News Forum - Bangkok criminal court won’t let activist study on scholarship in Germany

Thaiger

A student activist facing lèse majesté charges won’t be allowed to study in Germany with a scholarship for a post-graduate program. Ravisara, nicknamed Dear, was charged when she read a statement in German in front of the German Embassy in Bangkok in 2020. When Dear applied to leave the country for a prestigious scholarship program, The Bangkok South Criminal Court rejected the application. The court claimed Dear might try to evade trial, and it couldn’t be sure she would comply with proposed conditions in Germany. The court also said it would be hard for Dear’s parents and guarantor to ‘control’ […]

The story Bangkok criminal court won’t let activist study on scholarship in Germany as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Students always like protesting, but in my whole life. I've never seen a government take any notice of people with little experience of actual life. I'm not Thai, but my experience tells me these protests will never get anywhere in a country where there have been so many coups in the last one hundred years. Its something in South East Asian culture that makes this happen. That's what needs to change and sadly students aren't going to change it. Only time can change this situation maybe another 30-40 years in my estimation. But then of course there will be another coup later, its cultural.

Edited by alex12345
blah
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alex12345 said:

Students always like protesting, but in my whole life. I've never seen a government take any notice of people with little experience of actual life. 

Australia had armed forces conscription in the 60/70s. Students protested and marched in the streets, by the 80s conscription was history.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, palooka said:

Australia had armed forces conscription in the 60/70s. Students protested and marched in the streets, by the 80s conscription was history.

Took 30 years then? Sounds like the Brits, notoriously slow at doing anything.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

3 hours ago, alex12345 said:

Students always like protesting, but in my whole life. I've never seen a government take any notice of people with little experience of actual life. I'm not Thai, but my experience tells me these protests will never get anywhere in a country where there have been so many coups in the last one hundred years. Its something in South East Asian culture that makes this happen. That's what needs to change and sadly students aren't going to change it. Only time can change this situation maybe another 30-40 years in my estimation. But then of course there will be another coup later, its cultural.

its something related 1 st of all to the standard / way of education ......... to culture and history in a minor aspect .....anywhere at any time of this life .....even in the US or Europe reality can change very fast ......best examples to be seen in the last US fullon - donut - president and the situation in Europe now .....  and if something makes it change than having the balls to speak up and making all students having little experience of actual life is a bit over the top and incorrect - and if you know the situation so well concerning these aspects which are trying to be changed - than I ld like to see you living with them