News Forum - OPINION – Thai government making it hard to live and work in Thailand

Thaiger

7 hours ago, LoongFred said:

And what is the global ratings of the university you attended and received graduate degrees from. 

Actually Mahidol University is higher rated. But rating are only relative and depend on who's doing the rating

Worlds Best 20 unis are all in US or UK. UK has 110 unis with 5 considered world top 20. No doubt the 25-30 UK unis below those top 5 are highly regarded. The rest probably not…..with most probably well below the top 2 Thai unis…..

1 hour ago, LoongFred said:

Thai universities were originally set up for specic programs not general programs. Mahidol was originally the University of Medical Sciences and had various campuses that specialized in various aspects of medicine. Comparison don't work well,  when comparisons are not on the same planes. Also all comparison seem to vary but higher rating do not assure a better education. 

Bottom line is Thai degrees are not thought of well globally 

That's just a fact

I know 2 Thais here in Vancouver with Thai University degrees that have a job in the major they got their degree in

Every other Thai I know could not get a job here in Canada with their Thai degree

And I am talking quite a bit of people

The 2 Thais that I know with jobs in finance

They come from extremely wealthy families so I am assuming their family connections were more of a factor in getting their jobs than their degrees from Thailand 

13 hours ago, Marc26 said:

That's just a fact

I know 2 Thais here in Vancouver with Thai University degrees that have a job in the major they got their degree in

Every other Thai I know could not get a job here in Canada with their Thai degree

They come from extremely wealthy families so I am assuming their family connections were more of a factor in getting their jobs than their degrees from Thailand 

Indidual experiences are OK but don't take into account the many Thai graduate students ,  professors, and or medical professions who successfully work or practice in the US , Canada or Europe.  

One young girl from our village just passed her PE in Chemical Engineering in California. Many western trained engineers have trouble with this.

25 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Indidual experiences are OK but don't take into account the many Thai graduate students ,  professors, and or medical professions who successfully work or practice in the US , Canada or Europe.  

One young girl from our village just passed her PE in Chemical Engineering in California. Many western trained engineers have trouble with this.

I mean this is my experience over 16 years in the Thai community in Vancouver 

It's a vast # of people with Thai degrees that are basically worthless in Canada, unless they get further education here

Good for the gorl but a PE is pretty standard state licensing exam

I wouldn't say many western trained engineers have trouble with it

It's the same sort of entry certification exam that most industries have, similar to the Bar in Law and Series 7 in Finance 

A hard test, at the time, but pretty basic

Thailand thrive off tourism. 

I agree that Thai people should get jobs first, IF they are suitable for the job. I don't accept foreigners to work in restaurants and bars etc.

But jobs like diving instructors is a very important job to have in a tourism area. Everyone from all over the world come here to dive.

That means you need foreigners who speak different languages. You need to be fluent in English too. Not many Thais can speak french, german, russian, cezch, spanish etc. If you're saying that foreigners have no rights to work in Thailand, that means there will be NO diving centers what so ever and less tourism.

It's not just diving, you are teaching in a class room, teaching really important life and death skills. Having somebodies life in your hands is a very serious job, and if a Thai person who cannot even communicate anything to you, means your doomed from the start. 

If there are no foreigners then you are only catering to the Thais and maybe English tourism. Tourists will go elsewhere.

So please stop hating on foreigners working here, we are actually helping the community by bringing tourists in who want to go diving.

59 minutes ago, Bobohoho said:

Thailand thrive off tourism. 

I agree that Thai people should get jobs first, IF they are suitable for the job. I don't accept foreigners to work in restaurants and bars etc.

But jobs like diving instructors is a very important job to have in a tourism area. Everyone from all over the world come here to dive.

That means you need foreigners who speak different languages. You need to be fluent in English too. Not many Thais can speak french, german, russian, cezch, spanish etc. If you're saying that foreigners have no rights to work in Thailand, that means there will be NO diving centers what so ever and less tourism.

It's not just diving, you are teaching in a class room, teaching really important life and death skills. Having somebodies life in your hands is a very serious job, and if a Thai person who cannot even communicate anything to you, means your doomed from the start. 

If there are no foreigners then you are only catering to the Thais and maybe English tourism. Tourists will go elsewhere.

So please stop hating on foreigners working here, we are actually helping the community by bringing tourists in who want to go diving.

What are the academic requirements for dive instructors? I know there must be some but I though it was mostly experience and learning by doing. If so I can't see why Thais couldn't do this job.

Just now, LoongFred said:

What are the academic requirements for dive instructors? I know there must be some but I though it was mostly experience and learning by doing. If so I can't see why Thais couldn't do this job.

It's like ESL teachers. Many lack university degrees and get temporary licenses. Those with degrees might be in different fields than education. Mostly it's native speakers (not all) who teach by having student repeat. That's OK for beginners I guess, but advanced students want to know why. Teachers who speak Thai do a better job, IMO

9 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

You need to do a lot of expensive training. You cannot teach diving with no qualifications. But your missing the point, Thais can do this job if they can speak multiple languages otherwise they are useless to foreign tourists who can't speak Thai or English.....

1 hour ago, Bobohoho said:

You need to do a lot of expensive training. You cannot teach diving with no qualifications. But your missing the point, Thais can do this job if they can speak multiple languages otherwise they are useless to foreign tourists who can't speak Thai or English.....

