Location-tracking wristbands and punishments for escapees: Phuket gets ready to welcome vaccinated tourists

Thaiger

1 hour ago, Slugger said:

I've never read such an anti-Thai barrage of knee jerk hysteria about an unofficial list of suggestions. Not since I stopped reading Thai Visa asylum, sorry, message board anyway.

Remarkable.

Thai Visa asylum is the correct term - and why I dont waste my time there anymore.

15 days til the sandbox starts and they are still putting forward ideas like wristbands and what the rules are will not be finalised until 20 June (Cabinet meeting) and the Royal Gazzette to enact the rules.  Little wonder so many of us are skeptical about it all.  What chance a few sneak out of Phuket on uncle Tom's boat across to Pang Nga and they have Covid and spread it in (insert their home City) and then all tourists in Phuket are banned from leaving their hotel?? Those are the sort of things that happen in Thailand and do. 

• Cool 1

7 minutes ago, EverHopeful said:

I'm left wondering if all this was in the "come to Phuket, Thailand" advertising material. Sounds way too CCP to me I'm afraid.  Honestly safety is important but the only ones coming a fully vaccinated tourists. The vaccine either works or it doesn't.  They hop on a plane with a clear test. The sandbox idea is test. In this format it looks set to render holidays to Thailand way down the list once potential travellers read about tracking devices, phone apps, PUNISHMENTS!   And no fun it would appear. I wish them well and feel truly sorry for those who rely on the tourist industry for a living. I hope I am wrong.

Good read - they are both Military Governments run by Generals. But CCP has a lot of experts involved in their plans and schemes which they plan for the long term - clearly this is not the case in Thailand.   

• Like 1

Several European countries will let you voluntarily sign up to their government app for close contacts to help to contain the spread of Covid.

Imagine thinking up an idea of fitting tourists with location-tracking wristbands and then expect tourists to book a holiday to Thailand, knowing that they have to wear that for the whole duration of their stay.   This is madness of the highest level.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

54 minutes ago, JackMeOff said:

Thai government and Tourism Authority really brainstormed this one together.

Too true and, as you suggest, it's as if they either don't realise or don't care that the world's thousand's of would-be visitors are watching this sad pantomime.

Hello, JackMeOff (great name!) and welcome to T-T!

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

KC

Location tracking wrist band, no thank you. Just when you think Thailand can’t come up with anything else to drive away tourists, they go and outdo themselves. They keep thinking of how to protect the locals from getting the virus from incoming tourists. When the fact is there is almost no chance of that happening. However the reverse is much more likely, tourists getting infected from the locals. I wouldn’t count on large numbers. The funny thing about tourists is they have choices and avoid risk. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 2

7 hours ago, King Cotton said:

Hello, AlexPTY and welcome to T-T!

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

KC

Hello KC, could you please put some menu item or logo at T-T Page, so we could click and go back to main Thaiger  website, or at least open T-T on a new window. It's impossible to go back right now, without opening new window and typing URL again

Thank you

30 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

Hello KC, could you please put some menu item or logo at T-T Page, so we could click and go back to main Thaiger  website, or at least open T-T on a new window. It's impossible to go back right now, without opening new window and typing URL again

Thank you

Yes, for sure. Up at top-left on the lower of the 2 task-bars and next-but-one to the 'Forums' caption, you'll see 'Thaiger News'. That's what will take you to the 'old' Thaiger News website.

Let me know if no joy.

20 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Yes, for sure. Up at top-left on the lower of the 2 task-bars and next-but-one to the 'Forums' caption, you'll see 'Thaiger News'. That's what will take you to the 'old' Thaiger News website.

Let me know if no joy.

I am getting old and head few beers, cannot find it. maybe second Thaiger logo at the header will be a better anchor. Thanks anyways, sure you will get many complaints about this issue :)

Edited by King Cotton
Deletion of meaningless text-talk LOL, as per Guideline 15
  • Thanks 1

I don't understand why anyone thinks being punished for breaking a law (in this case the one saying you can't leave Phuket for 14 days before travelling elsewhere in TH) is wrong.

Maybe I've misread it and they're talking about other laws, but they're still laws.

Don't like it, don't go (I won't).

• Cool 1

4 hours ago, JackMeOff said:

Come to Thailand and get treated like convict with tracking bracelet. 

Want to go to short time  hotel with Thai Lady?

Think again!

With this tracking bracelet, Thai government will know you go to other hotel and then add 1 and 1 together to come to the conclusion you are doing boom boom and violating social distancing laws.

Yep... Thai government and Tourism Authority really brainstormed this one together.  

Idiots to think hundreds of thousands to millions of foreigners are going to agree to this.

There is no prostitution in Thailand, everybody remember when the Police check Pattaya and the walking street and anounced they found no prostition. And prostitution is prohibited in Thailand. 

• Haha 1

Since we are vaccinated , are the locals gonna get screened and PCR so they don't spread nothing, think they are over looking the fact that we are vaccinated and their people are not. 

• Like 1

Us they have facial recognition, it's sounding more and more like that poor China, next they will kidnap us and put into labor camps.

• Cool 2

3 hours ago, Devildawg323 said:

the fact that we are vaccinated and their people are not. 

Yes, fair point.

Hello, Devildawg323 and welcome to T-T!

Happy posting

KC

On 6/16/2021 at 6:36 AM, 321BOOM said:

NO genuine tourist will visit Phuket under this circumstances. The tracking wristband is the final killer of this brain-fart from incompetent xenophobe government officials.

