Location-tracking wristbands and punishments for escapees: Phuket gets ready to welcome vaccinated tourists

Thaiger

As the date of Phuket’s re-opening to vaccinated foreign tourists draws closer, officials are busy preparing all necessary measures prior to the influx. The “sandbox” scheme kicks off on July 1 and provincial officials have been rehearsing immigration and Covid-19 control measures at Phuket airport, the island’s ports, and the Tha Chat Chai checkpoint by the bridge onto the island. According to a Bangkok Post report, a number of strict measures are being put in place to ensure vaccinated tourists don’t spread Covid-19 to the local population and to prevent foreign arrivals from violating the rules of the sandbox scheme. […]

The post Location-tracking wristbands and punishments for escapees: Phuket gets ready to welcome vaccinated tourists appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Arguably these tracking measures are a necessary precaution in these times. However I suspect they will become standard operating procedure in public life... "in the interests of public safety" and all that jazz. Welcome to the future.

• Like 2
  • Cool 2

5 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

Welcome to Thailand concentration camp vacation, big smile!

Yes, fair comment, as sad as the situation is that prompted it.

Hello, AlexPTY and welcome to T-T!

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

KC

NO genuine tourist will visit Phuket under this circumstances. The tracking wristband is the final killer of this brain-fart from incompetent xenophobe government officials.

We left the island and LOScam 1 week ago for good - long overdue - but finally because of the ongoing restrictions like mask wearing, closed gyms and schools, prohibition of inviting friends etc. etc.

We are now in a country where all the measures above not apply. I have to admit that wearing masks in malls is mandatory but it is mostly ignored by the population, same as implemented apps in restaurants etc. are displayed but not monitored.

It is basically back to normal and that's what we same as most people like. So why the retarded officials in LOScam thinking that tourists would come back to Phuket can be only explained by the fact that they still believe LOScam is the center of the universe.

Do I really mind ? No, let them suffer while we are enjoying our life and freedom.

• Like 4
  • Cool 1

"In addition, they are busy devising punishments not only for these tourists, but for anyone who tries to help them."

Are the official mad ? What drugs they are on, i want some too.

What's the point of visiting Phuket when you're treated like a criminal?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 1

7 minutes ago, 321BOOM said:

Do I really mind ? No, let them suffer while we are enjoying our life and freedom.

What an excellent post, 321BOOM, every word of which I can only empathise with, although I am one of the lucky ones, to be living out-in-the-sticks where there aren't even any malls or restaurants that might frustrate me. Any clues as to where you've flit to?

First, let me welcome you to T-T . . . I'm sure that you're going to enjoy your time, here.

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

KC

so are you afraid that the tourist vaccinated with three PCR tests could infect the local population or is it the tourist who should be afraid of being infected by a local population not fully vaccinated?  It is thought that 129,000 people can accept these lager measures, which you are free to impose, but I don't think they can encourage a return to Phuket.  from 2006 to 2020 I spent 5 months a year with my family in Phuket and with great regret I will not return until there is normality.  Good luck in Phuket and its inhabitants.

• Like 4

Wow. I had made reservations for the Phuket re-opening, and was willing to put up with some restrictions, but prisoner tracking bracelets are a red line. I will wait another week for further information before I cancel the reservations, but there is no way I will go to Phuket under these restrictions. What is next, requiring a big, red “V” tatoo for tbe vaccinated?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Cool 1

11 minutes ago, Jw1206 said:

What is next, requiring a big, red “V” tattoo for the vaccinated?

Yes, fair question!

Hello, Jw1206 and welcome to T-T!

Happy posting

KC

Today the last of the 70% for herd immunity would have to be vaccinated for the second time as it will only show full effect in two weeks! Not even half is done and it was always made this as the first condition for opening!

• Like 4

With this Clowns who rule now Thailand will be no more hope for Thailand. Thailand and Myanmar are in a free fall.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

21 minutes ago, wALTER said:

Not even half is done and it was always made this as the first condition for opening!

Delays, damn those delays, those damned delays that have become the hallmark of this government's conduct.

Hello, wALTER and welcome to T-T!

Happy posting

KC

Are people really still going to be required to do the Cert of Entry (COE) which is a major hassle at their in-country Thai Embassy and takes at least one week?  If true, most will not be willing to follow this process. Proof of vaccination and all the required testing is the whole concept behind opening sandboxes, vaccine passports, and travel bubbles.

• Like 2

Sorry officer, my tracking wristband ....

'fell off while swimming'  ...or...

' was picked up by dog and ran off'

... in fact the latter would be a fun thing if in fact you attached the tracker to a dogs collar.

Frankly, a pendant tracker that could be worn around one's neck (under clothing), which also contain ones vital stats and visa status isn't that far off becoming a reality in many countries.

• Cool 2

3 hours ago, Lou said:

Arguably these tracking measures are a necessary precaution in these times. However I suspect they will become standard operating procedure in public life... "in the interests of public safety" and all that jazz. Welcome to the future.

Dont talk for the whole world or europe because they are open up already and nobody would ever accept these nonsense. This might be for Thailands future (and China) but defently not for the rest of the world!

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, Jw1206 said:

I will wait another week for further information before I cancel the reservations, but there is no way I will go to Phuket under these restrictions. 

Jw1206, you are right!  Do not come to Thailand now.  The beaches will wait for you when all the dogs stop chasing their own tails and have their *hit right, you can visit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I've never read such an anti-Thai barrage of knee jerk hysteria about an unofficial list of suggestions. Not since I stopped reading Thai Visa asylum, sorry, message board anyway.

Remarkable.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Slugger said:

Remarkable.

Remarkable, maybe, but you've seemingly been hit with a barrage with only your name on it.

Hello, Slugger and welcome to T-T! It's good that we all have our differing perspectives on most issues for that is what forums rely upon for their enjoyment.

Happy posting

KC

1 hour ago, Slugger said:

I've never read such an anti-Thai barrage of knee jerk hysteria about an unofficial list of suggestions. Not since I stopped reading Thai Visa asylum, sorry, message board anyway.

Remarkable.

What kind of comments do you expect about the incompetence of these clowns and their daily nonsense. They show the whole world that they not even get a job for cleaning outside of Thailand because of their level of competence.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

2 hours ago, Stardust said:

Dont talk for the whole world or europe because they are open up already and nobody would ever accept these nonsense. This might be for Thailands future (and China) but defently not for the rest of the world!

I sincerely hope you are right. However, I'm of the understanding most people in the western world are already being tracked and monitored anyway.

• Cool 1

I'm left wondering if all this was in the "come to Phuket, Thailand" advertising material. Sounds way too CCP to me I'm afraid.  Honestly safety is important but the only ones coming a fully vaccinated tourists. The vaccine either works or it doesn't.  They hop on a plane with a clear test. The sandbox idea is test. In this format it looks set to render holidays to Thailand way down the list once potential travellers read about tracking devices, phone apps, PUNISHMENTS!   And no fun it would appear. I wish them well and feel truly sorry for those who rely on the tourist industry for a living. I hope I am wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Come to Thailand and get treated like convict with tracking bracelet. 

Want to go to short time  hotel with Thai Lady?

Think again!

With this tracking bracelet, Thai government will know you go to other hotel and then add 1 and 1 together to come to the conclusion you are doing boom boom and violating social distancing laws.

Yep... Thai government and Tourism Authority really brainstormed this one together.  

Idiots to think hundreds of thousands to millions of foreigners are going to agree to this.

• Haha 3