News Forum - The new Test & Go – the fine print

Thaiger

Here are some added details for people wanting to arrive under the new version of the Thailand Pass Test & Go program for fully vaccinated travellers entering Thailand at this time. Yesterday the CCSA removed the Day 5 pre-paid PCR test and additional night of SHA+ accommodation. The additional day of testing, and waiting, were deeply unpopular with travellers after the re-introduction of the Test & Go program on February 1. The new guidelines come into effect from March 1 but will not be updated on the Thailand Pass website until that date. There are risks involved with arriving in […]

The story The new Test & Go – the fine print as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Just as suspected - they have not changed much.  Tourists are complaining about day 1 and day 5 tests that they have to book and pay for up front withe risk of being locked up for 10-14 days, so they replace it with day 1 test to be booked and paid for up front, plus day 5 tests that they have to pay for when in Thailand and upload result into their Mor Chana App, and a positive test for either means 10-14 days being locked up.  

Same same. Dont travel to Thailand for a short holiday. Wait until they remove ALL testing after arriving. 

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Just as suspected - they have not changed much. 

I disagree. It’s an important change. Before there was the risk, that you have to stay in quarantine after getting infected in Thailand (and tested positive on day 5). The self-administered ATK test means, that you can avoid to be sent to quarantine.

Plus you can plan your travel as you want. You don’t need a second booking anymore and you don’t have to choose a SHA+ hotel after day 1. With an early arrival and a fast track test you can be free to go after 2-3 hours after you’ve arrived in Thailand. 

The numbers of infections in Thailand are going up and the fact that they are easening the rules means a lot. 

It’s very likely that we will see more changes in the right direction in the next 4-9 weeks. 

16 minutes ago, Michael0510 said:

I disagree. It’s an important change. Before there was the risk, that you have to stay in quarantine after getting infected in Thailand (and tested positive on day 5). The self-administered ATK test means, that you can avoid to be sent to quarantine.

Plus you can plan your travel as you want. You don’t need a second booking anymore and you don’t have to choose a SHA+ hotel after day 1. With an early arrival and a fast track test you can be free to go after 2-3 hours after you’ve arrived in Thailand. 

The numbers of infections in Thailand are going up and the fact that they are easening the rules means a lot. 

It’s very likely that we will see more changes in the right direction in the next 4-9 weeks. 

Sorry - you got that wrong. If you test positive on the day 5 ATK test you have to stay at an approved (ASQ) hotel for 10 days - hospital if you have symptoms. Read the full story - that detail is in there - maybe Thaiger got that part wrong?  But I doubt if you test positive on day 5 ATK that the Thai authorities will just allow you to 'carry on'. 

I agree that easing the rules now shows their future intentions. Yep - 1-2 months should see the daily numbers down and the rules will be eased more and more (hopefully).

• Like 1

thai pass 3.0 is yet another totally useless and basically the same cost and hassle (or more) of all the other crap plans. Not many want to chance it.  scrap it. and scrap the awful more s#@&t app.

Open tourism to fully vaxed and pre flight tested. Get back to visa on arrival. The only way

• Like 3

As indicated, a small step forward. My expectation is that more steps will follow (have to follow) if they really want to improve their visitor numbers. The day 5 test needs to completely go, and actually, at the end the proof of vaccination plus an ATK test FOC upon arrival should suffice. I guess as a matter of face-saving, progress in this regard will only happen in small steps.

• Like 2

Thanks for highlighting the risks still involved.  As expected, some back tracking due to pressure - but still not enough for most to book their holidays. Too much risk - and who knows what “oops positive test” hospital money-grabbing hotel schemes await you on arrival.  Hope things get better & wish good health to everyone Thai and foreigner 

• Like 1

There is still too much risk. With the latest variant being so contagious any test is a risk of being sent to quarantine. Running around Thailand for 5 days where the virus hasn't even peaked yet and then testing is just asking for a positive. I don't see this change making much difference in the numbers. However I do expect Thailand to drop everything except the preflight test come October ... right in time for high season. 

