News Forum - The west weaponises SWIFT as it ramps up sanctions against Russia

Thaiger

13 hours ago, Noble_Design said:

Really? But according to @Stardust that's not the case... are you reading those Russian RT news 🤣🤪😄? You should only be watching European news:

I really wondering about your sources because gazprom bank was even on the first round of sanctions on the list from the USA

https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/jy0608

And also is listed in EU Sanctions

On 2/27/2022 at 12:15 PM, garyw007 said:

Are their credit cards now

Not yet. But Visa and MasterCard are being lobbied to end all suppprt for credit card transactions using cards issued by Russian banks 

Even on BBC now that there are problems getting money in Russia, also with credit cards.

Sorry, can’t post a link as I just have my iPad with me and don’t know how to get the URL link. But just check BBC

3 hours ago, Noble_Design said:

They have enough reserves to do it immediately BUT have they do it? Why don't they do it immediately? 

Yes also Von der Leyen EU organized new suppliers for the EU not only Germany. Everybody was wondering why there were still deliveries from Russia because this anouncement was already a few days ago.

2 hours ago, longwood50 said:

If you really want to cripple Russia you do it by shutting off really its only source of funds, oil/gas.  Russia is basically a big gas station that pumps oil and gas to Europe and receives hard currency in return.  If the West can ever coordinate and agree on a combined strategy to break the European dependence on Russian energy, Russia will collapse with no means to support it military and other programs. 

That comes with a risk as well.  There is no more dangerous animal than one who feels cornered and with nothing to lose.  Russia is really a third world country with a nuclear capability.  

This decicion they did already and the different stages/timelines of the sanctions

https://www.offshore-technology.com/news/risks-to-energy-markets-as-swift-ban-against-russia-goes-ahead/

1 minute ago, Stardust said:

This decicion they did already and the different stages/timelines of the sanctions

https://www.offshore-technology.com/news/risks-to-energy-markets-as-swift-ban-against-russia-goes-ahead/

I was looking for the sunday session from the government in Germany where it was explained very well but I didn't found a english version of it , so I took this one but not with the stages explained like they did in the session.

On 2/28/2022 at 5:17 AM, AndyCousins said:

Join the club...  ban Russisn flights...

You know it makes sence...

Join the club... keep Russian oil&gas...  You know it makes money...

Edited by Thaidup
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stardust said:

Yes but does the resolve last after what the perceived crisis passes.  Europe saw very clearly it was putting itself in harms way by depending on Russia for its energy needs but did it anyway. 

7 minutes ago, longwood50 said:

Yes but does the resolve last after what the perceived crisis passes.  Europe saw very clearly it was putting itself in harms way by depending on Russia for its energy needs but did it anyway. 

And the big question will Hunter Biden get his salary this month?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stardust said:

You cannot fight a battle in installments, if the EU is serious with Russia they should stop the flow of oil and gas immediately. You don't tell your adversary Ok I'm going to fight with you a little bit this month and then continue a little bit next month and so on and so on.

Look at this example from Malaysia, totally stop the Russian oil tanker from docking. No means no. Not wishy washy I will sanction your banks but I will still keep buying oil and gas from you.

https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2022/03/776030/russian-flagged-crude-oil-tanker-barred-docking-kuala-linggi

10 hours ago, Freeduhdumb said:

What we are now seeing unfold is Russia dealing with this problem that has arrived on their doorstep.

Pretending what you wrote makes sense, Russia's solution is to bring NATO even close to it's doorstep? In occupying's Ukraine, Russia will in fact be increasing it's border with NATO by a factor of 10x. In what world does that make sense? Keeping in mind Ukraine doesn't now and would never qualify for inclusion in NATO. To a rational person, Russia is doing the opposite of what you claim is needed for their security.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

In occupying's Ukraine, Russia will in fact be increasing it's border with NATO by a factor of 10x.

It is about the same border length like if Ukraine would , one day, become NATO. Just 1000km further away from Moscow. So for Putin not really a factor, but more safe! 

Think about how the Warsaw pact has worked and look at it from the Russian/Putin perspective: A belt around Russian soil. Ukraine would, if goes as planed, still not be Russia. On top, the west would approximately  see Ukraine as the conquered country it would be. A hostage. win/win for Putin. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Guest1 said:

It is about the same border length like if Ukraine would , one day, become NATO.

True, except for the fact Ukraine can't and would never have become a NATO member. As long as Russia sits in Crimea, Ukraine will never qualify (and we all know Russia is never leaving). I get the rational, and from that point of view it does make sense. However you have to suspend reality to get from here to there.  

I get the idea of wanting a buffer between Russia and NATO, or at the very least not letting NATO get that close to Russia. Still at the same time NATO was a dying institution. The US had mostly left, France was trying to replace it with something weaker and smaller, and Germany had check out. Now everyone is massively rearming, Germany has set up a $100B Euro fund to be spent this year to jump start the process. In addition to that, they plan to spend over 2% of it's GDP each year going forward. Something at least 3 US presidents couldn't get them to do even though they had in fact promise to do so (keeping in mind when this new German government took office, they actually disavowed that requirement). Germany this year alone will spend almost three times what Russia spends annually, and they will spend more every year going forward. They are even talking mandatory conscription now. The idea of a remilitarized Germany should make everyone sit up and take notice. We are not even talking about what the nations closer to Russia are doing. If the idea is to make Russia safer, they have a funny way of doing it.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EdwardV said:

Germany has set up a $100B Euro fund to be spent this year to jump start the process. In addition to that, they plan to spend over 2% of it's GDP each year going forward.

