News Forum - Australian cricket legend Shane Warne dies in Koh Samui villa

Thaiger

12 hours ago, OOber said:

I asked friends around the world and no one outside Australia or England has ever heard of this guy. I am sorry for the family's loss but why the big fuss over someone known in barely two, maybe three countries.

You have no idea mate!

Are you asking Russians and European people?

Why even comment on something you know nothing about!

1.5 Billion people in India

alone know of the famous Shane Warne!

21million in Sri Lanka

63 Million in Great Britain

60 million in South Africa

223 Million in Pakistan 

5 Million in New Zealand

165 Million in Bangladesh 

14 Million Zimbabwe

25 Million Australians

37 Million in Canada

and many other Commonwealth countries that play cricket like Malaysia, Singapore

37million more

so know one knew of him really!!

you have no idea!!!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Khunmark said:

I’m not going to assume where you are from, however outside of English football, cricket has the greatest global reach. Warne has been adjudged in the top 5 ever to play the game. The equivalent of a Diego Maradonna in his sport. This, along with his ongoing contribution to the game, the age at which he died and his persona, meant this was always going to be a big story.

Well, the top 10 countries playing cricket list includes Fiji, Samoa, West Indies, Afghanistan. 

If you take away India (1 billion viewers) cricket wouldn't make the school paper anywhere.

Cricket's greatest competition is a 2 country game called Ashes (sounds like death match). I would be insulted if my favourite sport is played by Peru vs Angola to decide the best team.

I searched for Shane in non-British/Australian news and he wasn't mentioned anywhere. To be fair, maybe we should announce every curling player's demise?

Shane's death of course is sad and tragic but it is just local news.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Grant said:

You have no idea mate!

Are you asking Russians and European people?

Why even comment on something you know nothing about!

1.5 Billion people in India

alone know of the famous Shane Warne!

21million in Sri Lanka

63 Million in Great Britain

60 million in South Africa

223 Million in Pakistan 

5 Million in New Zealand

165 Million in Bangladesh 

14 Million Zimbabwe

25 Million Australians

37 Million in Canada

and many other Commonwealth countries that play cricket like Malaysia, Singapore

37million more

so know one knew of him really!!

you have no idea!!!

https://www.topendsports.com/world/lists/popular-sport/final.htm

Cricket is not in the top 10 of most popular sports played in the world. Listing population stats is a cheap stunt, mate.

Dragon Boat Racing is, however, more popular. Field hockey is number 10 with 3 million players.

I know you love your cricket, but's an acquired taste.

Sidenote: I googled some news from the last Ashes. The English team was mentioned as overweight and shamed by Australian fans. That alone tells me it's not as professional as you want me to believe.  I know, you will say  Maradona was fat like an English bowler, but he actually won a real world cup with more than 2 participating teams. 

23 hours ago, OOber said:

I asked friends around the world and no one outside Australia or England has ever heard of this guy. I am sorry for the family's loss but why the big fuss over someone known in barely two, maybe three countries.

Well Known & Respected in Cricket World so AUS / NZ / SA / UK / IND / PAK/ WI. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Who was Diego Maradonna and what sport did he play?

Maradona Greatest ever Football Player. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Are you an American who is rather ignorant of the World outside America ?

No. But please stay on topic. This is about the world of cricket losing one of their greatest players.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Well Known & Respected in Cricket World so AUS / NZ / SA / UK / IND / PAK/ WI. 

You're absolutely right. I read he was amazing at his sport. But that is a rather small pool of countries. To be fair, no one in the EU, most of Africa and the Americas has ever heard of him. But England and it's colonies, with a sport forced upon them, have. Fair enough.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, OOber said:

23 hours ago, OOber said:

I asked friends around the world and no one outside Australia or England has ever heard of this guy.

OOber had you and your friends heard of Volodymyr Zelenskyy before the last few weeks? Should we put that down as 'just local news' too?

