News Forum - Asia News Today | Asian countries start ramping up pressure on Russia

Thaiger

Asia-Pacific market have risen today as investors navigated the changing situation in Russia and Ukraine.Japan’s Nikkei 225 gained 1.4%. The S&P 200 in Australia was up 1.2%. In South Korea markets are closed for a holiday today. Chinese tech giant Baidu is also expected to announce its fourth-quarter results today…. pundits are expecting a softer Q4 than expected.China’s official manufacturing Purchasing Managers’ Index will also be released today. US West Texas Intermediate crude oil futures rose slightly to just over US$96 per barrel in Asia trade.Spot gold, traditionally a safe haven in times of uncertainty, was trading around US$1,907. Toyota […]

The story Asia News Today | Asian countries start ramping up pressure on Russia as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

As I predicted: it doesn't even need a closure of the Thai airspace for Russian airplanes to bring tourism from there to a halt. The Russian ruble lost 40% of its value against the USD yesterday, and with only restricted access to SWIFT, Russian bank and credit cards are unlikely to work outside Russia. My expectation is that the number of tourists from Russia will fall to close to zero in no time even w/o Thailand imposing restrictions, simply because Russians will have no access to money spend and the exchange rate for THB:ruble is likely to further deteriorate, so holidays in Thailand will be substantially more expensive.

Hard to imagine that tourists from KSA will be able to compensate for this group of tourists suddenly not coming to Thailand anymore.

• Like 1

Not so certain about that. Lots of tourists, these days, are using money changer, cash. Russians, for quiete some time, come often with Euros or US$ in there wallets.

Thais dont like russians  not many do   and its for their behavour anywhere they are  -rude.   violent stupid  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bifrost said:

Thais dont like russians  not many do   and its for their behavour anywhere they are  -rude.   violent stupid  

Oh look, a Sociologist! A new occupation for the TT massive!😁

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Guest1 said:

Not so certain about that. Lots of tourists, these days, are using money changer, cash. Russians, for quiete some time, come often with Euros or US$ in there wallets.

I was getting money out of an ATM next to a money exchange today..I could hear that they would not take ruble.. the guy asked where he could change rubles  and was told try a large bank in central phuket.. but she said most exchanges will not take now..

11 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

I was getting money out of an ATM next to a money exchange today..I could hear that they would not take ruble.. the guy asked where he could change rubles  and was told try a large bank in central phuket.. but she said most exchanges will not take now..

But that was already the reason, some years ago, that Russians came often with GBP/US/EURO. and no exchange both likes to take currencies, which can be 5% less valuable before THEY even can exchange it in a bank branch ;-) 

But it seems that a lot Russians got surprised about it.  Bad planning in these times, methinks. But they still have a country with airfields to fly back too!

• Like 1

well Russian .....  Investors ( just using a politically correct word here in short mafia ) ........ will certainly find a way to keep on business in Thailand. Excepted if Thai gov decide to follow the other country and ban all these dudes which have invaded this country since sometimes now.

• Like 1

Just now, pascal said:

well Russian .....  Investors ( just using a politically correct word here in short mafia ) ........ will certainly find a way to keep on business in Thailand. Excepted if Thai gov decide to follow the other country and ban all these dudes which have invaded this country since sometimes now.

might have some Ukrainians as well i guess .......

Oh, I just had an idea, I checked western Union 

What can I say, at least they would give me a quote for sending money from Thailand to Russia. Which makes me think, they would also still do it vice versa. (US is asking for sanctions, but just not everyone?) That makes it even more expensive, but they may still  get money, if they need another option.

6 hours ago, Bifrost said:

Sounds they're in line with americans and aussies, brits. They , too fit the mold.

• Haha 1

The witchhunt has just begun. I have several Russian and Ukrainian Neighbors that all work as Doktors or medical staff here. None of them had any grudges against each other , till now. Now the russian staff cannot send or receive money from their family, employer etc. anymore because of cut off Swift. Parallel to that the Rubel's value is making a nosedive. All not their fault, thei're just ordinary people. But now the western world seems to be too happy to hit all of them real hard which to me looks like another Inquisition. Have we all lost our mind ? Europe is on the trajectory to go to war with Russia with the Elefant in the Room rubbing his hand while seeing his long term powerplay falling in line with the long term goals of dominating the entire globe.

This war is a piece of *Word removed* and deserves the full condemnation but why on earth do we not experience the same uproar when Israel kills Palestinians on a daily base while stealing their land since more than 70 years ? On top of that Israel is a country that harbors illegal nuclear weapons. Hello IAEA ? Where are you ?