We left the island and LOScam 1 week ago for good - long overdue - but finally because of the ongoing restrictions like mask wearing, closed gyms and schools, prohibition of inviting friends etc. etc.

We are now in a country where all the measures above not apply. I have to admit that wearing masks in malls is mandatory but it is mostly ignored by the population, same as implemented apps in restaurants etc. are displayed but not monitored.

It is basically back to normal and that's what we same as most people like. So why the retarded officials in LOScam thinking that tourists would come back to Phuket can be only explained by the fact that they still believe LOScam is the center of the universe.

Do I really mind ? No, let them suffer while we are enjoying our life and freedom.

Absolutely correct. This virus has been abused to curtail the last bits of freedom we where left with. And the most oppressive regimes will abuse this situation to enhance and cementing their authority and control of the populace . So a military dictatorship in disguise like the one in Thailand will have a field day introducing all sorts of measures under the disguise of protecting us from this "disease". These measures will not be taken back. Just as after 9/11 and officially to prevent terrorists attacks many measures where taken and big brother became a gigantic monster with it's tentacles in every aspect of daily life. As far as Thailand is concerned, measures like these are the last nail in the coffin for their tourist trade, but that's probably been the plan all along. There are many more places in the world which are just as beautiful and who are not as arrogant and xenophobic as Thailand is.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

27 minutes ago, Donald said:

This virus has been abused to curtail the last bits of freedom we where left with.

Excellent debut post . . . a sad but understandable view on the current Thai situation.

Hello, Donald and welcome to T-T!

Happy posting

KC

Enough of a barrage yet?

Your take on the subject seems to be 'yes you're all correct as long as the Thai government gets the blame.'

Indeed remarkable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slugger said:

Enough of a barrage yet?

Your take on the subject seems to be 'yes you're all correct as long as the Thai government gets the blame.'

Indeed remarkable.

Who is responsible for the actions of the government is the government themselves?!

>quarrelsome content deleted<

Edited by KaptainRob
Stick to opinion on topic, please do not cast aspersions on other members

Onerous requirements is right.  As we would love to return to our home away from home for 30 years, the requirements for vaccinated long stay residents are simply too much hassle. There are many other delightful places to live or visit to deal with the aggro of compliance with the  restrictions. Plus I have international insurance, and am unwilling to buy "special" Thai insurance. Plus, they won't sell a policy to anyone over age 70. So age discrimination!!! will keep a lot of travelers away from Thailand as well.

I feel sorry for the people of Thailand who depend on the tourist industry for their daily rice bowl. But the ones who make decisions are removed from the plight of those who actually work for a living.

• Like 2
  • Cool 2

I would like to point out to any official or media person the following:

This scheme is completely illogical and will not work for the following reasons:

1) A 'track & trace' type of system only works if EVERYONE has a bracelet. For example imagine the following scenarios:

- A tourist infects 1 Thai person in a supermarket. This Thai person then goes to multiple other locations and infects other people. How does the bracelet help / stop this in any way? Answer: It doesn't.

- A tourist with a bracelet gets infected with mystery sniffles19 in a supermarket - by catching it from a thai person such as the one mentioned above. Does this tourist then get harassed by the gov because he caught it from a thai person? This is absurd.

2) No tourist wants to be treated like a prisoner. No one will go to Thailand. Personally I have visited Thailand yearly for over 15 years. I just built a house there. I personally will NEVER come back to Thailand until this BS ends. I now live in Florida where the politicians have BRAINS.

Thailand - enjoy your Astra Zeneca shots - the ones that were deemed too dangerous for Europeans - so they lovingly 'donated' them to you!!! You morons. No one will EVER stop any airborne disease. It is ridiculous. it is like trying to put a lid on a kettle. You CANNOT DO IT. The simplest and best solution - is what we have ALWAYS done - just let people get infected and become naturally immune. This happens every year with the flu. Those who are very healthy are fine. others get sick for 2 weeks and are then immune. The very old and frail or immune compromised need to be extra careful. that's it. No experimental shot made from monkey viruses no human rights violating lockdowns and quarantines for healthy people.

The world gov are totally out of control and need to be reined in. This is out of control now.

I have just been to Mexico and Florida where most people don't have masks. Tourism is open. Hundreds of people in restaurants and cafes. And guess what? I asked in the local hospital in Playa del carmen if they had lot's of covid cases and they said "NO". I asked if they had ANY DEATHS. and they said "NO".

This is 100% A GIGANTIC SCAM. THAI PEOPLE NEED TO WAKE THE FK UP NOW.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Mikey777123 said:

This scheme is completely illogical and will not work for the following reasons:

I can think of other reasons too.

You need a total of 4 Covid PCR tests, one 72 before flying, one when arriving at the airport, and 2 extra ones on day 6 and 13. Completely ridiculous for someone who has been vaccinated. I estimate that only these tests will be almost USD 400.

Plus the mandatory 14-day period in a government-approved hotel. Which is probably more expensive than most people would like to pay.

And what do you get?  I heard that bars will still be closed, no alcohol. No clubs. For many people these things are the main reason to come to Thailand. The only reason left to come are beaches. 

Europeans will not come, I am sure about that. Vaccinated people can travel almost freely in the EU now. Spain, Italy, Greece are good alternatives with nice beaches. And much cheaper also. No COE, no difficult procedures with documents. There is no reason to go to Thailand. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mikey777123 said:

. . . It is ridiculous. it is like trying to put a lid on a kettle.

Just one of your many thought-provoking points in this excellent debut post . . . thanks for that!

Hello Mikey777123 and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Happy posting

King Cotton