News Forum - Bangkok police allegedly shoots and kills colleague on accident while drunk

Thaiger

A 50 year old police officer was shot to death at a police station in Bangkok, allegedly by his close colleague who was reportedly drunk and showing off his new guns. A senior police officer told Thai media that the officers were not on duty or in uniform were the shooting occurred. The off-duty officers were lounging an office at a meeting room of the Dusit Police Station when one officer, Chaiwat, walked in, appearing to be drunk. Chaiwat started showing off his two new guns – a .22 Luger rifle and a 9-millimetre Taurus pistol. Reports say the officers […]

The story Bangkok police allegedly shoots and kills colleague on accident while drunk as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

12 minutes ago, Bkktodd said:

You couldnt make this up 

It's no excuse, but it happens with every country - without pointing the finger, probably and sadly a lot more often than you think.

• Like 1

Well he really showed his guns off to the extreme and yes the one works quite well. Now why in the heck would it be loaded if he just bought them and was off duty. Is this normal gun safety 101 for the police here? 

The key issue here is that the policeman was drunk and carrying a service weapon. Mistakes with police firearms do occur in many countries. However this is often due to accidental discharge in pressured situations. Officers caught in crossfire. It rarely happens because the police (I use the term broadly) is pissed and behaving totally irresponsibly. In any normal country he would be arrested, sent to trial and serve time along with loss of his job. Here he will  most likely be moved to some new police station to carry on with his irresponsible attitude. You literally could not make it up. 

Everyone knows there's at least 4 shootouts between police every year in Thailand, this is no different except they're trying to cover it up again.

Last time it was a shootout at a illegal gambling den, before that on a train and before that at several bars, everytime, involving police shooting police.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

The key issue here is that the policeman was drunk and carrying a service weapon. Mistakes with police firearms do occur in many countries. However this is often due to accidental discharge in pressured situations. Officers caught in crossfire. It rarely happens because the police (I use the term broadly) is pissed and behaving totally irresponsibly. In any normal country he would be arrested, sent to trial and serve time along with loss of his job. Here he will  most likely be moved to some new police station to carry on with his irresponsible attitude. You literally could not make it up. 

Extremely unlikely he'll just be moved to another station as that's never happened before under those circumstances - if you think it has, give any link as otherwise this is based on nothing but pure fantasy.

... and "mistakes" like this happen on a regular basis everywhere where uniformed personnel, police and military, carry firearms on a full time basis with your (our) country being no exception and prison sentences usually being low single figures.

Quite prepared to give links and specifics if you want (RAF Reg and 2 Lancs are obvious examples, but there are countless).

That doesn't excuse it in any way but the idea that this doesn't happen "in any normal country" with any different consequences is totally untrue.

53 minutes ago, SSimpson said:

Now I've had time to digest the full story, it may have been as innocent as a desk pop that ricocheted?

Quite possibly - as yet nobody knows.

2 hours ago, Bangkok said:

Everyone knows there's at least 4 shootouts between police every year in Thailand, this is no different except they're trying to cover it up again.

Last time it was a shootout at a illegal gambling den, before that on a train and before that at several bars, everytime, involving police shooting police.

Really?

I didn't know everyone knew - how does everyone find out?

11 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Extremely unlikely he'll just be moved to another station as that's never happened before under those circumstances - if you think it has, give any link as otherwise this is based on nothing but pure fantasy.

... and "mistakes" like this happen on a regular basis everywhere where uniformed personnel, police and military, carry firearms on a full time basis with your (our) country being no exception and prison sentences usually being low single figures.

Quite prepared to give links and specifics if you want (RAF Reg and 2 Lancs are obvious examples, but there are countless).

That doesn't excuse it in any way but the idea that this doesn't happen "in any normal country" with any different consequences is totally untrue.

The guy was drunk. That’s the point. I didn’t dispute there are cases of accidental discharge in other countries, my own (ours) included. But it’s not due to drunken behaviour. I have seen some very dangerous situations with armed police drunk in Thailand. I was in a bar in Bangkok and four police were in full uniform (shirt buttons loosened) fully armed and drinking whisky while playing pool. Tempers appeared to be getting short for some reason and I decided it was time to leave. I simply don’t know how you can even start to excuse this behaviour and find it unfathomable you try to draw comparisons with this behaviour and UK police. 

31 minutes ago, Soidog said:

The guy was drunk. That’s the point. I didn’t dispute there are cases of accidental discharge in other countries, my own (ours) included. But it’s not due to drunken behaviour. I have seen some very dangerous situations with armed police drunk in Thailand. I was in a bar in Bangkok and four police were in full uniform (shirt buttons loosened) fully armed and drinking whisky while playing pool. Tempers appeared to be getting short for some reason and I decided it was time to leave. I simply don’t know how you can even start to excuse this behaviour and find it unfathomable you try to draw comparisons with this behaviour and UK police. 

I'm not excusing it - I had thought that was clear when I said "that doesn't excuse it in any way", but evidently not.

Unfortunately the comparable incidents are invariably due to those involved "behaving totally responsibly" and the incidents are very well documented.

If you have nothing to support your previous claim that he'll "most likely be moved to some new police station to carry on with his irresponsible attitude" and instead you want to talk about some police playing pool off duty in a bar in Bangkok which has no possible connection with the topic in order to distract from that and to derail yet another thread, then don't look to me for help.