Soi Dog population explosion and rabies danger in Isaan and other provinces

Cardofish

Rick in Bueng Kan:  The soi dog population in Isaan is out of control.  Dogs string garbage, attack bicycle riders, kill chickens and ducks, and run in large packs.  With the threat of Rabies a real issue in the Northeast and other provinces, why is more not done to cull this obvious problem. With Rabies vaccine in short supply or non existent, Rabies is a death sentence to those infected.  Flea infested animals also carry the risk of black plague. Everyone in Thailand knows about this issue and nothing is being done to curb it.

• Like 5

I saw a Thai man die a few weeks ago. He was driving a motorbike (no helmet unfortunately) when a came upon a few dogs lying in the road. He startled one of them, it jumped in front of the motorbike, they went tumbling, the man fell and broke his neck. The dog ran away just fine, ready to make more dog babies. Something needs to be done.

• Like 4

Totally agree with every word you say but I believe Buddhism calls for the 'unnessessary' killing of animals and who decides whether it is necessary or not is open to debate. I would have thought that animals that are at best a nuisance and at worst a danger and should not be walking the streets/roads/tracks or even sleeping outside the local 7/11.

And of course you have the 'do-gooders' who seem to insist on feeding these pests and just add to the problem by increasing the longevity of the dogs  miserable existence and making our lives miserable by having to put up with them.

Disclaimer: I do like dogs and indeed I have a well behaved dog that is not a nuisance to anyone or anybodies property.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back. 🐾

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

So, I waited a while to get a general feeling from response.  The feeling is that the soi dog scurge is real. In the northeast, and especially in smaller amphoes, the vet clinics are not prepared to do sterilization. They couldn't be bothered and no one will bring in dogs and cats to spay or neuter.  The clinics that do exist, don't stay open for long for lack of business. This is a health issue and once the Gov sets mandates in place, the local govs and wats will comply.  If they think Covid was bad, wait until rabies gets established in an area. I have lived in Thailand for 14 years. I am a permanent resident.  I believe in Thailand.  My concern is for all alike.

Edited by Cardofish
typo
  • Like 3

What does it take to get Mutt and Jeff (reference to old newspaper cartoon) to discuss this soi dog topic during their Thaiger YouTube blogs? It is huge health problem in most areas of Thailand. I can't seem to get anyone interested in a huge problem we all have.

14 minutes ago, Transam said:

If the authorities aren't bothered about underage kids riding motorbikes to school and dying on regular bases, I cannot see them being bothered about dogs and the odd rabies death..

Perhaps if it was discovered that the dogs had Covid that the authorities would react forcefully.  It seems that traffic accidents/deaths and dog bites just aren't high enough on the list of things to be concerned about. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Some years ago the dog population was kept under control by the Cambodians who would happily take one or two home for eating.  The "goodie two shoes" crowd  thought this inappropriate and got the Govt to ban this practice. 

Some "Vets" (if you can call them that) refuse to to desex animals (think they don't know how to do these ops)  and quote beliefs at you etc.  In general Thais are not spending hundreds of baht on dogs when they are short of essentials.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Transam said:

he authorities' response to Covid would be.

Has to show proof of insurance, quarantined and second PCR test in 5 days  That is unless he joins the cat and goes to the sandbox. 

image.png.6a0f191f51af4a31e6ef899f3cabc034.png

• Like 1

On 3/5/2022 at 3:56 AM, Cardofish said:

So, I waited a while to get a general feeling from response.  The feeling is that the soi dog scurge is real. In the northeast, and especially in smaller amphoes, the vet clinics are not prepared to do sterilization. They couldn't be bothered and no one will bring in dogs and cats to spay or neuter.  The clinics that do exist, don't stay open for long for lack of business. This is a health issue and once the Gov sets mandates in place, the local govs and wats will comply.  If they think Covid was bad, wait until rabies gets established in an area. I have lived in Thailand for 14 years. I am a permanent resident.  I believe in Thailand.  My concern is for all alike.

and in that 14 years how bad has rabies got ?

On 3/5/2022 at 5:14 AM, palooka said:

Some years ago the dog population was kept under control by the Cambodians who would happily take one or two home for eating.  The "goodie two shoes" crowd  thought this inappropriate and got the Govt to ban this practice. 

Some "Vets" (if you can call them that) refuse to to desex animals (think they don't know how to do these ops)  and quote beliefs at you etc.  In general Thais are not spending hundreds of baht on dogs when they are short of essentials.

haha so someone who isn't a fan of dogs being plucked off the street, butchered in lets say less than humane conditions or even cooked alive are 'goodie two shoes' ?? haha heard it all now.

With Mother Teresa no longer with us I'm assuming you won't be applying for the vacancy ?

On 3/5/2022 at 4:10 AM, Cardofish said:

What does it take to get Mutt and Jeff (reference to old newspaper cartoon) to discuss this soi dog topic during their Thaiger YouTube blogs? It is huge health problem in most areas of Thailand. I can't seem to get anyone interested in a huge problem we all have.

