News Forum - Thailand-India air travel bubble gets the greenlight to start this month

Thaiger

50 minutes ago, Soidog said:

You should reread my posts. I have no reason to find fun in slagging anything or anyone off. If I did, I could certainly find plenty in my own country. My reference to fun was in opening your eyes and seeing the ways of the country you are in. How is that slagging it off? 

Go in to any land registry office in Thailand and tell me that’s not enjoyable. The mountains of paper documents and the click click sound of manual typewriters. It’s like stepping back in time. 

Why is your only attempt to counter my option to assert personal insults such as calling me bitter. I have nothing to be bitter about. I have a perfectly happy and healthy life choosing from my own free will to spend between 6 and 9 months of the year here in this amazing country. Why turn to insults to substantiate your thoughts. You can disagree without being disagreeable. 

Im afraid you fall in to the category of judging anything people highlight which is inferior or old school as slagging off the place. If Thailand was poor like Loas, then it would be more understandable. But it’s not a poor country. It has the resources and the technology to modernise and improve. I’m suggesting it doesn’t actively choose not to do so, it’s held back by its history and it’s structure of governance and decision making. I could of course be totally wrong. Thailand may decide tomorrow to lead the ASEAN group of nations out of this Covid mire. I’m not sure I’d get many takers if I bet on that!  

Any post that refers to “ the Thais” or “They” as some kind of monolithic people is instantly flawed in my opinion. You said “I honestly think the Thais simply find it difficult to modify their ways based on experience.” That isn’t really true is it any more than any other country? It may depend what your points of reference are . I have worked in many parts of Africa and South America where everything is was behind Thailand level of development . Thai Tourism groups are lobbying the government constantly to drop restrictions so not all Thais think the same.

My perception is that you come across as bitter in the tone of your posts so if that is not the case I humbly apologize for the comment.
I notice that you have flaming wars with other people on the forum so I might not be the only person to think that.

I actually thought Thailand did a good job of dealing with the first wave. Everyone wore masks even before it was legally mandated and by mid 2020 when the virus was out of control in western countries where people were refusing to wear masks cases were in single digits here. Vaccination was slow but got sorted out.Of course Delta ruined that but I can see light at the end of the the tunnel now. It will get sorted even if the pace is not to your liking. If you try not put me in any “ categories” I will  try not to call you bitter even though that’s the vibe you give off in your posts😃

10 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

You said “I honestly think the Thais simply find it difficult to modify their ways based on experience.” That isn’t really true is it any more than any other country? It may depend what your points of reference are

Yes I did say that and my only point of reference was what I see in Thailand compared to many other countries. I have worked in numerous countries over the years. Some are held back by the political systems and others are held back by lack of funds and access to technology. I know of no other country (there may be plenty?) whereby a claimed democracy which is regarded as middle income, is held back due to its own history and culture of never questioning how things are done. This isn’t a criticism, it’s an observation of daily life. A few years back I stayed in a hotel in Bangkok during a contract I was assigned to. It wasn’t a large hotel and was close to the airport. Each week (Thursday) at 16:00, the hotel manager would assemble as many of the staff as possible. They all attended in a small meeting room just off of reception , note pads in hand. I sat there on several occasions and listens as the manager spoke, the staff wrote down some of what was said. The manger spoke some more and some more and some more. For between 1-2 hours this went on every week. Not once did I hear a single question asked. I’m fairly sure many such meetings involving changes to Covid rules are Conducted in the same one way style. 

12 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

Thai Tourism groups are lobbying the government constantly to drop restrictions so not all Thais think the same.

Lobbying how I wonder? Lots of leaked comments in the press, but where is the real criticism of the way it’s being handled. All you hear is that they will raise it at the next meeting. I never said all Thais think the same. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

I actually thought Thailand did a good job of dealing with the first wave. Everyone wore masks even before it was legally mandated and by mid 2020 when the virus was out of control in western countries where people were refusing to wear masks cases were in single digits here. Vaccination was slow but got sorted out.Of course Delta ruined that but I can see light at the end of the the tunnel now. It will get sorted even if the pace is not to your liking. If you try not put me in any “ categories” I will  try not to call you bitter even though that’s the vibe you give off in your posts😃

Yes they did a good job in the first wave. But I’m not sure why you have raised that as a counter to my post. I never said they didn’t. I have some thoughts on why this was which I suspect you may disagree with. I’ll save that for another time perhaps. 

Please be assured that I have nothing whatsoever to be bitter about. The only “arguments” I have with people in this forum are the bullies. The people who add no value and just post deliberately provocative short comments to offend people, and those who for whatever reason, defend Thailand more than even a Thai would. I could make assumptions that this is due to these people having made their bed in Thailand and bitter that they have no escape. Hence any criticism is taken personally and they lash out. I’ll assume you aren’t in that category. 

Fianlly, apologies for the multiple posts but for some reason the option to reply via multiple quotes isn’t working. 

