News Forum - Philippines to raise the minimum age of sexual consent from 12 to 16

Thaiger

The age of sexual consent in the Philippines is being raised from 12 to 16 years old. President Rodrigo Duterte has signed a bill raising the minimum age in an effort to protect adolescents from rape and sexual assault. The bill says statutory rape is when an adult has sexual contact with a person 16 years old or younger, unless the age gap between them is three years or less and the sexual conduct was proved to be consensual. Prior to the bill, the Philippines had one of the lowest ages for sexual consent in the world. Nigeria has the lowest […]

The story Philippines to raise the minimum age of sexual consent from 12 to 16 as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

This is a subject that many Western ex-pats take a big interest in , for some reason, the fact that you could legally have sex with 12 year old's in the Philippines often got bought up in discussion , along with how cheap beer and accommodation was in the Philippines and how to get long tern visas  

• Haha 4

Although there were laws in the Philippines that stated that if you gave the 12 year olds any money  or any other coercion or they were forced into it by their parents , then that comes under the Child prostitution laws and it was a 40 year jail sentence for participating .  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fluke said:

This is a subject that many Western ex-pats take a big interest in , for some reason, the fact that you could legally have sex with 12 year old's in the Philippines often got bought up in discussion , along with how cheap beer and accommodation was in the Philippines and how to get long tern visas  

So  funny !  Chek US State Laws  ! Yall hav a nice day now !

6 minutes ago, Convert54 said:

So  funny !  Chek US State Laws  ! Yall hav a nice day now !

No, I have no interest in USA laws about which is the legal age when people can have sex.

Although its yet another "compared to the USA " comment and I am not sure whether you are being sarcastic or not  

• Like 2

It’s staggering how many countries still have the age of consent at 14, including China. Japan is 13 and Afghanistan has no limit as long as the child is married. You have to shake your head in disbelief. It’s a measure of just how backward the world actually is. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Fluke said:

No, I have no interest in USA laws about which is the legal age when people can have sex.

Although its yet another "compared to the USA " comment and I am not sure whether you are being sarcastic or not  

Yup! Confirmation of the  All A Merican  principle of  It ain't what I do but what I tell yall to do is portant !

9 minutes ago, Soidog said:

It’s staggering how many countries still have the age of consent at 14, including China. Japan is 13 and Afghanistan has no limit as long as the child is married. You have to shake your head in disbelief. It’s a measure of just how backward the world actually is. 

Japan also has Child protection acts , which state that any adult participating in a sex act with an under 18 year person would face criminal charges and the 13 year old age of consent is only for two people of a similar age .

Should two 14 year old Chinese kids be prosecuted if they both willing had a sexual relationship ?

The laws are quite similar the World over , teenagers can naturally have sex with each other , but its forbidden for adults to engage in Child (under 18)  prostitution  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Convert54 said:

Yup! Confirmation of the  All A Merican  principle of  It ain't what I do but what I tell yall to do is portant !

What does the USA have to do with this ?

This story has nothing to do with the USA .

Why is it that quite a few Americans don't seem to be able to discuss anything other than the USA ?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Fluke said:

What does the USA have to do with this ?

This story has nothing to do with the USA .

Why is it that quite a few Americans don't seem to be able to discuss anything other than the USA ?

Epstein maybe would agree wif yah but...........oops!

5 minutes ago, Convert54 said:

Epstein maybe would agree wif yah but...........oops!

That just doesn't make any sense . 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Convert54 said:

😉 Rigghht!

You don't use enough words and I need to try and guess what you mean .

Does you internet service provider charge you according to how many letters you type ?

Like, the more letters you type, the more it costs , as that would explain as to why you write so few words 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Poolie is an American?! Fascinating.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Should two 14 year old Chinese kids be prosecuted if they both willing had a sexual relationship ?

Personally I think it is regrettable that two 14 year olds have a sexual relationship. I think that the state should at least set an example by which it sets a higher age. 

It’s not an easy topic and almost each case is unique. There are many 16 and 17 year olds who are less mature in their awareness than 14 year olds. There have been many cases where the defence of teenagers having consensual sexual relationships has been defended on the basis of Human Rights. I wouldn’t advocate prosecution leading to a criminal record for two 14 year olds, but I do think the teenagers should be given support and further guidance to ensure they are making an informed decision. Other factors such as safe sex are also matters for them to consider. 

Then there are the “grey areas “ of the law. What do yo do if it’s a 15 or 16 year old engaging in consensual sex with a 14 year old. What if the 15 or 16 year old believed the 14 year old to be 15 or 16?  It is a potential legal minefield. However, setting the bar at 17 or 18 at least sets an expectation and perhaps reduces the number of people finding themselves in a sexual relationship at such a young age. 

• Like 1

The reference to the US is as follows.  US Federal laws prohibit any adult US citizen from traveling to another country to engage in sexual activities with a child under the age of 18.  It doesn't matter what the age of consent is in the country one is visiting.  If a US citizen partners-up with someone under 18 overseas, one risks a 10 year to lifetime prison sentence, much depending on the age of victim.  Many other countries have similar laws against traveling pedophiles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Consent across Europe is 15 in many countries. For a reason. If Nature says the female is ready to conceive at 13 then she’s ready for consensual sex I. e Japan, a highly advanced country. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldschooler said:

Consent across Europe is 15 in many countries. For a reason. If Nature says the female is ready to conceive at 13 then she’s ready for consensual sex I. e Japan, a highly advanced country. 

Nature may say that , but the law says otherwise .

Just because a Female reaches puberty , that doesnt mean you can have sex with her . 

As previously stated, Japan has Child protection laws that make it illegal for adults to have sex with under 18's

• Like 1

Even Canada (Ontario) has an age of consent at 16, puberty starts at pre-teen ages, so they're going to want to have sex near those ages, although there should be some law about the ages being similar. 

Edited by dj230

25 minutes ago, Oracle said:

The reference to the US is as follows.  US Federal laws prohibit any adult US citizen from traveling to another country to engage in sexual activities with a child under the age of 18.  It doesn't matter what the age of consent is in the country one is visiting.  If a US citizen partners-up with someone under 18 overseas, one risks a 10 year to lifetime prison sentence, much depending on the age of victim.  Many other countries have similar laws against traveling pedophiles.

US Legal / Tax Jurisdiction for US Citizen = Everywhere.

Most intrusive aggressive hated Federal Govt. ever.

Yet Americans believe that literally all foreigners want to emigrate there  !

Pedophile applies to pre- pubescent sex, before say 13.