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Scribble said:

OOber had you and your friends heard of Volodymyr Zelenskyy before the last few weeks? Should we put that down as 'just local news' too?

Not really on topic, it's actually whataboutism, but yes, actually I first noticed him when his TV show about a president was mentioned in a political magazine in 2017 or 2018. Not sure. I have also seen his comedy since. He is a great piano player. You will like his instrument.

I have been accused of being an American and unknowing of Zelenskyy. Can't you cricket lovers not defend cricket so you have to deflect like a child?

• Like 1

This thread is about expressing condolences for Shane Warne's family. But some people seem to be sidetracked by me. I merely stated that this is not major news, that's it. Cricket is a sport that entails a lot of stats (so I read) but its supporters don't accept numbers and stats very much. There have actually very few expressions of condolences regarding Shane's death on Thaiger forum, proving my point that cricket is not a sport known or played by many. In any case, it seems limited to England and it's former colonies. Is any wellwisher here from outside that region?

Edited by OOber
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OOber said:

You're absolutely right. I read he was amazing at his sport. But that is a rather small pool of countries. To be fair, no one in the EU, most of Africa and the Americas has ever heard of him. But England and it's colonies, with a sport forced upon them, have. Fair enough.

You can’t “force” people to play a sport 🤣 Cricket freely adopted & truly loved within those former stated British Empire nations. It’s a difficult complex English - invented sport which few countries can master, like Rugby, another sport like Cricket that Americas, EU, Africa play …. Just not top level, sorry …. ( except France / Rugby !).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OOber said:

This thread is about expressing condolences for Shane Warne's family. But some people seem to be sidetracked by me. I merely stated that this is not major news, that's it. Cricket is a sport that entails a lot of stats (so I read) but its supporters don't accept numbers and stats very much. There have actually very few expressions of condolences regarding Shane's death on Thaiger forum, proving my point that cricket is not a sport known or played by many. In any case, it seems limited to England and it's former colonies. Is any wellwisher here from outside that region?

Is this a serious post Kh OOber?

• Like 2

On 3/5/2022 at 11:55 PM, OOber said:

I guess that is more a reflction on you and  your circle of friends 🥴

• Like 2

8 hours ago, oldschooler said:

You can’t “force” people to play a sport 🤣 Cricket freely adopted & truly loved within those former stated British Empire nations. It’s a difficult complex English - invented sport which few countries can master, like Rugby, another sport like Cricket that Americas, EU, Africa play …. Just not top level, sorry …. ( except France / Rugby !).

In India the colonial side used cricket to get control over local pirates who looted British ships.

Here's quote that sums it up:

In Thomas Hughes’s Tom Brown‘s Schooldays, a schoolteacher emphasised the importance of discipline, teamwork and putting one’s team’s interest ahead of oneself. Just as you should not dissent the umpire’s decision, so you must not question the nation and the empire. Adopting such a mindset was seen as the perfect preparation for imperial administrative and military functions.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, OOber said:

Well, the top 10 countries playing cricket list includes Fiji, Samoa, West Indies, Afghanistan. 

If you take away India (1 billion viewers) cricket wouldn't make the school paper anywhere.

Cricket's greatest competition is a 2 country game called Ashes (sounds like death match). I would be insulted if my favourite sport is played by Peru vs Angola to decide the best team.

I searched for Shane in non-British/Australian news and he wasn't mentioned anywhere. To be fair, maybe we should announce every curling player's demise?

Again you are not even close to the top ten cricketing nations ?

where did you get that fact !

Oober you have no idea!

so please don’t comment of what you have no idea!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, OOber said:

In India the colonial side used cricket to get control over local pirates who looted British ships.

Here's quote that sums it up:

In Thomas Hughes’s Tom Brown‘s Schooldays, a schoolteacher emphasised the importance of discipline, teamwork and putting one’s team’s interest ahead of oneself. Just as you should not dissent the umpire’s decision, so you must not question the nation and the empire. Adopting such a mindset was seen as the perfect preparation for imperial administrative and military functions.