7 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Lobbying how I wonder? Lots of leaked comments in the press, but where is the real criticism of the way it’s being handled. All you hear is that they will raise it at the next meeting. I never said all Thais think the same. 

I guess we’ll see what happens after the next meeting😃

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Yes they did a good job in the first wave. But I’m not sure why you have raised that as a counter to my post. I never said they didn’t. I have some thoughts on why this was which I suspect you may disagree with. I’ll save that for another time perhaps. 

Please be assured that I have nothing whatsoever to be bitter about. The only “arguments” I have with people in this forum are the bullies. The people who add no value and just post deliberately provocative short comments to offend people, and those who for whatever reason, defend Thailand more than even a Thai would. I could make assumptions that this is due to these people having made their bed in Thailand and bitter that they have no escape. Hence any criticism is taken personally and they lash out. I’ll assume you aren’t in that category. 

Fianlly, apologies for the multiple posts but for some reason the option to reply via multiple quotes isn’t working. 

My point about the first wave was to highlight that Thailand was able to adapt to a changing situation. I also have trouble with multiple quotes. I fully accept that you are not bitter and I already apologized for that assumption. Now you mention it I do note that other people have commented with single line inane replies to some of your other posts. I’ll try to keep an open mind about future posts but I do believe that you can’t make sweeping generalizations about people as a monolithic entity because for every generalization that you can come up with I can think of people who don’t fit that mould often people in positions of influence. I still don’t see the fun in persistent criticism but that’s a personal preference.

3 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

My point about the first wave was to highlight that Thailand was able to adapt to a changing situation. I also have trouble with multiple quotes. I fully accept that you are not bitter and I already apologized for that assumption. Now you mention it I do note that other people have commented with single line inane replies to some of your other posts. I’ll try to keep an open mind about future posts but I do believe that you can’t make sweeping generalizations about people as a monolithic entity because for every generalization that you can come up with I can think of people who don’t fit that mould often people in positions of influence. I still don’t see the fun in persistent criticism but that’s a personal preference.

I totally agree it’s wrong to generalise about an entire race of people. I used the holistic term of The Thais in order to convey a feeling that it is the way of the majority, if not vast majority, not to question positions of higher authority. 

Thanks for the apology, but I certainly wasn’t seeking one. That said it’s appreciated 👍🏻

I have had a few battles with people on here. I don’t in anyway see any of the posts as personal. After all, I don’t know any of the people on this forum. However, I can’t abide people who try to belittle and bully people. Especially when those people are simply expressing an opinion. Thankfully, the main protagonist in that has gone quiet. Similarly when someone posts a casual remark such as they have decided to go elsewhere on holiday this year, should not be met with smart arse comments such as “Have a nice trip, you won’t be missed”.One of the forum guidelines makes reference to not posting anything that if said face to face would get you a smack in the mouth. I’d love the opportunity with one such smart ass on here. Finally there are those that even if you said the weather has been wet in Rayong today, would respond with comments such as “Not as wet as where you come from”😂😂.That just gets annoying 

Anyway. Thanks for the exchange. I genuinely appreciate a good exchange of views and opinions. I’ll take on board your feedback regarding negativity. I’m awake late as a result of some work being done back in the UK that I needed to be available on the phone for. That’s just completed and so I’ll sleep until after mid-day now.  Have a good one 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I totally agree it’s wrong to generalise about an entire race of people. I used the holistic term of The Thais in order to convey a feeling that it is the way of the majority, if not vast majority, not to question positions of higher authority. 

Thanks for the apology, but I certainly wasn’t seeking one. That said it’s appreciated 👍🏻

I have had a few battles with people on here. I don’t in anyway see any of the posts as personal. After all, I don’t know any of the people on this forum. However, I can’t abide people who try to belittle and bully people. Especially when those people are simply expressing an opinion. Thankfully, the main protagonist in that has gone quiet. Similarly when someone posts a casual remark such as they have decided to go elsewhere on holiday this year, should not be met with smart arse comments such as “Have a nice trip, you won’t be missed”.One of the forum guidelines makes reference to not posting anything that if said face to face would get you a smack in the mouth. I’d love the opportunity with one such smart ass on here. Finally there are those that even if you said the weather has been wet in Rayong today, would respond with comments such as “Not as wet as where you come from”😂😂.That just gets annoying 

Anyway. Thanks for the exchange. I genuinely appreciate a good exchange of views and opinions. I’ll take on board your feedback regarding negativity. I’m awake late as a result of some work being done back in the UK that I needed to be available on the phone for. That’s just completed and so I’ll sleep until after mid-day now.  Have a good one 👍🏻

Good comment. Have a good lie in

On 3/1/2022 at 6:51 PM, Thaiger said:

Thai and Indian airlines are now allowed to offer flights through the travel bubble scheme between the two countries, allowing citizens and visa holders to travel between Thailand and India.

