Renowned Thai doctor cautions against letting tourists avoid 14 day quarantine

Thaiger

Yesterday, a renowned Thai doctor, told media that he and his colleagues strongly opposed any program designed to admit foreign tourists, even the vaccinated, if the tourists aren’t required to do a strict 14 day quarantine. Further, Dr Prasits thinks that the quarantine should be even longer, depending on the variant. The doctor, and Dean of Faculty of Medicine at Siriaj Hospital, was alluding to programs such as the Phuket Sandbox and the Pattaya Move On scheme.  Both programs would allow foreign (vaccinated) tourists to enter Thailand without a strict quarantine. However, visitors would still have to follow some terms […]

The post Renowned Thai doctor cautions against letting tourists avoid 14 day quarantine appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

There is always someone declaring: The end of the world is nigh.

This renown doctor is a doctor hardy anyone has heard of.

A renown critic of Thailand's administration - me -  declares: Take your chances with Covid.

Even when contracted it is unlikely to kill anyone that is not fat, old, or who is already sick.

Some catch Covid, recover, and never know that they have had it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 2

more to the point should thailand allow fully vaccinated tourist to come to a country that only vaccinated  5 % of its own people exposing everyone to this contagious virus,was lead to believe 70% on the island had to be fully vaccinated by july 1st and unlikely to achieve that target as there very little vaccine available the doctor should be more concern with locals not fully vaccinated tourist who are 90% protected

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, harry1 said:

. . . . the doctor should be more concern with locals not fully vaccinated than tourists who are 90% protected.

Couldn't agree more, harry1 and I hope you'll pardon my making a couple of minor edits to your text.

Welcome to T-T, where I'm sure you'll enjoy many further points of debate.

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

KC

• Like 1

Can this doctor with such closed brain and mind, surely rich, can donate 50% of his monthly wealth to avoid more suicides, support the jobless and the ones whom have lost everything, then look at other countries with successful opened schemes to compare ?

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Patnou said:

. . . then look at other countries with successful opened schemes to compare ?

A valid line of thought, for sure.

Hello, Patnou and welcome to T-T!

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

KC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TobyAndrews said:

There is always someone declaring: The end of the world is nigh.

This renown doctor is a doctor hardy anyone has heard of.

A renown critic of Thailand's administration - me -  declares: Take your chances with Covid.

Even when contracted it is unlikely to kill anyone that is not fat, old, or who is already sick.

Some catch Covid, recover, and never know that they have had it.

As someone that is old, but not fat and hopefuylly without any serious illness, I do hope that you dont mean you dont care if I get Covid. Yes it is something that is only serious for certain groups and not a problem for others, but when a fitter and very well older relative (69) caught it and ended up in ICU for 3 days, I changed my mind about the need to impose restrictions. 

I agree with the Doc - until any receiving or sending country has at least 70% inoculated fully for at least a month, then all travel in and out of those countries should be  stopped.  So far Covid has killed about 3 and a half million, and that is way more than Influenza kills - despite all the lockdowns and impositions, Covid has been deadly.  Not as deadly as they first said it would be for sure, but serious enough to warrant the impositions. You cannot stop a virus - but you can slow its spread - and as shown in Thailand a new surge can happen very quickly no matter how good things have been. It only takes 1 to spread it to others on and on and on.

• Cool 1

Here we go again worrying about the wrong thing. How about they worry about getting enough vaccines here. Speaking with friends in the USA there is a surplus of vaccines now just don’t understand how the first batch of Moderna won’t arrive until October.  If they would have been worried about the vaccine from the start Thailand would be reopening fully now like some of the other vaccinated countries.  Full sporting stadiums across the US and much of Europe. Come on, Thailand let’s catch up and get moving. 

Edited by King Cotton
Removal of distracting emojis and minor correction
  • Haha 1

Renowned doctor news report is contradictory in last 2 paragraphs.  More waffle to add to existing waffle ... ignore!

• Haha 1

Allowing in fully vaccinated and twice tested tourists is hardly a risk to anyone but themselves. The alternative which is to remain in effect closed, Thailand has already decided they can no longer afford. Not a lot of attractive options left. 

• Cool 2

What if! what if!

That doctor is a scaremonger and I know his primary concern is variants of the virus, that may arrive in Thailand.

We have to plan for the reopening of the country and ignore the What if brigade.

If a new variant is discovered in Thailand you react to it and plan accordingly with a localized lock-down to restrict its movement.

• Cool 2

The doctor is worried about future variants.... Is he also worried about the next pandemic of a completely different kind, so maybe Thailand should move ahead with permanent 14 day quarantine.

If he'd announced one single scientifically proven piece of data then it could be argued that he has a point, but at the moment research is indicating (but not proven) that 4 days (not 14) quarantine would be more than sufficient for fully vaccinated travellers until the population is vaccinated sufficiently. 

So I'd suggest the motivation for the wealthy doctor making this statement is political rather than medical.

Edited by King Cotton
Error correction by removal of a series of 5's, probably a typing error
  • Cool 1

19 minutes ago, Gary said:

Come on, Thailand let’s catch up and get moving.

Yes, come on, Thailand! Excellent debut post, Gary, and please pardon my removal of those text-talk type emojis and the minor text edit.

