News Forum - US government tells citizens to avoid travel to Hong Kong, New Zealand – and Thailand

Thaiger

Americans are being told to avoid travel to Thailand, Hong Kong, and New Zealand, due to the rise in Covid-19 infections in each country. According to a Reuters report, the travel advisory was issued by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which has raised its travel alert for Thailand to “Level Four: Very High”. In total, the US is recommending citizens avoid travel to around 135 countries. Another 33 countries are at “Level 3: High”. Meanwhile, Anguilla, Cape Verde, Fiji, Mexico, the Philippines, and the United Arab Emirates have all been lowered to Level 3. Just 29 countries […]

The story US government tells citizens to avoid travel to Hong Kong, New Zealand – and Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Meh I don’t think most Americans who want to travel care what the CDC says. At this point in addition to vaccination so many people already had the chron they just don’t care. 

Given almost all mask mandates and other restrictions have been dropped in the US, there’s many other better reasons NOT to come to Thailand at the moment. Closed nightlife “officially”, outdoor mask mandates, high testing costs, and the chance of a very expensive 10 day stay in a very crappy room with a false positive.  

Go to Mexico, or the Caribbean, or Europe until Thailand regains it’s wits. 

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, JJJ said:

Meh I don’t think most Americans who want to travel care what the CDC says. At this point in addition to vaccination so many people already had the chron they just don’t care. 

Given almost all mask mandates and other restrictions have been dropped in the US, there’s many other better reasons NOT to come to Thailand at the moment. Closed nightlife “officially”, outdoor mask mandates, high testing costs, and the chance of a very expensive 10 day stay in a very crappy room with a false positive.  

Just go to Mexico, or the Caribbean or Europe. That'll do!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Americans are being told to avoid travel to Thailand, Hong Kong, and New Zealand, due to the rise in Covid-19 infections in each country. According to a Reuters report, the travel advisory was issued by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which has raised its travel alert for Thailand to “Level Four: Very High”. In total, the US is recommending citizens avoid travel to around 135 countries. Another 33 countries are at “Level 3: High”. Meanwhile, Anguilla, Cape Verde, Fiji, Mexico, the Philippines, and the United Arab Emirates have all been lowered to Level 3. Just 29 countries […]

The story US government tells citizens to avoid travel to Hong Kong, New Zealand – and Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

There are essentially zero restrictions in the United States now and we are coming up on Spring and Summer months. Why would I spend my usual $5k for a month in Thailand right now? 

After all this time, I will continue to just wait until there is no PCR test prior to, at arrival, and prior to return.

• Like 10

What this story doesn't say and what this really means. If you are American and are planning on travelling to Thailand your travel insurance just became invalid. This is because your insurance company has a clause in your policy that says that it is not valid for travel to a country where the Department of State has issued a Level 4 or higher warning for travel to that country. This is the case for 99% of all travel insurance policies. If you are currently in Thailand your travel insurance may now be invalid also (check with your insurer). If you are residing in Thailand and have a health insurance policy from the US that covers your medical expenses while residing overseas you also may not be covered in these circumstances so check with your health insurer. This is another reason why the Thai government requires the Thai Covid insurance policy for the duration of your stay as part of your travel arrangements. 

I'm sure that some will say I am wrong on this but I assure you that these are the facts. Before you tell yourself that you will be ok think about insurance companies and how much they try to avoid paying out, and then read the fine print on your policy. 

• Like 8

11 hours ago, JJJ said:

I'm American and this is what I've been doing, simply going to Mexico which has had no restrictions since this mess started two years ago.  Will wait for Thailand and SEA to drop all requirements before I go there, if that means I'm waiting another year plus, so be it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Saunk said:

I'm American and this is what I've been doing, simply going to Mexico which has had no restrictions since this mess started two years ago.  Will wait for Thailand and SEA to drop all requirements before I go there, if that means I'm waiting another year plus, so be it.

Oh I reckon it'll be well more than two years mate. 😀

21 hours ago, Poolie said:

Just go to Mexico, or the Caribbean or Europe. That'll do!!

Most will be wary of travelling to Europe now due to war. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I won't consider travelling OUT of Thailand until the country pairs are both no PCR and no quarantine risk involved.

It's the inevitable end game for everywhere that's already happening. Anything else is just pointless noise, and nobody should bother entertaining the Thai government anymore with their hoops.

Of course, things across the world are getting worse daily, so travelling long haul for leisure is increasingly looking less smart, period.

Edited by Artemis080
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HiuMak said:

Most will be wary of travelling to Europe now due to war. 

Really? The Balkans were at war for a decade. I don’t think many people thought twice about going to Europe.

The US led elite media made so much money on Trump, and Covid, and the election. Nothing better than propping up a skirmish to World War III to drive ratings. It’s seriously sick how many of these “progressives” are the ones promoting war.

By the time summer comes, I don’t think anyone will hesitate to go to Greece, Italy, Spain etc.  