Just like a very popular American told them to do a few years ago (that Man was a visionary).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, longwood50 said:

Northstream is officially bankrupt

8 hours ago, EdwardV said:

True, except for the fact Ukraine can't and would never have become a NATO member. As long as Russia sits in Crimea, Ukraine will never qualify (and we all know Russia is never leaving). I get the rational, and from that point of view it does make sense. However you have to suspend reality to get from here to there.  

I get the idea of wanting a buffer between Russia and NATO, or at the very least not letting NATO get that close to Russia. Still at the same time NATO was a dying institution. The US had mostly left, France was trying to replace it with something weaker and smaller, and Germany had check out. Now everyone is massively rearming, Germany has set up a $100B Euro fund to be spent this year to jump start the process. In addition to that, they plan to spend over 2% of it's GDP each year going forward. Something at least 3 US presidents couldn't get them to do even though they had in fact promise to do so (keeping in mind when this new German government took office, they actually disavowed that requirement). Germany this year alone will spend almost three times what Russia spends annually, and they will spend more every year going forward. They are even talking mandatory conscription now. The idea of a remilitarized Germany should make everyone sit up and take notice. We are not even talking about what the nations closer to Russia are doing. If the idea is to make Russia safer, they have a funny way of doing it.   

My generation had to serve by mandate, it was til 2011 by mandate. They already discussing because of Russia to install it again.

10 hours ago, Noble_Design said:

You cannot fight a battle in installments, if the EU is serious with Russia they should stop the flow of oil and gas immediately. You don't tell your adversary Ok I'm going to fight with you a little bit this month and then continue a little bit next month and so on and so on.

Look at this example from Malaysia, totally stop the Russian oil tanker from docking. No means no. Not wishy washy I will sanction your banks but I will still keep buying oil and gas from you.

https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2022/03/776030/russian-flagged-crude-oil-tanker-barred-docking-kuala-linggi

Sure the world must stand united against the agressor Putin. Yes well done Malaysia, respect.

21 hours ago, longwood50 said:

That comes with a risk as well.  There is no more dangerous animal than one who feels cornered and with nothing to lose.  Russia is really a third world country with a nuclear capability.  

Wise words indeed. The diplomatic way out of this is to find a way for Putin to save face and stop the war. The strategy you speak of should then be developed over time. The West and other free and democratic countries across the world made significant mistakes in the early 1990’s. We assumed that with the fall of the Soviet Union and the opening up of China, that somehow they had decided to follow a path of democracy, observing the rights and freedom of its people. Nothing could be further from the truth. History may well see this period as a time when free and democratic countries finally started to tackle these corrupt leaders. Be clear that I’m referring to the small minority of powerful and influential people in Russia and China. Not your average citizen who simply wish to build a future for their families and see the wealth of those nation used fairly. 

• Like 4

Putin appears to be shifting to a brute force war of attrition, mounting civilian body count meant to pressure and persuade Zelensky to surrender, or until he's killed in one of the bombardments.

Small bright spot is fuzzy reports of more pin prick attacks on the stalled column of Russian vehicles/tracks outside Kyiv.  Re-supply of arms and ammo into Ukraine ought to be getting forward now, supporting small unit hit teams.  US/CIA trainers got Afghan cavemen snapped in on MANPADs with basic instruction on fundamentals, to great effect against the Soviets.  With this kind of kit flowing in, returning Ukrainians and some number of foreign volunteers, is a force multiplier for small unit tactics.

However, I've still got a niggling feeling that the Northern incursion, is a bit of a distraction, while Putin's real intent is down South, linking the Eastern provinces, Crimea, and the crown jewel Black Sea real estate, and then get a North/South line wherever he can in negotiated settlement.   Bright spot was the snippet of news about Ukrainian forces whacking the #2 Russian General in charge down there, and a couple more senior occifers as well.  

Vice News put up a 22 minute video yesterday, a lot of it from down South.  I like the segment starting at the 16:20 mark where the old boy says, "I'm taking up bar tending at 74 years old.  We have some guests who want to visit, and of course we want to welcome them with a strong drink!", as he assembles an arsenal of Molitov cocktails.  Wicked gallows humor!  😬

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk5DgCwdTCw

• 2 weeks later...

Ukraine is a beautiful country with wonderful people. I personally became convinced of this after my trip to Chernobyl last year. I have never experienced anything like it in my life. Wonderful people who accepted me as their own. I met them on chernobylforum.com and even without knowing me well, I received the warmest possible welcome. I fell in love with this country and I am glad that the whole civilized world stood up for this beautiful country

38 minutes ago, arnoldcarter said:

Ukraine is a beautiful country with wonderful people. I personally became convinced of this after my trip to Chernobyl last year. I have never experienced anything like it in my life. Wonderful people who accepted me as their own. I met them on chernobylforum.com and even without knowing me well, I received the warmest possible welcome. I fell in love with this country and I am glad that the whole civilized world stood up for this beautiful country

Glowing praise, indeed, @arnoldcarter, that I'm sure many thousand Ukrainians would find supportive, right now. Your debut post, too, so thanks for that and welcome to the forum!