On 3/1/2022 at 6:51 PM, Thaiger said:

India’s Ministry of Civil Aviation has confirmed on its website that India has created an air bubble arrangement with Thailand,

Well Well some further investigation …..  Thailand Ain’t Special as the Indians air bubble has burst and ALL flights allowed in …. And 37 key countries other than Thailand already had Air Bubbles  🤣🤣🤣

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/india-to-resume-scheduled-international-flights-from-march-27/articleshow/90079268.cms

After 2 years, India to resume regular international flights from March 27

India will finally allow scheduled international flights to resume from March 27, 2022, — two years after they were suspended. While expensive “air bubble” arrangements with 37 key destination countries ensured global connectivity during this period, regular flight resumption was awaited for two reasons — more connectivity/choices, leading to lower fares. The Ukraine conflict will, however, cast its shadow on these expectations. 
Top travel industry officials say regular flight fares will definitely be much lower than exorbitant bubble charges but they are unlikely to be close to their pre-pandemic levels as crude is now close to the $140-mark and rupee has crashed below 77 mark to the US dollar. Jet fuel prices globally are at 14-year high.

11 hours ago, Soidog said:

I honestly think the Thais simply find it difficult to modify their ways based on experience. They start off doing something a particular way, and it then seems utterly fixed forever. I’m not sure if it’s a mindset brought up on bureaucracy or a mindset that doesn’t welcome new ideas. I just don’t think there’s a mechanism for anyone in a meeting to say “You know what, let’s stop this test on arrival. There’s no scientific need for it now is there?” Unless the guy at the top “Orders” it, no one feels it’s their job to express an opinion and bring about change. It’s why all buildings are the same. It’s why all water pipes are blue. It’s why all buildings have very defined perimeter walls. It’s why all things are done exactly the same the length and breadth of the country. They will only change when told to or money makes them change.  

Exactly. Covid rules will be similar to the prohibition on sale of alcohol between 2-5pm. At this point no one really knows but it’s the rule  

If you run a business, why do you need to submit a signed copy of your company documents with almost everything you want to do?  Just because. 

7 minutes ago, JJJ said:

Exactly. Covid rules will be similar to the prohibition on sale of alcohol between 2-5pm. At this point no one really knows but it’s the rule  

If you run a business, why do you need to submit a signed copy of your company documents with almost everything you want to do?  Just because. 

Yes it’s a real frustration. I don’t have a problem with people doing things how they wish. It’s part of what makes the world a fascinating place and I’m sure my own country does things that to an outsider look peculiar. However, if asked, why do people do a particular thing in the UK, I’d probably have a good go at explaining it, even if it was a little quirky. Ask the same of many Thais and the stock answer is “because”. Or “have to”. They’ve either never asked, never interested to ask, or simply never given and answer when they asked. I’ve been coming to Thailand for around 28 years. I often feel I know more or less the same about the place now as I did in my first 6 months. Sadly that’s true of most of the Thai people. 

4 hours ago, Soidog said:

Yes it’s a real frustration. I don’t have a problem with people doing things how they wish. It’s part of what makes the world a fascinating place and I’m sure my own country does things that to an outsider look peculiar. However, if asked, why do people do a particular thing in the UK, I’d probably have a good go at explaining it, even if it was a little quirky. Ask the same of many Thais and the stock answer is “because”. Or “have to”. They’ve either never asked, never interested to ask, or simply never given and answer when they asked. I’ve been coming to Thailand for around 28 years. I often feel I know more or less the same about the place now as I did in my first 6 months. Sadly that’s true of most of the Thai people. 

Good point. Maybe the restrictions on alcohol sales were copied from the old UK licensing laws by Thais who were educated in the UK in years gone by. If I remember correctly those laws were introduced in WW1 in UK but were kept in place for 80+ years for no logical reason. Hopefully the Covid laws won’t be kept in place for that long 😃. I actually think that the restrictions on alcohol sales were brought in during the Taksin era. I don’t know anyone who cares about them much because you can always work around them by going to a small store where such rules are often ignored 

Edited by Stevejm

1 hour ago, Stevejm said:

I don’t know anyone who cares about them much because you can always work around them by going to a small store where such rules are often ignored 

I think that’s true of many rules or laws in Thailand. Everything for drink driving to immigration laws. From speeding to murder. There’s always a way around the laws if you are inclined and have sufficient funds. The laws are more like flexible general guidelines. A real positive for foreigners with a bit of cash and of course for locals with a bit of cash.

Thailand to the Indians is akin to Magaluf to the Brits and we all know how that pans out.  Good luck with that set of tourists. 

10 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Thailand to the Indians is akin to Magaluf to the Brits and we all know how that pans out.  Good luck with that set of tourists. 

I think that has worked out very well for Magaluf. They make tons of money so putting up with a few drunken brawls is a relatively small price to pay. I doubt that the Indian tourists fight as much so that will be a good thing for Thailand 

Edited by Stevejm