Only some of the time. Dont forget you dont speak at all underwater, which is where all the practical training takes place. A lot of the classroom stuff is by rote learning from a book too, at least on PADI where I did my training.

3 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I wouldn't say many western trained engineers have trouble with it

I agree. The statement wasn’t made as an accurate reflection on reality or an individual opinion. It was simply meant to inflame. No logical basis for it whatsoever so well done for countering the nonsense. 

25 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Only some of the time. Dont forget you dont speak at all underwater, which is where all the practical training takes place. A lot of the classroom stuff is by rote learning from a book too, at least on PADI where I did my training.

No but you have sign language underwater that you need to practice first and understand what they all mean. You don't just go in the water and that's it, there's soo much more you need to learn.

How would you communicate to people who don't speak thai or english? Google translate? No, this is not just for laughs and giggles, you have to take diving seriously, if you cannot communicate with your diving instructor how will you know what to do in a serious situation????????

It's quite hard arguing with people who don't live here or understand the way things work here.

1 minute ago, Bobohoho said:

No but you have sign language underwater that you need to practice first and understand what they all mean. You don't just go in the water and that's it, there's soo much more you need to learn.

How would you communicate to people who don't speak thai or english? Google translate? No, this is not just for laughs and giggles, you have to take diving seriously, if you cannot communicate with your diving instructor how will you know what to do in a serious situation????????

It's quite hard arguing with people who don't live here or understand the way things work here.

Yes I said 'some of the time.' I'm an Advanced Diver, I spent quite a lot of time training under Finnish, Egyptian, English, Spanish and all manner of nationalities.

8 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Yes I said 'some of the time.' I'm an Advanced Diver, I spent quite a lot of time training under Finnish, Egyptian, English, Spanish and all manner of nationalities.

Ah that's great so you should understand then. Yes there are lots of materials to read but you also need someone explaining it to you in further details. There have been many situations when there were language barriers, and the student totally f***s up under water as they didn't understand what they were doing and have a traumatic experience. 

13 minutes ago, Poolie said:

So dive training and English teachers aren't that special, except getting the accents correct in English. 

1 minute ago, LoongFred said:

So dive training and English teachers aren't that special, except getting the accents correct in English. 

It's not just about speaking English, its about speaking many different languages for people who don't speak English.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LoongFred said:

There are not any specifically. Lots of experience, diver level qualifications and instructor training. Ongoing professional membership with a training agency. 

Thais can do the job and I know several Thai instructors. Contrary to popular belief, the dive industry in Thailand is for a large part domestic. Diving is a prestigious sport and people spend big on it. Much does depend on language though. A dive centre will generally employ a range of instructors with language coverage for their customer markets.

Edited by Artemis080
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bobohoho said:

Ah that's great so you should understand then. Yes there are lots of materials to read but you also need someone explaining it to you in further details. There have been many situations when there were language barriers, and the student totally f***s up under water as they didn't understand what they were doing and have a traumatic experience. 

Yes as I said 'some of the time.' The quality of the training is dependent on the trainer. I've dived with people who have no English at all but I didn't train with them. It's a 'universal language.'

12 minutes ago, Artemis080 said:

There are not any specifically. Lots of experience, diver level qualifications and instructor training. Ongoing professional membership with a training agency. 

Thais can do the job and I know several Thai instructors. Contrary to popular belief, the dive industry in Thailand is for a large part domestic. Diving is a prestigious sport and people spend big on it. Much does depend on language though. A dive centre will generally employ a range of instructors with language coverage for their customer markets.

THANK YOU!!!!! Where I live we have all different diving schools that cater for different nationalities. There's a Spanish diving school, German school etc.

You need to cater to all nationalities otherwise they won't come.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

I agree. The statement wasn’t made as an accurate reflection on reality or an individual opinion. It was simply meant to inflame. No logical basis for it whatsoever so well done for countering the nonsense. 

The PE in Calornia require working under a PE qualified engineer for 2 years after passing the engineer in training exam. The pass rate isn't high for US for students that studied in the US where they pretty much teach to the test. It is especially difficult for foreigners. In California the Thai community is large and diverse. I have met many but most are in business. I couldn't imagine the Thai  community in Vancouver was very large.

22 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Worlds Best 20 unis are all in US or UK. UK has 110 unis with 5 considered world top 20. No doubt the 25-30 UK unis below those top 5 are highly regarded. The rest probably not…..with most probably well below the top 2 Thai unis…..

The question was what was the global rating of the university you attended? 

27 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

You should either get yourself checked, or keep away from the keyboard while drunk. Your mistakes are becoming embarrassing  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

No, that wasn’t any question here …and isn’t a relevant question here either…suggest you stay silent if nothing of value to offer🤣😩

22 hours ago, Marc26 said:

That's just a fact

Many or most top level Thai Medical Consultants / Professors / Surgeons are certified as practitioners,  and authors of medical papers, at the very highest level,  by US medical institutes, i.e. the best there is, along with Germany & UK.

1 hour ago, oldschooler said:

Many or most top level Thai Medical Consultants / Professors / Surgeons are certified as practitioners,  and authors of medical papers, at the very highest level,  by US medical institutes, i.e. the best there is, along with Germany & UK.

What does that have to do with what I wrote?

You are also sort of proving my point.....

16 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

What does that have to do with what I wrote?

You are also sort of proving my point.....

saying that not all Thais have inferior degrees is the opposite of your “ point”.