News Forum - Rural Thai doctors report shortage of Covid-19 medicine Favipiravir

Thaiger

After an annoyed Public Health Ministry secretary warned patients on Thursday that the medicine Favipiravir is “not a snack“, Thailand’s Rural Doctor Society now complains of a shortage of it. Favipiravir is an anti-viral drug given to Covid-19 patients, but the secretary said last week that there was a misunderstanding that every Covid-19 patient had to take it. He said this was because the government used to provide it a lot in the past. Now, the RDS says several rural hospitals and community isolation centres have a shortage of Favipiravir following the spread of the Omicron variant. The society said […]

The story Rural Thai doctors report shortage of Covid-19 medicine Favipiravir as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Not the only thing they are running short of, no beds anywhere our way, hospitals full, field hospitals and resort isolation all full.

Some Thais also seem to treat anti biotics etc as essential for any minor ailment, sore throat need anti biotics, have a cough, take a pill, but when they do have a true infection getting them to take a full course of anti biotics is near impossible.

• Like 1

I am not surprised. My friend was diagnosed with covid 10 as ago. Just sour throuth an fever. As healty one who got 2 Moderna vaccines, she was put on a heavy dose of Faviparivir for 10 days and house arest. After that, she can’t leave the village for another 10 day

Too much scaremongering in the past by an absolutely incompetent government has led to the utter mess the country is in, why set up clinics etc. to still force people into hospital  / hospitel confinement when all they need to do is self isolate at home for a few day's. When is this garbage going to finish, waken up people, the rest of the world is open and operational, where is Thailand on that graph ? 555

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Graham said:

Too much scaremongering in the past by an absolutely incompetent government has led to the utter mess the country is in, why set up clinics etc. to still force people into hospital  / hospitel confinement when all they need to do is self isolate at home for a few day's. When is this garbage going to finish, waken up people, the rest of the world is open and operational, where is Thailand on that graph ? 555

Ooooh look! A bit more Thai bashing from the Thai Basher in-chief. 😀

they can replace this drug with sugar to cure COVID.

Studies say that this drug is ineffective against this disease. (Saudi Arabia double-blind randomized study against placebo)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Graham said:

Well maybe people already do exactly that...that is what we do here. Quite of a few of us (most probably most of us by now??) got it the last few weeks, including  myself. If we get symptoms ( cold / flu-ish symptoms), we do an ATK test (I did 2 to be sure), if positive we stay home and take the usual stuff if needed for pain, fever and anything to boost the immune system a little (isn't it what we, surely I, have done our whole lives???). Some days later once symptoms are gone, we do another test (and for the Thai bashing aficionados, the Thais are much stricter on that one than farangs in my opinion) and if or when negative, off you go. I do not know a single person who's ended up badly ill in hospital, never mind dying.

Sadly interesting, suddenly the C. word has completely disapeared off the maintream media in the Western world. It is a shame, a pity and in my opinion, a scandal that it took a war for it but then it shows the reality of this madness of constant fear propaganda that stops abruptly when a real danger comes up, suddenly the other one is gone - it tells you that it could not have been that bad.

On the positive note, I watched a Rugby match on Saturday and what a joy to see a stadium in Scotland with over 80 000 people with (almost...the fear will stay for a while for some of us) no mask on as "normal". It is over now, let's live in normality with that one more disease amongst others and move on. One thing for sure, we do not need any state to force us to do as they assume fit in order to control our health (decisions for a long time now mostly political rather than based on science), we can do that by ourselves. It is our own health and personally, I surely do not need a law that forces me to wear a stupid mask at all time ourdoors etc... to take care of my own heatlh and other's.