Thailand Retirement Visa - Post Covid

AussieBob

On 7/4/2021 at 2:37 PM, KhunG said:

I honestly don't get it. 

Ditto, Khun G, KC, Kapt Rob, etc, I just can't see the problem, I honestly can't.

I do 90 day reporting by post (EMS) and it takes maybe two minutes.

I've never noticed dual pricing, and you're talking about maybe a dollar for a national park. That isn't  really a "principle" I can be bothered to get upset about.

On 6/16/2021 at 7:42 AM, AussieBob said:

I personally know of many Aussie Expats that left and went back to Australia (and NZ), and they are still in touch with their Thai wife/girlfriend and occasionally send some money, but they now cannot return for a 3 month holiday visit due to Covid. 

No offence to your mates, Bob, but that doesn't like wives / husbands / gfs / bfs to me.  Maybe that's the problem with some of the disgruntled expats here.

On 7/7/2021 at 8:21 PM, Stonker said:

Ditto, Khun G, KC, Kapt Rob, etc, I just can't see the problem, I honestly can't.

I do 90 day reporting by post (EMS) and it takes maybe two minutes.

I've never noticed dual pricing, and you're talking about maybe a dollar for a national park. That isn't  really a "principle" I can be bothered to get upset about.

No offence to your mates, Bob, but that doesn't like wives / husbands / gfs / bfs to me.  Maybe that's the problem with some of the disgruntled expats here.

Many Expats do not live 100% in Thailand with their wives/gfs/bfs, and they return to their home country on a regular basis - many because of a need, some for business, some for family, some for medical reasons, some preparing for the 'big move', and some for other reasons.  Covid has locked a lot of them out from returning - both things in Thailand and things in their home country.  One of the many benefits the Thai wife and I have staying here is that we are both getting vaccinated - for free. Many Expats who chose to leave Thailand either before or during the covid problems wish to return but they have to wait.

Married my wonderful Thai wife in US, 2001. Retired and moved here in 2005 on non imm. "O-A" retirement visa. Renewed that easily for years using  the embassy income statements which were discontinued awhile back. Started doing monthly money transfers from US, (NOT parking 800k baht.) In 2020 was told by imm.  would need to bump up the ceiling of our Aetna family health insurance which had always served us well as it was.  The options were to get the "O-A" changed to "O" outside Thailand. (with the new covid restrictions on re-entry, not doable for me)  OR  change to "O-A" marriage visa - no change in insurance required. I did that. Still required to do monthly transfers. The 90 day reporting seems stupid but not a major problem. Usually done in under 5 minutes. 

I think if one chooses to live in a heavy tourist area, one will tend to be treated as a tourist. I live in a nice housing estate (50//50 mix Thai & Farang residents) outside a fairly large city in Issan. We get our share of tourists up here but nothing compared to the major league destinations. I'm sorry to see what these junta jerks are doing to this beautiful country and it's people and post about it. In the day to day I try to remember I'm a guest here. I feel welcome and safe. Have zero desire for a downgrade move back to the US. When or if re-entry rules are eased, will continue my yearly visits. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TSS said:

In the day to day I try to remember I'm a guest here.

That's unfortunately the main sociapathic negative they throw out. You have been here since 2005 and far surpassed and have earned the point to be able to be free running with a PR. Me too with way more years than that, but doesn't matter as we are all lumped in one big foreigner 3rd class tuna boat.