51EFC055-7488-46C3-AB9D-351D1CEB42C8.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, Grant said:

51EFC055-7488-46C3-AB9D-351D1CEB42C8.jpeg

Oober is proving that South Americans don’t know anything about cricket and also how in educated he is with his KRAAS uneducated statements about Shane Warne

Warne made Headlines on nearly every Newspaper in The Commonwealth which exposes about 2 Billion people to this Cricketing Icon!

Yet Oober says he could not find any news on British papers?

Did you just make that up?

Do you really make statements that have no substance and tell us you did research?

Your credibility of making any statements is getting vey low

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Grant said:

Again you are not even close to the top ten cricketing nations ?

where did you get that fact !

Oober you have no idea!

so please don’t comment of what you have no idea!

From the ICC website. Good enough? 

It says to become a proper full member a country must have the right infrastructure in place. There seem to be only 12 countries able to do so since 1909.

It feels like I hit a nerve with some people. I didn't mean to offend, just stating facts from official cricket websites. You are all losing focus on this thread, therefore I will now stop commenting on cricket. There are far more important things going on in this world and it's now becoming a nuisance.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Grant said:

Yet Oober says he could not find any news on British papers?

13 hours ago, OOber said:

I searched for Shane in non-British/Australian news and he wasn't mentioned anywhere. 

Please learn to read properly.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OOber said:

From the ICC website. Good enough? 

It says to become a proper full member a country must have the right infrastructure in place. There seem to be only 12 countries able to do so since 1909.

It feels like I hit a nerve with some people. I didn't mean to offend, just stating facts from official cricket websites. You are all losing focus on this thread, therefore I will now stop commenting on cricket. There are far more important things going on in this world and it's now becoming a nuisance.

You may not see any value in such a thread but as our membership is worldwide and many of those have grown up knowing and seeing this sporting personality, makes his death and tribute newsworthy alone. You could ask me about many sports played worldwide and despite their champions being known by those who love the sport, others may not recognise who they are.

As a cricket player myself in my younger days, here are some simple facts for you.

There are 106 countries (20 Africa teams, 17 Americas teams, 23 Asian countries, 11 East-Asia Pacific countries, and 35 European nations) who are members of the ICC and playing some version of cricket. This includes Thailand whose women’s team achieved their first T20 world cup at the last event. Are you aware the USA is a co-host nation of the T20 world cup in 2024?

https://www.cricfooty.com/international-cricket-team-icc-members-list/

Not all countries play all types of cricket. Without doubt, the easiest to sustain, the most popular and competitive is the T20 format of the game, which has increased playing numbers worldwide in areas previously considered too challenging to try and build the game. 

Cricket is like a religion in India. Players there are hailed as superstars on the same level as Football stars are in other countries, sometimes even higher, like Sachin Tendulker . Their T20 IPL played each year is the biggest and richest tournament played annually worldwide, based on a Franchise system, bring players from all round the world.

However, perhaps this is not the time for commentary about the game itself and allowing prejudices to flow through in a thread where knowledge is clearly lacking by some.

Every sport no matter how big or small has players that become seemingly larger than life and are idolised or seen as heroes by those growing up. Shane Warne is considered to be one of the game’s greatest players ever and as such has earnt the respect and admiration of so many. 

He may not be the household name in some countries as he is in others. But for those who play cricket, he is a legend. Not for only his achievements on the field, but as a commentator, coach and more importantly a guide for other players no matter what country they are from or how old they are. 

So better if we all forget the game and just remember the man, what he did for sport as a sportsman, and what he did to inspire kids to get out and play sport no matter where you came from or how skilled you were.

That alone is testament to him and why it is a tragedy he has left us now. So much more he could have given in real life to the younger generations coming along.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, OOber said:

Breathtakingly ignorant post, on so many levels. Please try and educate yourself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1