News Forum - Myanmar junta revokes citizenship for National Unity Government members

Thaiger

Myanmar’s junta government announced today that it revoked the citizenships of several members of the country’s opposition government, which it considers a ‘terrorist’ group. This ‘opposition’ is mainly composed of the previously elected government that were overthrown on February 1, 2021. The Bangkok Post did not report the total number of members whose citizenships were revoked. But it included the opposition’s minister of foreign affairs, its home minister, and its human rights minister. The junta wrote about this decision in a notice in a state-run newspaper, alleging the opposition had violated laws. “…found to be committing acts that could harm […]

The story Myanmar junta revokes citizenship for National Unity Government members as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

12 hours ago, Thaidup said:

I don't get it, are they not born in Burma? How can you revoke citizenship of a native born person?

My question exactly, Thaidup!!  How can a government lawfully revoke the citizenship of a native born person!!  

13 hours ago, Thaidup said:

I don't get it, are they not born in Burma? How can you revoke citizenship of a native born person?

Cancel their passport, refuse admission - job done. 

20 minutes ago, Tau152 said:

My question exactly, Thaidup!!  How can a government lawfully revoke the citizenship of a native born person!!  

20 minutes ago, Tau152 said:

I stand to possibly be corrected!  A careful study of the following may reveal the possibilities of a native-born citizen of Myanmar (and some other countries) being legally stripped of their citizenship! 

https://www.academia.edu/49856442/Revocation_of_Citizenship_The_New_Policies_of_Conditional_Membership

It's actually a bit more common than you might think. There are a myriad of reasons you can loose citizenship. One way is serving in a foreign military or foreign government. Which might be the rational the Junta is using against the ousted government officials in this case

Meanwhile the world is going in overdrive over the Ukrainian situation, but the murderous thugs that took power in Myanmar can continue to kill their own people without any punishment by the so called free world. All the Thais I talk to are going on about a  war in far away Europe, while being completely mute on what's happening next door.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donald said:

Meanwhile the world is going in overdrive over the Ukrainian situation, but the murderous thugs that took power in Myanmar can continue to kill their own people without any punishment by the so called free world. All the Thais I talk to are going on about a  war in far away Europe, while being completely mute on what's happening next door.

How many is that?

34 minutes ago, Poolie said:

How many is that?

Interesting question. As a rough guess it would be in excess of a Hundred. I wasn't counting the numbers though. Just the fact that the ones I am able to communicate with are more interested in what's happening in Ukraine then next door.

2 minutes ago, Donald said:

Interesting question. As a rough guess it would be in excess of a Hundred. I wasn't counting the numbers though. Just the fact that the ones I am able to communicate with are more interested in what's happening in Ukraine then next door.

A hundred?? Quite the orator then. Back in the UK as a national I didn't talk to 100 people in a month.

5 minutes ago, Poolie said:

A hundred?? Quite the orator then. Back in the UK as a national I didn't talk to 100 people in a month.

So, what do you want to say with that ? I am a bit lost as to what it is you are trying to say. If you don't agree with what I say, be my guest. You know free speech and all that. We all have different social lives I suppose. I am quite active in exchanging ideas and opinions, and my wife who is the main contact between me and the Thai community has loads of contacts. So, what is your point ? I repeat all of the Thai contacts I know are talking about a topic they have very little knowledge about, but keep their mouths shut on things that are happening very close by, like the Myanmar situation. That is a fact. Not something I just made up.

1 hour ago, mws said:

That doesn't surprise me!

Yeah, I dont suffer fools gladly, see? They get the bums rush pretty quick.

Bye.

8 hours ago, Cabra said:

It's actually a bit more common than you might think. There are a myriad of reasons you can loose citizenship. One way is serving in a foreign military or foreign government. Which might be the rational the Junta is using against the ousted government officials in this case

In the case of the OP it is action taken to supress political opposition by the military dictatorship.

3 hours ago, Donald said:

I agree that I’d like to see more pressure placed on the Myanmar thugs. However, the Ukraine conflict is one of a nation invading another. Myanmar is an internal conflict entirely contained to Myanmar. If the free world was to get involved in all countries where internal struggles are taking place, they’d be involved in 50 or more places.

The world is a total mess. Always has been and always will be, as long as humans inhabit the planet. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Yeah, I dont suffer fools gladly, see? They get the bums rush pretty quick.

Bye.

Oh I see,,,,they're all fools ...how convenient for you.🤣