News Forum - Bangkok bridge collapses, officials say mistake made during construction

Thaiger

A 50-metre bridge in Bangkok collapsed over the weekend, reportedly due to mistakes made by the construction team that affected the structure. The collapse on Udomsuk road impacted traffic as well as the water tap system in the area. No accidents and losses were reported, and it was expected to be repaired within one month. The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration Secretary Khajit Chatchawanich says he suspects a worker may have put a drill in the wrong spot, letting water into the structure. The construction company tried to seal up the structure with Pu foam, but the structure couldn’t bear the pressure and […]

The story Bangkok bridge collapses, officials say mistake made during construction as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Just make me laugh you can have a error in construction that happen everywhere but blame the guy for dril a small hole this mean every one with a accu drill can destroy a bridge by drilling one small hole 

• Like 1

From the looks of it I'd say unexpected / unanticipated water erosion contributed significantly to the collapse. As Bangkok confines to sink expect more of this.

5 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

I really expected more from the local Thai Basher. They must be busy discussing their roles (or lack of) in world order.

2. The forum values and welcomes differing opinions within our Guidelines. So, it is likely you will come across opinions you do not agree with! It is fine to disagree with and challenge opinions, ideas, and facts. Attacking another member because their opinion differs, is not.

Polyurethane foam or as my Thai's call it "Poly" is the expanding foam used in form packaging. Bought in smaller cans it is used to seal small holes or cracks. However, it was never intended to seal a water main that was dilled into. I think this may be the same fellow who assembled the Jaguar that burst into flames. 

17 hours ago, Thaiger said:

A 50-metre bridge in Bangkok collapsed over the weekend, reportedly due to mistakes made by the construction team that affected the structure. The collapse on Udomsuk road impacted traffic as well as the water tap system in the area. No accidents and losses were reported, and it was expected to be repaired within one month. The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration Secretary Khajit Chatchawanich says he suspects a worker may have put a drill in the wrong spot, letting water into the structure. The construction company tried to seal up the structure with Pu foam, but the structure couldn’t bear the pressure and […]

The story Bangkok bridge collapses, officials say mistake made during construction as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Quite common in construction industry. However, should rectify and inspect before going operational. Good that there are no casualties

Something to think about when you buy a condo here. Bring your construction engineer team to assess the building before you sign the contract.

20 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Repaired within a month?

Aye right.

Though about that, too.

Thinking, right now, about the collapsing roads, in Phuket.

Where after years no one "finds the budget", to repair them

3 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

Though about that, too.

Thinking, right now, about the collapsing roads, in Phuket.

Where after years no one "finds the budget", to repair them

Oh I suspect a budget is always found.

It just doesn't get used on the road or bridge in question.

• Haha 2