Thailand

Rabies Elimination Progress

A SARE score of 3.5 out of 5 signifies that the country is nearing freedom from dog-mediated human rabies, with a concurrent decline in animal rabies cases.

Here you go, sleep well. 

On 3/3/2022 at 1:49 AM, JustAnotherExpat said:

I saw a Thai man die a few weeks ago. He was driving a motorbike (no helmet unfortunately) when a came upon a few dogs lying in the road. He startled one of them, it jumped in front of the motorbike, they went tumbling, the man fell and broke his neck. The dog ran away just fine, ready to make more dog babies. Something needs to be done.

More crash helmet posters ?

2 hours ago, Benroon said:

With Mother Teresa no longer with us I'm assuming you won't be applying for the vacancy ?

Applied but told try again next year.😆

2 hours ago, Benroon said:

haha so someone who isn't a fan of dogs being plucked off the street, butchered in lets say less than humane conditions or even cooked alive are 'goodie two shoes' ?? haha heard it all now.

I'm a big fan of hungry families eating, Cambodians eat dog, fine by me, You probably eat many things that are offensive to others. Cows are sacred in India, people eat cows. Eating pork is extremely offensive to many people. 

So is it better the families go hungry, dogs become a problem with rabies etc. Think not. Ref "goodie two shoe " crowd are a bit too ">unidentified slang term<" for me.

• Like 3

?????????? ">unidentified slang term<"  it's in the dictionary.
>unidentified slang term<
[wəʊk]

VERB
  1. past of wake.
ADJECTIVE
informal
  1. alert to injustice and discrimination in society, especially racism.
    "we need to stay angry, and stay >unidentified slang term<" · 
    synonyms:

• Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 7:44 AM, palooka said:

I'm a big fan of hungry families eating, Cambodians eat dog, fine by me, You probably eat many things that are offensive to others. Cows are sacred in India, people eat cows. Eating pork is extremely offensive to many people. 

So is it better the families go hungry, dogs become a problem with rabies etc. Think not. Ref "goodie two shoe " crowd are a bit too ">unidentified slang term<" for me.

Eat what you like as long as it doesn't involve suffering and barbarism - so can you provide links to the Cambodian regulated dog slaughterhouses ?

10 hours ago, Benroon said:

can you provide links to the Cambodian regulated dog slaughterhouses ?

Can you provide any link to any Cambodian regulated slaughterhouses (or Thai for that matter)

On 3/12/2022 at 3:50 AM, palooka said:

Can you provide any link to any Cambodian regulated slaughterhouses (or Thai for that matter)

No I can't but it was you who promoted the idea it's fine for Cambodians to take dogs off the street and kill them inhumanly for food, therefore unless you're a bloodthirsty sadist, the onus is on you to provide evidence it's done humanly.

11 minutes ago, Benroon said:

No I can't but it was you who promoted the idea it's fine for Cambodians to take dogs off the street and kill them inhumanly for food, therefore unless you're a bloodthirsty sadist, the onus is on you to provide evidence it's done humanly.

I vaguely remember seeing or reading about eating dogs,it might have been Vietnam or Korea.Seems that the dogs basically are tortured before they are finally killed and consumed.It allegedly improves the taste.I don't want to Google it.

2 minutes ago, yselmike said:

I vaguely remember seeing or reading about eating dogs,it might have been Vietnam or Korea.Seems that the dogs basically are tortured before they are finally killed and consumed.It allegedly improves the taste.I don't want to Google it.

Exactly but for some posters that's acceptable as long as once every 3 years they're not chased on a bike !

I thought the soi dog foundation had the answer! It's not just Buddhist beliefs hampering an effective solution, if this was the real reason Thais would not be having millions of animals killed every year so they can eat them.

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

Exactly but for some posters that's acceptable as long as once every 3 years they're not chased on a bike !

I am torn between my safety and not wanting to be cruel to the dogs.I like to walk about 10k a day when I am on vacation in Thailand,the dogs are a serious problem for me,on my morning strolls I see many others have the same problem, Thai's and falangs.Like it or not they are a problem and if they have become a bigger threat because of the pandemic,that we will not know untill tourists return on mass! If it's not sorted I for one will have to seriously consider if I will ever return to Thailand.I will wait and see how it pans out.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, yselmike said:

I am torn between my safety and not wanting to be cruel to the dogs.I like to walk about 10k a day when I am on vacation in Thailand,the dogs are a serious problem for me,on my morning strolls I see many others have the same problem, Thai's and falangs.

I am similar to you in that way and just try to adapt. In Khon Kaen for example, I know that the middle stretch of Thanon Theparak is an absolute no go zone between sunset and 7am. So I take a different route. The problem is when I go for a stroll in an unfamiliar area, in which case I carry a stick. 

• Like 2

Its terrible in these middle class residential areas ! There’s more dogs then people!

I swear I live in a dog ,not people village ! Every time I take out the trash I take a long handle wooden stick with a knife on the end of it just for protection!

Many Thai treat the soi dogs with compassion, despite their obvious  Nuisance and threat to safety .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1