News Forum - Russian Ambassador meets with Phuket officials, discusses establishing a sister city

Thaiger

10 hours ago, francoa said:

They are supporting Russia, that is why the world has to unite. Starting with banning Russian planes over their territories 

Impossible without causing an escalation, in order to ban planes over territories they would have to be shot down, I refer to Boris Johnson's reply when asked to ban Russian planes over the Ukraine, he said no as that would mean we would have to shoot some down. 

• Like 1

Just now, Stardust said:

Btw nobody needs the uk for blocking the airspace. If the Eu block the airspace no aircraft can go the uk anyway. They go also now on media outlets who are involved missiformation campaigns from Russia

https://www.theverge.com/2022/2/27/22953563/eu-ban-russia-aircraft-state-backed-media-ukraine-sanctions

And the military and security cyper units are also analysing social media to identify who is sponsored or involved missinformation campaigns from Russia

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Vigo said:

Yes, I too am disgusted with Thailand in this matter

But why?

Were you equally disgusted with the West when the West did nothing when Indonesia invaded East Timor?

... or Vietnam invaded Cambodia?

... or at the West's disinterest in Myanmar?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Tim_Melb said:

Agreed the world needs to unite in sanctions and banning Russian trade and transport. But we cannot punish neutrality that achieves nothing other than pushing the undecided into the arms of Russia and China. We need to deal with the neutral countries by showing them and convincing them of the atrocities that Putin has committed and continues to commit and the validity of peaceful sanctions and restrictions on Russia as a way of pressing Putin to stop. 

But what about the far worse "atrocities" elsewhere that the West has done nothing about?

Don't they matter as much?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JamesR said:

The Russians planned this for years and over those years they have build up massive amounts of reserves including gold, the reserves can not be blocked as you say as they are in Russian and under Russian control.

It will take quite a while, well after they have completed the take-over of the Ukraine before external policies affect them. 

That was the plan. Unfortunately as the saying goes the plan is only good until first contact. As pointed out some 60% of those massive reserves were held in European, American and Japanese banks. All of that money is now frozen and unavailable to the Russian central bank. Russia didn't plan on that. They also didn't plan on being removed from SWIFT (Putin actually threaten the west before in the invasion claiming if that happen it would be considered an act of war), nor having it's access to overseas capital markets blocked. The Russian economy is headed to a major recession, something that wasn't in the "plan". This is why Russia has doubled interest rates, and instituted capital controls. The west has systematically taken apart Russia's ties to the world economy. This is going to go tits up for Russia much sooner than was in their plan. Taking over a country and subjugating/controlling a country are two very different things. The later might take Russia a decade or two if ever. Well within the time needed for external polices to effect them.  

• Like 6

Refer to the topic heading please.

Russian Ambassador meets with Phuket officials, discusses establishing a sister city

Moderator.

32 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Impossible without causing an escalation, in order to ban planes over territories they would have to be shot down, I refer to Boris Johnson's reply when asked to ban Russian planes over the Ukraine, he said no as that would mean we would have to shoot some down. 

Who cares what Johnson is thinking? Do you think Johnson can decide for the world, Eu, USA, Canada, Japan, etc etc???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

A few years ago I stayed for two nights in a very large hotel near Pattaya, apart from the three of us everyone else in the hotel were Russian.

They seemed quite polite to me on the beach, in the hotel bars and shops and in the restaurants, they were very quiet in general. 

I met a group of Russians three years ago at a bar in Phuket, very educated and polite and were interesting to talk to. 

A few years before that I was sitting at a hotel restaurant in Phuket, there were two of us, a group of Russians invited us to sit with them and we had a very fun evening.

It also happened to me with a group of Chinese.

If you pre-judge people they will see it on your face and will avoid people like that, maybe that is the reason you think them unfriendly as they see you as unfriendly. 

As I said, you've been lucky. I've seen different things. And no, I am not pre-judgeing anyone and unless given a good reason I am not unfriendly to anyone. So let's agree that we have made different experiences so far. And of course, there is nothing like "the typical Russian" (or any other nationality for this sake). I think there are about 135m Russians, so there is obviously quite a bandwidth from polite and educated to loud and rousing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

No airspace anywhere is blocked, Boris Johnson was asked to block the airspace over the Ukraine and he said no as it would mean shooting Russian planes down causing an escallation in the conflict. 

Airports can block planes from landing at their airports but no one is banning the passage of aircraft over its airspace due to the above. 