Edited by Faraday
Bad language
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Guest1 said:

Oh, I just had an idea, I checked western Union 

What can I say, at least they would give me a quote for sending money from Thailand to Russia. Which makes me think, they would also still do it vice versa. (US is asking for sanctions, but just not everyone?) That makes it even more expensive, but they may still  get money, if they need another option.

Opsi. I might be wrong with that. Western Union may just not have set up there website like wise did. Wise is telling "not to/from Russia", WU perhaps is doing that later on in the process?

1 hour ago, CamPat said:

The witchhunt has just begun. I have several Russian and Ukrainian Neighbors that all work as Doktors or medical staff here. None of them had any grudges against each other , till now. Now the russian staff cannot send or receive money from their family, employer etc. anymore because of cut off Swift. Parallel to that the Rubel's value is making a nosedive. All not their fault, thei're just ordinary people. But now the western world seems to be too happy to hit all of them real hard which to me looks like another Inquisition. Have we all lost our mind ? Europe is on the trajectory to go to war with Russia with the Elefant in the Room rubbing his hand while seeing his long term powerplay falling in line with the long term goals of dominating the entire globe.

This war is a piece of shit and deserves the full condemnation but why on earth do we not experience the same uproar when Israel kills Palestinians on a daily base while stealing their land since more than 70 years ? On top of that Israel is a country that harbors illegal nuclear weapons. Hello IAEA ? Where are you ?

In war times, collective responsibility becomes a VERY political correct thing.  A thing that usually is not allowed, anymore. But it is war, isn't it?

2 hours ago, CamPat said:

Sounds they're in line with americans and aussies, brits. They , too fit the mold.

It is such a stupid comment, as a Brit I will just laugh. 🤣

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Insurgent said:

Come on Thailand grow a spine and condemn the actions of Putin the clown.  

Why haven't you (or anyone else, as it's not just 'you')  been saying the same thing about the Yemen? Syria? a swathe of Africa?

Just wondering ... 

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

Why haven't you (or anyone else, as it's not just 'you')  been saying the same thing about the Yemen? Syria? a swathe of Africa?

Just wondering ... 

It is due to self interests, it does not affect us ''so who cares'' is the general attitude amongst countries. 

16 hours ago, Bifrost said:

They just like their money😀

8 hours ago, JamesR said:

It is due to self interests, it does not affect us ''so who cares'' is the general attitude amongst countries. 

So how does the Ukraine "affect us" apart from morally - particularly as similar events don't appear to elsewhere, from the Yemen to central Africa and everywhere in between where they don't look like "us"?

Edit: by 'in between', like the Gambia, Syria, Somalia, Lebanon, Congo, Haiti, Rwanda, Grenada, Uganda, Tanzania, Ethiopia, East Timor, and Sikkim, although Cyprus did get a limited response.

22 hours ago, Fundok said:

As I predicted: it doesn't even need a closure of the Thai airspace for Russian airplanes to bring tourism from there to a halt. The Russian ruble lost 40% of its value against the USD yesterday, and with only restricted access to SWIFT, Russian bank and credit cards are unlikely to work outside Russia. My expectation is that the number of tourists from Russia will fall to close to zero in no time even w/o Thailand imposing restrictions, simply because Russians will have no access to money spend and the exchange rate for THB:ruble is likely to further deteriorate, so holidays in Thailand will be substantially more expensive.

Hard to imagine that tourists from KSA will be able to compensate for this group of tourists suddenly not coming to Thailand anymore.

It needed one day til the biggest bank of Russia (Sberbank) and their daughterbanks were bankrott after they cut them off. Interfere with world in that impossible, it would need 1 hour and Thailand would be bankrupt. 

22 hours ago, Guest1 said:

Exchange for us and euro is already down. Maybe you have to understan how the currency change works and when they froze all reserves from the central bank and cut them of from currency exchange. Guessing, believing means not knowing. For sure sombody need a minimum of understand in finance systems, to understand what they write in the news.

14 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Exchange for us and euro is already down. Maybe you have to understan how the currency change works and when they froze all reserves from the central bank and cut them of from currency exchange. Guessing, believing means not knowing. For sure sombody need a minimum of understand in finance systems, to understand what they write in the news.

It is also astouning that some til today still not understand the swift, some posters even think it is just for travelling. Without swift they cannot buy or sell, not import or export, no trading.

13 minutes ago, Stardust said:

It is also astouning that some til today still not understand the swift, some posters even think it is just for travelling. Without swift they cannot buy or sell, not import or export, no trading.

Thanks god, that we have you, who knows all about everything and is enlightening us. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-03-01/eu-agrees-to-block-russian-banks-from-swift-sparing-key-firms 

You are german, if I understand some of your posts right?

That explains the outstanding knowledge in all fields, methinks

• Like 2
  • Haha 1