on the partial opening before we start making bigger promises...

It seems odd that even before 'Operation Sandbox' is underway, the PM has gone from one extreme to the other. Baby steps first before opening the flood gates.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LoveChef said:

It is nice to see goal, however failing to plan (providing any metrics) is planing to fail. I would love to come back sooner rather than later, but with 10% breakthrough of delta variant, with the mRna vaccine I will likely wait a while. 

I couldn't agree more. Whilst it could be a success, I have considerable reservations.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tjampman said:

Despite all the restrictions the case rate is not going down, so to say it is under control is a bit of stretch.

I would describe it as steady.

If the Delta variant gets a stranglehold, it could well be very unsteady. This variant is much more virulent, aggressive and more easily transmissible than any other variant.

• Like 2

WELL!!   p.m. of thailand needs to resign as he has lost the plot.

what a complete load of crap,no tourist will go there now with this rubbish

and what about the 100 u,s, travel ins...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tjampman said:

Let's see if we can make good on the partial opening before we start making bigger promises...

Does he really have much option? Yes facts on the ground might force a delay, but the economy is driving this issue now. The government is spending money like a bar girl, and has run out of borrowing capacity. With a quarter of the economy off line, and many businesses who won’t survive another lost high season. Thailand is forced to reopen by mid October. They must also promise to do so this far out or tourists will make plans to go somewhere else. It’s clear why the PM is saying what he is and why doing so now. Thailand has hit the wall and can’t play the long game anymore. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...