2 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

There is still too much risk. With the latest variant being so contagious any test is a risk of being sent to quarantine. Running around Thailand for 5 days where the virus hasn't even peaked yet and then testing is just asking for a positive. I don't see this change making much difference in the numbers. However I do expect Thailand to drop everything except the preflight test come October ... right in time for high season. 

Right in time for the next variant 😂

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Michael0510 said:

The self-administered ATK test means, that you can avoid to be sent to quarantine.

Why ? If you test positive the same will happen to you as if you had tested positive on the day 1 PCR. You can of course fail to report a positive ATK test, but what are you going to do? Carry on going around and infecting other people? What if you subsequently get sick and need treatment?  How will you explain you tested negative on Day 5 but on day 7 needed hospital treatment?  I doubt the insurance will be happy and I doubt the authorities will be happy. As @AussieBob says, very little has changed and it certainly hasn’t changed compared to what it was like in November. This isn’t progress compared to the start of T&G 

• Like 3

"If your PCR test is positive, you will be required to stay at the hotel for 10 days, at your cost. If you have bad symptoms you’ll be transferred to a hospital for treatment" Nope, that's not true, where does the law states in the article? I just contacted 3 SHA+ hotels in Pattaya and told me that when the incoming tourists get infected with COVID-19 even asymptomatic or have mild symptoms, they have no choice but to send them via ambulance and be at the hospital or hospitel for 10 days so it cannot spread the virus around the hotel.

"If your ATK test is positive you’ll be required to stay at the hotel for 10 days, at your cost. If you have bad symptoms you’ll be transferred to a hospital for treatment". Nope, it's not true also, they'll be send via ambulance too and will be forced to take another PCR test verifying if they get COVID, if negative, they're free to go. If positive, they'll be at the hospital or hospitel for 10 days and will force to pay at least B100K upfront. 

The Thaiger needs to get this fact straight or else there will be a lot of pissed off incoming tourists in the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

We advise everyone  traveling with children to pay attention to this part of the fine print which made us cancel even though we already have an approved Thaipass:

(3) In cases of a child is NOT infected, but ONLY his/her parents/guardians are infected, another family member may care for the child. If there is no family member or guardian to care for the child, the child is to be placed in a welfare centre or accommodation under the care of the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Just as suspected - they have not changed much.  Tourists are complaining about day 1 and day 5 tests that they have to book and pay for up front withe risk of being locked up for 10-14 days, so they replace it with day 1 test to be booked and paid for up front, plus day 5 tests that they have to pay for when in Thailand and upload result into their Mor Chana App, and a positive test for either means 10-14 days being locked up.  

Same same. Dont travel to Thailand for a short holiday. Wait until they remove ALL testing after arriving. 

All will be dropped to coincide with Saudi arrivals.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Rob666666 said:

We advise everyone  traveling with children to pay attention to this part of the fine print which made us cancel even though we already have an approved Thaipass:

(3) In cases of a child is NOT infected, but ONLY his/her parents/guardians are infected, another family member may care for the child. If there is no family member or guardian to care for the child, the child is to be placed in a welfare centre or accommodation under the care of the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security

that is problem with travelling with kids

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rob666666 said:

That is scary. It’s risky enough travelling on your own during these Covid times. Travelling with kids for a holiday to a place like Thailand is reckless. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Soidog said:

Why ? If you test positive the same will happen to you as if you had tested positive on the day 1 PCR. You can of course fail to report a positive ATK test, but what are you going to do? Carry on going around and infecting other people? What if you subsequently get sick and need treatment?  How will you explain you tested negative on Day 5 but on day 7 needed hospital treatment?  I doubt the insurance will be happy and I doubt the authorities will be happy. As @AussieBob says, very little has changed and it certainly hasn’t changed compared to what it was like in November. This isn’t progress compared to the start of T&G 

Correct soidog - all they have done is remove the requirement to book and pay for the day 5 testing. You now have to do and pay the day 5 testing when you are in Thailand - and get quarantined if you test positive. 

Regarding doing an ATK test - I would of course isolate myself until I tested negative, and then upload that to mor chana.  But if I dont ever test negative, I will be 'nailed' when attempting to travel back home as that PCR test will show me as positive.  