Wrong - and misleading. Of course every country can block the airspace over its soil; has happened many times already. So Ukraine could block its airspace for Russian planes (specifically war planes) just that they cannot enforce this. That's why they have been asking UK and Germany for help - and both declined knowing that at the very moment they shoot down a Russian war plane this will open the flood gate to WW III.

But regarding their own territories, no Russian plane is allowed to fly over the Germany and the EU and UK (the latter also prohibiting Russian ships to harbour in UK).

That's why the Russian minister of Foreign Affairs, Lawrow, couldn't fly to Geneva yesterday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stardust said:

Most of them are in Europe and their accounts are frozen and they will now also seizing their yachts, gold assets and villas. Today news in France.

This invasion was planned, it must have been planned for years as the Russian government increased its reserves including gold, I am sure they would also have planned and moved their money elsewhere.

Maybe when the French etc take the money from the accounts there will be a little note on the account, "I have left you 3 euros, go buy yourself a coffee, luv Ivan". 😃

22 minutes ago, Fundok said:

Wrong - and misleading. Of course every country can block the airspace over its soil; has happened many times already. So Ukraine could block its airspace for Russian planes (specifically war planes) just that they cannot enforce this. That's why they have been asking UK and Germany for help - and both declined knowing that at the very moment they shoot down a Russian war plane this will open the flood gate to WW III.

But regarding their own territories, no Russian plane is allowed to fly over the Germany and the EU and UK (the latter also prohibiting Russian ships to harbour in UK).

That's why the Russian minister of Foreign Affairs, Lawrow, couldn't fly to Geneva yesterday.

You first paragraph is what I said but you have just moved the words around a bit.

No one is willing to enforce it, no one will be willing to shoot down commercial aeroplanes, hence the airspace above any country in the world has in affect not been closed to the Russians.

Saying something and actually doing it are too different things.

Russia has closed its airspace to many countries too, I am not sure how they will react when a banned plane enter its airspace.

Plus see what the Russians do with their gas supplies to the West.

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

James, You are changing the topic to suit your agenda. You claimed no one in the west complained.  Can you defend your initial comment or respect yourself and concede you made an erroneous comment. 

What I said was the following (see below), I can't see where it says,"You claimed no one in the west complained."

-------------

"It is funny reading all the moans and complaints about this topic regarding the lack of reaction towards the Russians by Thailand.

The farangs complaining have been quite silent for years on what is happening to other countries around the world where private citizens are being killed by soldiers.

But now because the Russians are up to no good which directly affects them they think the rest of the world should help. 

How selfish."

-------------

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JamesR said:

You first paragraph is what I said but you have just moved the words around a bit.

No one is willing to enforce it, no one will be willing to shoot down commercial aeroplanes, hence the airspace above any country in the world has in affect not been closed to the Russians.

Russia has closed its airspace to many countries too, I am not sure how they will react when a banned plane enter its airspace.

I am afraid you know little about air traffic. Planes cannot Just take off and fly to whereever. Air traffic control ist in place, even fees need to be paid for using the countries air space. And ultimately the air force can send fighter planes to force any commercial plane to land and stop the intrusion. Shooting down the plane would be the ultimate consequence, but do you really think that the captain of an airplane with passengers will disobey the orders of a fighter plane and risk their lives?

No commercial airline will put its planes and passengers at risk and will not fly in prohibited air space.

As with Ukraine, Russia as agressor has violated not only the Ukrainian air space but also its territorial integrity. Others than with NATO countries and Russia, Ukraine does not have a functioning air force anymore to protect its air space. Entering blocked air space will inevitably lead to swift action by the respective air force. In this, NATO countries and Russia will react pretty much the same.

This invasion was planned, it must have been planned for years as the Russian government increased its reserves including gold, I am sure they would also have planned and moved their money elsewhere.

Maybe when the French etc take the money from the accounts there will be a little note on the account, "I have left you 3 euros, go buy yourself a coffee, luv Ivan". 😃

The invasion plans were not public, so how could they possibly have prepared? If you are an oligarch and own a prime piece of real estate you can't sell this on short term. Most importantly, Russia was caught by surprise given the swiftness and severity of the sanctions.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Stonker said:

But what about the far worse "atrocities" elsewhere that the West has done nothing about?

Don't they matter as much?

Of course they matter. But that doesn't mean that what is happening in the Ukraine do not matter. I'm all for similar sanctions against China because of what they are doing to the Uyghur people amongst others. And their are others of course but just because those things are not happening right now doesn't mean we should not take action against Russia. 

• Like 3

To the actual topic at hand though, I'm sure we can all be fairly cynical at the timing of the sister city proposal.

