News Forum - Bangkok officials install more than 62,000 security cameras around the capital

Thaiger

Officials in Bangkok have installed over 62,000 security cameras all over the capital, according to a Nation Thailand report. Bangkok governor, Aswin Kwangmuang, says the installation of 62,217 additional cameras has been done with the safety of residents in mind. The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration has also set up 13 monitoring centres, where CCTV footage can be checked. According to Aswin, all security cameras across all 50 districts of the capital are now online and connected to the monitoring centres. He says regular checks are carried out to ensure the cameras remain online, so that incidents or accidents can be recorded […]

The story Bangkok officials install more than 62,000 security cameras around the capital as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

"Bangkok officials install more than 62,000 security cameras around the capital"

And, eleven actually work when needed.

• Haha 1

Coming to your favorite watering hole and bedroom very very soon. You will not be able to do the hanky panky or mattress flop without them knowing it. Freedom as you know it is disappearing very fast here with another thank you to the CCP showing them the way for total control. this is nothing more than an act of suppresion and total control. Not for the people but actually against all of us.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

"Bangkok officials install more than 62,000 security cameras around the capital"

And, eleven actually work when needed.

There might be the one or the other selective use of "sorry, that one was just down for service", yes.  

But on the other hand, everywhere where they did rise the numbers of CCTV, they are often quickly get to results, don't they?

Aside the fact that in Thailand no one is complaining about private CCTV "observing public" ground Which gives access to thousand of more cameras, if needed. And wanted, of course.

I have mixed feelings about this, but on the other hand, the safety seems to get up, a bit. Or at least they can punish perpetrators afterwards. The Indian-gangster killers from Phuket, without everywhere CCTV, they would not (that quickly) be able to connect the dots to the 2 persons leaving the Country 900 km away from the crime scene. They assumingly wouldn't even gotten to the guns, that quickly, at all, or to the car they used.

As long everyone can benefit from the CCTV, doesn't matter who the culprit in the video is, it is some freedom gone, but safety won. 

Digital money is a lot more to worry about, methinks! Plus Smartphone tracking. No CCTV needed, for your every step and spending

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

They must figure out how to cover the river with CCTVs, to keep the celebrities safe.

Ouch! and that is why the submarines too?

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Officials in Bangkok have installed over 62,000 security cameras all over the capital, according to a Nation Thailand report.

But none near or around Thai Police Check Points ….. guaranteed!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guest1 said:

There might be the one or the other selective use of "sorry, that one was just down for service", yes.  

But on the other hand, everywhere where they did rise the numbers of CCTV, they are often quickly get to results, don't they?

Aside the fact that in Thailand no one is complaining about private CCTV "observing public" ground Which gives access to thousand of more cameras, if needed. And wanted, of course.

I have mixed feelings about this, but on the other hand, the safety seems to get up, a bit. Or at least they can punish perpetrators afterwards. The Indian-gangster killers from Phuket, without everywhere CCTV, they would not (that quickly) be able to connect the dots to the 2 persons leaving the Country 900 km away from the crime scene. They assumingly wouldn't even gotten to the guns, that quickly, at all, or to the car they used.

As long everyone can benefit from the CCTV, doesn't matter who the culprit in the video is, it is some freedom gone, but safety won. 

Digital money is a lot more to worry about, methinks! Plus Smartphone tracking. No CCTV needed, for your every step and spending

Good post; good points, well made. Cheers mate.

And, I could not agree more about Digital Money, but that is for another day.

It is the eternal dilemma that a thing can be used for both good and evil. I have no data to prove that crime and trouble-making goes down in a widely-covered area, but anecdotal evidence suggests that it does. Okay, It isn't replicable data to be measured in a lab, but remember the old adage that 'The Plural of Anecdote is Data'. Finally, I know that when I see a camera (and I have gotten in the habit of looking; they are effing everywhere!), I am less likely to do something... er..  bad (?!), whatever that maybe.

However, it is a perilous road to go down.

Each time a new technology, a new method of using tech, each time there is a crime, an event portrayed as 'bad', a small voice says 'Yeah, just give up a little bit more of your freedom and you'll be safe', and at no time do we ever hear that voice say 'It's okay, we have enough tools already. We don't need more.'. Moreover, there is a truism in Poli-Sci circles that 'A government, whether benign or malignant, doesn't easily give up powers gained'. Finally, I think it just makes cops/security people become isolated in the monitoring room instead of understanding the outside world; a good cop on the beat can do great things but a cop in front of a monitor only sees a short-term, two-dimensional shot.

The biggest worry that I have is that 'if', or more accurately 'when', you have systems like this, they are open to abuse. I do not wish to Thai-bash; I like living here with/despite all the imperfections. I think, generally speaking, all would agree that the police don't seem to have quite enough ethics training, the law enforcement support people seem to 'play Facebook' as much as anyone else, the judges often seem to be in the headlines and Thai history notes several incidents of riots/shots fired in the streets. Taken together, I'd prefer that some not have as much power as they do.

It is the final point that incited me to write; the idea that "..as long as everyone can benefit from the CCTV...". I, and I suspect quite a few on here, have lived in the Kingdom for a while and know that the idea that 'All Men are Created Equal' is a Western concept, not an Eastern one. At the end of the day, the concept of equal justice for all doesn't apply here (I don't need to explain this), and thus one has to wonder if the cameras are there for public safety to protect some against others.

The scary part is that this discussion needed to occur many years ago, but didn't really. Or, at least not long and loud enough.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

At the end of the day, the concept of equal justice for all doesn't apply here

I think that I could have wrote it more clear, but I thought my "sorry, that one was just down for service" and "selective" gave that away: I know that.

But there is ALWAYS a chance, just look at Ferrari Joe, that someone is pushing "equality" in the using. Hardly possible without ANY cameras. One little step in the right direction?

And with the private cameras, legally and everywhere, just think on smartphones, there are even more chances, that equality use will happen more often. As soon officials have to face a bigger chance, to get caught while bending the rules, WITH consequences, as sooner they may stick to the books. 

Wishful thinking? Perhaps. But it is hope, isn't it?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Guest1 said:

I think that I could have wrote it more clear, but I thought my "sorry, that one was just down for service" and "selective" gave that away: I know that.

But there is ALWAYS a chance, just look at Ferrari Joe, that someone is pushing "equality" in the using. Hardly possible without ANY cameras. One little step in the right direction?

And with the private cameras, legally and everywhere, just think on smartphones, there are even more chances, that equality use will happen more often. As soon officials have to face a bigger chance, to get caught while bending the rules, WITH consequences, as sooner they may stick to the books. 

Wishful thinking? Perhaps. But it is hope, isn't it?

Hmm...

The race between technology being used to oppress people VS the race to use technology to combat the oppressors; an epic, titanic battle, and an important one. 

Sadly as I try to maintain an optimistic outlook, I think the oppressors will win in the end. Both sides might have equal opportunities to catch up the other, but only one side has the power of sanction, arrest and/or imprisonment. The other side has the power of shame, and the older I get, the more I realize that those who want to use power for nefarious means rarely have much shame.

Damn! I hope that I am wrong.

• Cool 1

Have visited one of these recording sites, very well set up, good equipment and excellent quality replays.

Only criticism is they are not manned it is only a recording site, you ring, make an appointment and someone will meet you there. Usually a senior Police officer with the IT tech. Very pleasant and happy to play, replay and supply a particular segment you require.

• Cool 1

On 3/4/2022 at 3:23 AM, Thaiger said:

accidents can be recorded

Great stuff there'll be a never ending box set there then .. best make sure they got extra hard drives with Songkran on the horizon .. 

• Haha 1