• Like 2

On 3/8/2022 at 4:11 AM, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

There are essentially zero restrictions in the United States now and we are coming up on Spring and Summer months. Why would I spend my usual $5k for a month in Thailand right now? 

Because not too many 20 year old americans will sleep with you ? 😉

• Haha 2

I am an American, and challenge the US on their decision and change the wording.  They should tell Americans not to travel to those Democrat $hit hole cities, where people are getting raped, murdered, assaulted, etc.  I feel more safe in Thailand than in America at this time.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 8:11 PM, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

After all this time, I will continue to just wait until there is no PCR test prior to, at arrival, and prior to return.

Is that a trick question?  The answer is because it's Thailand and not the US.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, JJJ said:

Really? The Balkans were at war for a decade. I don’t think many people thought twice about going to Europe. 

I would not travel to Europe for a vacation at this time.

On 3/8/2022 at 6:47 AM, Poolie said:

I reckon this fall, by October at the latest. 

I wanted to visit this April, but as long as there is testing it's just too easy to go somewhere else. Why risk a forced quarantine wrecking your vacation. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EdwardV said:

I reckon this fall, by October at the latest. 

I wanted to visit this April, but as long as there is testing it's just too easy to go somewhere else. Why risk a forced quarantine wrecking your vacation. 

You're American too?

On 3/8/2022 at 9:47 PM, Poolie said:

Another futile and needless comment @Poolie  I think Thaiger should open a kiddies corner and transfer your account there. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Charlie said:

I am an American, and challenge the US on their decision and change the wording.  They should tell Americans not to travel to those Democrat $hit hole cities, where people are getting raped, murdered, assaulted, etc.  I feel more safe in Thailand than in America at this time.

Yep - it is safer to walk in any Bangkok slum with millions of baht dripping from your pockets weighed down by 25lb of on display gold chains than it would be popping out to get a newspaper after dark in North London !!

Walking through any american mall I would assume I'm going to get shot anyway !

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Yep - it is safer to walk in any Bangkok slum with millions of baht dripping from your pockets weighed down by 25lb of on display gold chains than it would be popping out to get a newspaper after dark in North London !!

Walking through any american mall I would assume I'm going to get shot anyway !

I’d urge you to reassess your decision making skills if you really believe that. 

8 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I’d urge you to reassess your decision making skills if you really believe that. 

Lived in both areas, I know exactly what I'm talking about (which doesn't happen often). In Bangkok you might get robbed, in North London a stabbing is a nailed on certainty!

3 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Lived in both areas, I know exactly what I'm talking about (which doesn't happen often). In Bangkok you might get robbed, in North London a stabbing is a nailed on certainty!

Sorry mate but I have family who have lived in North London (Archway area) for the past 30 years. I’ve been there many many times, especially over the last two years and been out late at night on many occasions. Never had a single problem. The headlines are always about knife crime; and it’s certainly far too high. But to suggest it’s safer in Bangkok as you describe is taking it a little too far. Most of the knife crime is gang and drug related as it is in most major cities

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Sorry mate but I have family who have lived in North London (Archway area) for the past 30 years. I’ve been there many many times, especially over the last two years and been out late at night on many occasions. Never had a single problem. The headlines are always about knife crime; and it’s certainly far too high. But to suggest it’s safer in Bangkok as you describe is taking it a little too far. Most of the knife crime is gang and drug related as it is in most major cities

Archway is posh, your family have clearly done well for themselves - I worked near there for years too and spent a lot of time in Highgate pubs for my sins. Next time you're over there go for a few nightly walks in Homerton (more east), well one at least, or if you really fancy ending it all, a leisurely stroll through Newham. I would say report back, but that's unlikely to happen 😉

It's a personal thing I guess, give me Bkk over London after dark any day of the week.

15 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Archway is posh, your family have clearly done well for themselves - I worked near there for years too and spent a lot of time in Highgate pubs for my sins. Next time you're over there go for a few nightly walks in Homerton (more east), well one at least, or if you really fancy ending it all, a leisurely stroll through Newham. I would say report back, but that's unlikely to happen 😉

It's a personal thing I guess, give me Bkk over London after dark any day of the week.

Don’t get me wrong mate. There are parts of sleepy Devon I wouldn’t want to walk in late at night, never mind parts of London 😂😂.

I do think it helps when you are out of your own environment not to spot or even sense the dangers so much. You don’t hear or understand the rude or threatening comment as you walk past a bunch of youths. I remember one night being in Kowloon and getting a little lost down the back ally’s. Some of the places I walked I wouldn’t dare have gone down in London. Stay safe, wherever you are. Especially if you go to Koh Tao 😉

On 3/8/2022 at 9:41 PM, Saunk said:

When  covid goes so will the restrictions. Maybe insurance for tourists and entrance fee will stay though. Pattaya won't ever be the same.