Phuket should not be considering this right now, if at all. Nothing good can come of it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JamesR said:

The farangs complaining have been quite silent for years on what is happening to other countries around the world where private citizens are being killed by soldiers.

Yes James. This is the section I referred to. You are stating that “farangs” have been silent for years on what is happening to other countries where citizens are being killed by soldiers. What conflicts are you referring to where “Farangs” have been silent? Which ones are you referring to and when you say Farangs, who do you mean? 

The reason I’m highlighting this is that you say Farangs are silent and then go on to say that speaking up or writing about conflicts like Ukraine is a waste of time. I’m not sure what action you would want the Farangs to undertake and how this compares to the stance of Thailand where they haven’t even criticised the move by Russia. Are you criticising Farangs for speaking up and supporting Thailand for saying nothing? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Yes James. This is the section I referred to. You are stating that “farangs” have been silent for years on what is happening to other countries where citizens are being killed by soldiers. What conflicts are you referring to where “Farangs” have been silent? Which ones are you referring to and when you say Farangs, who do you mean? 

The reason I’m highlighting this is that you say Farangs are silent and then go on to say that speaking up or writing about conflicts like Ukraine is a waste of time. I’m not sure what action you would want the Farangs to undertake and how this compares to the stance of Thailand where they haven’t even criticised the move by Russia. Are you criticising Farangs for speaking up and supporting Thailand for saying nothing? 

My fault.

My initial comment was meant to be about the farangs on this site moaning and complaining about the lack of commitment Thailand is offering to the Ukraine. 

It is just another excuse for the “Thai bashers” to complain. 

We in the West only stand up for what affects us directly so why shouldn’t Thailand and other countries around the world do the same. 

I only use the word farang on this site as I am annoyed sometimes with the blanket criticism some people have about the Thais and how they see them as a single unit having no individual personalities. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JamesR said:

I suggest staying away from rough bars, many rough people go to rough bars including rough Russians so it may bias your experiences of tourists in Thailand. 

It wasn't rough bar, I'd been going there for a week, it was a drunken scumbag in a normal bar.

59 minutes ago, JamesR said:

It is just another excuse for the “Thai bashers” to complain. 

I read this from a number of members and I must admit I’m confused by the approach. Maybe I’m wrong in what I’m about to say, but it’s simply my opinion:

I mainly use this forum to catch up on news and read what others opinions are of the news. I rarely dip in to other sections except for some specifics relating to visa’s. Much of the news on here, as with most news outlets, tends to report on negative aspect of life. It’s a fact that good news doesn’t seem to travel as well as bad. As a result, many of the comments reflect the negative aspects of the news. 

Articles about the Thailand pass. Accidents and fatalities on the roads. Officials involved in corruption. All of these are negative and about Thailand. This will naturally result in people criticising the Thailand Pass or calling out the appalling road deaths or condemning the high levels of corruption. I’m not sure what else to expect?

However, there are a group of people who seem to see it as an obligation to defend the indefensible. To always compare the story, or comments, to what goes on in the US or other Western countries. Why?  This forum is about Thailand. If it was a US forum I’m sure the same people would criticise the high gun crimes, or the difficulties in getting a work permits, or the way migrants from Mexico are treated etc etc. Why do people feel the need to defend aspects of life in Thailand which need improving? Nearly all the things people complain about would be the same complaints Thais would make. If your house is untidy, it’s of little excuse saying it’s not as untidy as next doors. Your house still needs to be cleaned up!

• Like 4

11 hours ago, JamesR said:

Try to test them. Nowaday they can find all their assets you always leave traces. To think as an adult they are not professional but able to cut the swift is astouning. And your level of information I could see on your claims on the airspace ban. By the way they detected all in France and in the maledives including their yachts. And as we could read in yesterday they go for all their assets, yachts, villas, money, gold assets, crypto, etc. Go a ahead test it!

14 hours ago, JamesR said:

Do you realise there are two hundred countries in the world who are mostly ignoring what is going on in the Ukraine?

You are either a fool or a member of the Putin propaganda machine or both….any proof of your baseless comments? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JamesR said:

It is inforced stop your misinformation campaigns!

https://www.reuters.com/business/airspace-closures-after-ukraine-invasion-stretch-global-supply-chains-2022-03-01/

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-business-united-states-europe-european-union-d034973a8aa56b514b4d1bdafbc4752b

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Insurgent said:

You are either a fool or a member of the Putin propaganda machine or both….any proof of your baseless comments? 

We could see who are the allies of these posters. The 200 he referring is North Korea and Eritrea. He is definetly a misinformation campaigner.

• Like 1