News Forum - Thailand vehicle exports affected by chip shortage, Russia-Ukraine conflict

Thaiger

The Automotive Industry Club reported a decline in Thailand car production for January, citing the Russia-Ukraine conflict and the global shortage of semiconductors. Last month’s car production reached around 151,700 vehicles nationwide, a 2.45% increase year-on-year, but a 1.7% decline since December, according to AIC spokesperson Surapong Pisitpattanapong. About 74,700 of the vehicles were produced for the domestic market, which accounted for 49.23% of production. The remaining 50.77% of the January production, some 77,000 vehicles, went for exports, the NNT reported. The rise in demand for electronic devices during the COVID-19 pandemic, coupled with the increasing popularity of electric vehicles, […]

The story Thailand vehicle exports affected by chip shortage, Russia-Ukraine conflict as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cabra said:

Last months numbers were affected by a war that started yesterday 🤣

There was already short supply of chips due to covid-induced shortage of minerals.  There's been a huge backlog of vehicles on order due to aluminium shortage as well, especially in the new Toyota 4x4's.

• Like 1

Most if not all car factories worldwide have had chip supply shortages for 2 plus years now due to global shipping issues.

im surprised thailand appears to only have just started to have problems with this issue?

I always been wondering why it's Thailand who complains when the car industry are suffering. To my knowledge Thailand doesn't own any factory in Thailand but it's countries like Japan and America who owns them.  Thailand only manufacturing the cars and send them to other countries. The profit can actually be sent to the respective countries of the cars origin. Same have going on for other manufacturers like Coca Cola who then avoid paying tax where they earn money. Correct me if I'm wrong

11 minutes ago, Rebel said:

To my knowledge Thailand doesn't own any factory in Thailand

Not so. 

From google: 

The country has an established presence of virtually all of the world's leading automakers, assemblers and component manufacturers. Companies such as Toyota, Isuzu, Honda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, and BMW together account for a lion's share of the approximately two million vehicles produced in the country each year.