Hello, Gary and welcome to T-T!

Happy posting

KC

Dear Thai Government - 

Do not listen to this advice. You've had plenty of time to learn from the scientific discoveries made since March 2020. For example, it turns out hand-washing & santizing everything repeatedly isn't really that necessary. And quarantining travellers for longer than 14 days?! A person who is fully-vaccinated and has tested negative multiple times is not a threat. They should not be treated as prisoners, to be locked up in a hotel room for two weeks. And when science has shown that even if they do catch the virus (small odds), their odds of needing hospitalization are even smaller (tiny)! So why are you forcing them to buy additional insurance on top of their own policies that already cover medical attention?!

Please use the worldwide learnings, be accommodating to your struggling and failing business owners, get your economy moving, and ground your decisions appropriately. Don't lock all your doors and spin your wheels (hello, Phuket "reopening" with no final guidelines). Be a model for Southeast Asian success.

Regards,

The World

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Peter said:

Do not listen to this advice.

Yes, an understandable opener, Peter!

Hello there and welcome to T-T!

Happy posting

KC

• Like 1

The good doctor must have forgotten his math.  The best way to get to 70% vaccination is to let in as many vaccinated people as possible.

The argument of not letting in "vaccinated foreigners" while arguing that more people in the county need to be vaccinated is simply illogical.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

5 hours ago, jkline1605 said:

. . . is simply illogical.

'Same-same', you might say, for the stuff that comes from this circus of a government.

Hello, jkline1605 and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Happy posting

King Cotton

• Like 1

What is this obsession with excepting people who have had the so-called vaccines? From what I’ve been reading, these vaccines have caused a temporary slowdown in cases, followed by an uptick as these people have become asymptomatic carriers of the virus. The latter is mutating in as little as 10 hours and it is the vaccines that are stimulating the creation of Variants. Vaccines are also out of date as they are based on the original strain from Wuhan. I have had Covid, ironically caught on the flight back from Bangkok to the UK, and having looked around the world, referred to studies that never seem to make the mainstream media, and it is pretty obvious that if you have had Covid once you are unlikely to get it a second time, and that includes all the variants. Oh, and good luck with the Chinese Sinovec vaccine. I’m sure it’s efficacy must’ve dropped to less than 10% by now!

23 minutes ago, Cg66 said:

Oh, and good luck with the Chinese Sinovec vaccine.

Lots of points to ponder there and, according to reports, a more than justified scepticism regarding Sinovac.

Hello, Cg66 and and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Happy posting

King Cotton

They are acting like little babies,children and headless chicken. They have no competence in managing crises . It shows Thailand has no capable people and experiences for such times . In Europe they had 2 world wars, many wars already before that and managed many crises til today. Thailand really doesnt know what to do like it is their first crises and they could be lucky they had no war because it will take a few hours only with their level of competence.

• Cool 1

29 minutes ago, Stardust said:

They are acting like little babies,children and headless chicken. They have no competence in managing crises . It shows Thailand has no capable people and experiences for such times . In Europe they had 2 world wars, many wars already before that and managed many crises til today. Thailand really doesnt know what to do like it is their first crises and they could be lucky they had no war because it will take a few hours only with their level of competence.

Thailand got a full punch into the face because of their education system and level. For a crises management you need crytical thinking, logic and a common sense and for a development, too. They teach them don't think and talk only take orders and be a empty head. Many outside of Thailand or with a proper education are thinking how is it possible that a society let their country ruled and managed by incompetent clowns.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

besides the clowns Thailand has to accept that every variant virus is in the country already,

open the borders for fully vaccinated people without any quarantine
and let tourists stay at hotel as privat quarantine for about 7 days at positiv test

do not look at Australia, much borders but hard to arrive by sea,
Thailand has long borders they could never crontrol, illegal crossings,
more dangerous than tourists come by flights

Edited by satpete
  • Like 1

This so-called renowned doctor then must explain what is the difference between a vaccinated incoming traveller and a vaccinated local resident.

- Either everybody getting the vaccine should observe quarantine, regardless of their origin

- Or nobody getting the vaccine should observe quarantine, regardless of their origin

Choose one.

Edited by uanmak
  • Like 1
  • Cool 1

On 6/19/2021 at 12:10 PM, Cg66 said:

What is this obsession with excepting people who have had the so-called vaccines? From what I’ve been reading, these vaccines have caused a temporary slowdown in cases, followed by an uptick as these people have become asymptomatic carriers of the virus. The latter is mutating in as little as 10 hours and it is the vaccines that are stimulating the creation of Variants. Vaccines are also out of date as they are based on the original strain from Wuhan. I have had Covid, ironically caught on the flight back from Bangkok to the UK, and having looked around the world, referred to studies that never seem to make the mainstream media, and it is pretty obvious that if you have had Covid once you are unlikely to get it a second time, and that includes all the variants. Oh, and good luck with the Chinese Sinovec vaccine. I’m sure it’s efficacy must’ve dropped to less than 10% by now!

I’m not being critical or suggesting anything negative. However I’m intrigued as to how you know you caught Covid on the flight back from BKK. What events and timeline made you so sure you caught it in that 13-14 hour window?  

• Haha 1