Soi Dog population explosion and rabies danger in Isaan and other provinces

Cardofish

3 minutes ago, riclag said:

Every time I take out the trash I take a long handle wooden stick with a knife on the end of it just for protection!

Our two posts crossed in the ether and we both mention sticks 😂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

I am similar to you in that way and just try to adapt. In Khon Kaen for example, I know that the middle stretch of Thanon Theparak is an absolute no go zone between sunset and 7am. So I take a different route. The problem is when I go for a stroll in an unfamiliar area, in which case I carry a stick. 

Your brave, strolling! The young lady across from us takes one of her mutts along with her during her 5:30 pm bike rides! The dog must have a fixation with its owner being on the bike cause it barks chaotically from the time they leave until they come back!

Just imagine the excitement it creates within the mooban! 
Sucks!

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, riclag said:

Your brave, strolling! The young lady across from us takes one of her mutts along with her during her 5:30 pm bike rides! The dog must have a fixation with its owner being on the bike cause it barks chaotically from the time they leave until they come back!

Just imagine the excitement it creates within the mooban! 
Sucks!

Chao Lao beach front in Chanthaburi is another hotspot I’ve encountered. Liap Chai Fang Road runs parallel to the beach there and is overrun with dogs after dark. The defensive weaponry is more enhanced there. In addition to the stick, I carry two or three stones at any one time.

• Cool 1

2 hours ago, Benroon said:

No I can't but it was you who promoted the idea it's fine for Cambodians to take dogs off the street and kill them inhumanly for food, therefore unless you're a bloodthirsty sadist, the onus is on you to provide evidence it's done humanly.

I never mentioned in any comment they were killed in an  inhumane manner, the onus is on you to read comments as they are written and stop including your deranged perceived ideas.

You've lost the plot sunshine. Wake up and get a life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/10/2022 at 11:39 AM, Benroon said:

haha so someone who isn't a fan of dogs being plucked off the street, butchered in lets say less than humane conditions or even cooked alive are 'goodie two shoes' ?? haha heard it all now.

You injected the words and statements"inhumane" "butchered" "cooked alive"  NOT me. You are definitely not all there. 

Please no more comments, I'll be happy to ignore you for the rest of my days.

• Like 2

On 3/3/2022 at 8:35 AM, Cardofish said:

Rick in Bueng Kan:  The soi dog population in Isaan is out of control.  Dogs string garbage, attack bicycle riders, kill chickens and ducks, and run in large packs.  With the threat of Rabies a real issue in the Northeast and other provinces, why is more not done to cull this obvious problem. With Rabies vaccine in short supply or non existent, Rabies is a death sentence to those infected.  Flea infested animals also carry the risk of black plague. Everyone in Thailand knows about this issue and nothing is being done to curb it.

Nothing has changed in my neck of the woods, not so many soi dogs around and those that are around are mostly young and relatively friendly.  The reason is clear, because they are well fed and watered by the people around us. Just because they are unowned soi dogs doesn't mean they are all dangerous or a menace. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Chao Lao beach front in Chanthaburi is another hotspot I’ve encountered. Liap Chai Fang Road runs parallel to the beach there and is overrun with dogs after dark. The defensive weaponry is more enhanced there. In addition to the stick, I carry two or three stones at any one time.

Get a shanghai, cheap at 20 baht, used it for 2 weeks in our village with great success when walking, dogs see me coming and leave the streets.  I walk every morning assisting the monks and they appreciate the  lack of attention my prescence brings.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, palooka said:

Get a shanghai, cheap at 20 baht, used it for 2 weeks in our village with great success when walking, dogs see me coming and leave the streets.  I walk every morning assisting the monks and they appreciate the  lack of attention my prescence brings.

I think you are onto something there @palooka because dogs are pretty smart and remember individuals. In Chanthaburi they stopped harassing me after the first couple of encounters. Other folks I observed from my balcony, not so much.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

I think you are onto something there @palooka because dogs are pretty smart and remember individuals. In Chanthaburi they stopped harassing me after the first couple of encounters. Other folks I observed from my balcony, not so much.

You just have to assert your dominance, it is the only thing they know

I had my German Shepherd with me in Patong

The 1st couple of weeks the soi dogs went crazy but he would bark at them and I'd step towards them and they soon stopped barking and bugging us....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marc26 said:

You just have to assert your dominance, it is the only thing they know

I had my German Shepherd with me in Patong

The 1st couple of weeks the soi dogs went crazy but he would bark at them and I'd step towards them and they soon stopped barking and bugging us....

Absolutely. It’s all about asserting dominance. They can sense fear and reticence (much like mobile phone sales people). I find if you take an assertive step towards them, it’s often enough.

On 3/14/2022 at 7:23 PM, riclag said:

Its terrible in these middle class residential areas ! There’s more dogs then people!

I swear I live in a dog ,not people village ! Every time I take out the trash I take a long handle wooden stick with a knife on the end of it just for protection!

Many Thai treat the soi dogs with compassion, despite their obvious  Nuisance and threat to safety .

Feeding them only prolongs their suffering and enables more breeding, so it's not really compassion

13 minutes ago, Sarisin said:

Feeding them only prolongs their suffering and enables more breeding, so it's not really compassion

I agree 110%, I was being kind with my words! I cant  say what I truly feel

21 hours ago, Sarisin said:

Absolutely. It makes sense that plentiful food would act as a biological trigger for increased breeding.

Interesting parallel in Japan, which until the early 90s also had the equivalent of “Soi dogs”. Then they all “disappeared” in short order.

Japan has a zero tolerance policy. It may be distressing for some to read about, but there are so-called “death trucks” here: mobile gassing vehicles that round up, euthanize strays and then carry them off to the crematorium. I don’t think such a system would ever gain traction in Thailand. 