It is a ridiculous fake change - designed to trick tourists into believing that the day 5 test and quarantine is gone. And of course all the media outlets including Thaiger published that as the headline - which is all the ignorant tourists see and read unfortunately.   

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Correct soidog - all they have done is remove the requirement to book and pay for the day 5 testing. You now have to do and pay the day 5 testing when you are in Thailand - and get quarantined if you test positive. 

Regarding doing an ATK test - I would of course isolate myself until I tested negative, and then upload that to mor chana.  But if I dont ever test negative, I will be 'nailed' when attempting to travel back home as that PCR test will show me as positive.  

It is a ridiculous fake change - designed to trick tourists into believing that the day 5 test and quarantine is gone. And of course all the media outlets including Thaiger published that as the headline - which is all the ignorant tourists see and read unfortunately.   

On that ATK Test for Day 5 and I get positive, I will keep testing at least 3 times, in the morning, afternoon and evening. If it still positive, then time for me to that 1330 covid hotline to make arrangement for PCR Test.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ace035 said:

"If your PCR test is positive, you will be required to stay at the hotel for 10 days, at your cost. If you have bad symptoms you’ll be transferred to a hospital for treatment" Nope, that's not true, where does the law states in the article? I just contacted 3 SHA+ hotels in Pattaya and told me that when the incoming tourists get infected with COVID-19 even asymptomatic or have mild symptoms, they have no choice but to send them via ambulance and be at the hospital or hospitel for 10 days so it cannot spread the virus around the hotel.

"If your ATK test is positive you’ll be required to stay at the hotel for 10 days, at your cost. If you have bad symptoms you’ll be transferred to a hospital for treatment". Nope, it's not true also, they'll be send via ambulance too and will be forced to take another PCR test verifying if they get COVID, if negative, they're free to go. If positive, they'll be at the hospital or hospitel for 10 days and will force to pay at least B100K upfront. 

The Thaiger needs to get this fact straight or else there will be a lot of pissed off incoming tourists in the foreseeable future.

Exactly. If a doctor want to put an asymptomatic covid "patient" in a hospital bed for 10d, no guideline or rule would ever stop that. And since these hospitals are profit driven.....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bevis said:

Hi,

I have a Thaipass to arrive on 4th March.

I have a day 5 PCR booked and paid for.

Do i still have to do the day 5 PCR test or just the lateral flow?

You still have to do the PCR test. The changes are for applications that are submitted on or after the 1st of March for arrival in Thailand on or after the 7th of March. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ace035 said:

On that ATK Test for Day 5 and I get positive, I will keep testing at least 3 times, in the morning, afternoon and evening. If it still positive, then time for me to that 1330 covid hotline to make arrangement for PCR Test.

Sometimes the positive ATK result is false or only a 'minor' infection/exposure.  Drink plenty of water (no alcohol) and only healthy foods.  Do a complete flush of your nasal passages with saline solution every few hours.  Wait a whole day at least and then try again - maybe do another day. Then if still positive go and get PCR test - only show the last test. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Michael0510 said:

No you cannot Michael. If you test positive with ATK you are required to report that (Mor Chana) and get a PCR test done ASAP. If you then test positive with PCR test then you will be quarantined in SHA hotel or placed in a hospital/tel. 

24 minutes ago, Tim_Melb said:

You still have to do the PCR test. The changes are for applications that are submitted on or after the 1st of March for arrival in Thailand on or after the 7th of March. 

1046385218_Screenshot2022-02-25at09_46_10.png.4944667050de7a4cec01ae8c5cbab6d5.png

3 minutes ago, Saltire said:

1046385218_Screenshot2022-02-25at09_46_10.png.4944667050de7a4cec01ae8c5cbab6d5.png

That's not what it says on the TAT News site. I will trust the TAT's statement rather than Richard Barrow's interpretation. 

2 minutes ago, Tim_Melb said:

That's not what it says on the TAT News site. I will trust the TAT's statement rather than Richard Barrow's interpretation. 

I certainly wouldn't !!

You seem to know little of TAT's reputation for inaccuracies.

• Like 1