Old article, but worth a read.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/peoplesdaily/article-3333553/Japanese-politician-exposes-cruelty-Tokyo-euthanasia-centre-stray-dogs-animals-suffer-FIFTEEN-minutes-die-suffocation.html

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Interesting parallel in Japan, which until the early 90s also had the equivalent of “Soi dogs”. Then they all “disappeared” in short order.

Japan has a zero tolerance policy. It may be distressing for some to read about, but there are so-called “death trucks” here: mobile gassing vehicles that round up, euthanize strays and then carry them off to the crematorium. I don’t think such a system would ever gain traction in Thailand. 

Old article, but worth a read.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/peoplesdaily/article-3333553/Japanese-politician-exposes-cruelty-Tokyo-euthanasia-centre-stray-dogs-animals-suffer-FIFTEEN-minutes-die-suffocation.html

Whilst I hate our village's stray soi dogs, there's no way I'd countenance that method of euthanasia, which I have to say, given the high opinion that I have of Japan, did shock me. Surely there must be better, faster ways of killing the mutts.

8 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Whilst I hate our village's stray soi dogs, there's no way I'd countenance that method of euthanasia, which I have to say, given the high opinion that I have of Japan, did shock me. Surely there must be better, faster ways of killing the mutts.

Agreed and it’s a bit rough. As much as the Soi dogs can be an inconvenience, I’ve not sure if I could countenance them being rounded up and gassed en masse.

They don’t do it to cats anymore in Japan, but dogs are fair game. That’s why virtually every dog here is microchipped to prevent an unfortunate outcome for a lost pooch.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

On 3/14/2022 at 5:12 PM, Sarisin said:

I thought the soi dog foundation had the answer! It's not just Buddhist beliefs hampering an effective solution, if this was the real reason Thais would not be having millions of animals killed every year so they can eat them.

Bizarre post none of which is even tainted by truth or reality! Where are tossed ‘millions’ of dogs stored/ cooked by Thais before consumption ? 

How much have you donated to the Soi Dog Foundation out of interest given your critique of their efforts? 

1 hour ago, King Cotton said:

Why kill them at all ? Inconvenience hardly seems a humane reason to a rational human being, Is the western sense of entitlement creeping back in ? 

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 7:47 PM, palooka said:

I never mentioned in any comment they were killed in an  inhumane manner, the onus is on you to read comments as they are written and stop including your deranged perceived ideas.

You've lost the plot sunshine. Wake up and get a life.

Haha Ok I’m thinking I need to stop using big words with you - you were ok for dogs to be taken off the streets for food, the question was then raised how were they going to be killed prior to eating - still with me ? 

That’s where the inhumane angle came in unless you know otherwise ? So if after being snatched from the street they are NOT killed in an inhuman manner, how do you think they’re being killed ?

Perhaps look up ‘implication’ 

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 8:00 PM, palooka said:

You injected the words and statements"inhumane" "butchered" "cooked alive"  NOT me. You are definitely not all there. 

Please no more comments, I'll be happy to ignore you for the rest of my days.

When the going gets tough ….

8 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Why kill them at all ?

Because they present an increased rabies risk. If you had a youngster that was bitten by a soi stray, how would you feel . . . quite honestly, @Benroon?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

Why kill them at all ? Inconvenience hardly seems a humane reason to a rational human being, Is the western sense of entitlement creeping back in ? 

health reasons, traffic risks, noise, attacks, they all need to go. Squeamishness against killing, but people are having so many animals killed all the time to eat, killing pests is no different, they are all animals.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2022 at 2:43 PM, King Cotton said:

Because they present an increased rabies risk. If you had a youngster that was bitten by a soi stray, how would you feel . . . quite honestly, @Benroon?

I wouldn't allow that situation to happen - parenting I guess. In a similar way you wouldn't stop them going out because there are thousands of cars that could kill them.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2022 at 10:59 PM, Sarisin said:

health reasons, traffic risks, noise, attacks, they all need to go. Squeamishness against killing, but people are having so many animals killed all the time to eat, killing pests is no different, they are all animals.

But you're bias - I don't have a problem with the things you list so again why should they be killed because you want them to be? I think grumpy people past their sell by date are up for 'removal', but it's never going to happen. I would rather live next door to a yapping dog than a miserable old XXXX who complains every time a tree branch invades his space but it's never going to happen. You see them as pests, less grumpy people don't I guess. 

I took two in as pets and they are great loyal animals. I also feed them in and around my golf course and not one of the dozens there have ever been aggressive to me. Infact they are remarkably well behaved given some of the abuse that comes their way.

You're in their world, it's never going to change (and if you think the thai government are going to launch an anti dog extermination programme to appease miserable old falangs, when the vast majority of thais don't have a problem with it you've got a long wait coming) - get along with it or continue to drive yourself nuts!

Edited by KaptainRob
Offensive word deleted
  • Haha 1
  • Angry 1

On 3/14/2022 at 12:23 PM, riclag said:

Its terrible in these middle class residential areas ! There’s more dogs then people!

I swear I live in a dog ,not people village ! Every time I take out the trash I take a long handle wooden stick with a knife on the end of it just for protection!

Many Thai treat the soi dogs with compassion, despite their obvious  Nuisance and threat to safety .

I treat them with compassion I'm not thai. Perhaps they can sense the kind of person you are, in the last few decades no dog has ever attacked me perhaps I've just got lucky or who knows they can feel my kindness as someone who doesn't walk around with blade encrusted sticks (and they're dangerous right ?) 🤔

How many dog bites have you actually received ?