News Forum - Cabinet approves the use of chemical castration on repeat sex offenders

Thaiger

The Thai Cabinet approved a bill aimed at preventing repeated sexual offense cases, which includes chemically castrating sexual predators, if at least two medical professionals agree with the procedure and the offender gives consent. MP and spokesperson from the Palang Pracharath Party, Pacharin Sumsiripon, and Justice Minister Somsak Thepsuthin had proposed the so-called “Sex Act” to prevent repeated sexual offense cases. The act aims to provide safety to the population and put a serious punishment on offenders of all ages and genders who repeatedly commit violent sex acts. A total of 320 MPs agreed on the act. Aside from the […]

The story Cabinet approves the use of chemical castration on repeat sex offenders as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Yeah but the offender has to agree with consent, so it is not going to happen. Better to just do it by:

image.png.711c6ca6c28c0cc66e12175d1f76f20b.pngimage.png.1541ceaa7c646d803ed10d52433c3f69.png

Or cut the entire whole package off leaving him just a stump with: 

image.png.c70b205520a003d0914147f5851a8b05.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For sure chemically castrate sexual offenders willing to consent to this as a final resort to stop uncontrollable (mentally ill) repeat offenders. Some people just aren’t right in the head. But, and don’t kill me here, does this country have a fair and balanced legal system, adequate psychological support system, a checks and balances system to safeguard against abuse of this treatment and enough of an educated population to understand the  implications of this measure? I don’t know the sexual offense statistics of Thailand to know if this is warranted and I’d rather not now. This is such a sensitive topic in a land of many taboos that I doubt many people dare to ask “Have you thought this through?” 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Fanta said:

For sure chemically castrate sexual offenders willing to consent to this as a final resort to stop uncontrollable (mentally ill) repeat offenders. Some people just aren’t right in the head. But, and don’t kill me here, does this country have a fair and balanced legal system, adequate psychological support system, a checks and balances system to safeguard against abuse of this treatment and enough of an educated population to understand the  implications of this measure? I don’t know the sexual offense statistics of Thailand to know if this is warranted and I’d rather not now. This is such a sensitive topic in a land of many taboos that I doubt many people dare to ask “Have you thought this through?” 

Depends what you mean by 'checks and balances.'

53 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Depends what you mean by 'checks and balances.'

I don’t mean it in the political sense. I mean checking people and balances to make sure the option is not abused. Checks - for example - Is the treatment suitable for the person? I assume people changing sexes have to go through a series of psychological interviews and tests to check their mental and societal suitability to adapting to such a major change. Is chemically castrating this person creating a ticking time bomb seeking vengeance?  Balances - Imagine a judge who’s daughter was raped. What punishment would he most likely to deliver in HIS court for repeat sexual offenders? “You want 2 x consecutive life sentences or chemical castration and 10 years?”  Stuff like that. I find this option alarming in a country where justice is flexible. 

3 hours ago, resetamy said:

Finally, a policy decision from Thailand that makes sense. Especially considering the propensity of sexual offenders, especially pedophiles. 

Unfortunately, only if the offender consents.

10 hours ago, resetamy said:

Finally, a policy decision from Thailand that makes sense. Especially considering the propensity of sexual offenders, especially pedophiles. 

What about the concept of justice?

It is not unreasonable to expect that this will be used primarily on the poor and those less able to mount a  proper legal defense or to access qualified medical professional. The rich and well connected will continue to do as they wish. What I expect will happen is that  a few Myanmar, Cambodia and illiterate Thais will get this, while the most serious risks will continue as they are.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, resetamy said:

It doesnt make sense , sex attackers like to install fear and be in control and to humiliate other people , removing their knob wont stop those urges 

• Like 1

I think there’s still significant debate on how effective chemical castration is. There is also a lot of confusion (as seen by some of the posts) exactly what Chemical Castration is. Some people think it somehow causes the gonads to shoring and fall off, while others think it makes the penis fall off of become flaccid    None of this is true, and in many cases, the process is entirely reversible and the person can resume a normal sex life. 

As this is a treatment requiring drugs to be taken or administered, it’s hard to imagine this working in any fair and equitable way in Thailand. The Elite will never find themselves subjected to it and it will be used mainly on the rice farmer who abuses kids on the way home from school. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fluke said:

It doesnt make sense , sex attackers like to install fear and be in control and to humiliate other people , removing their knob wont stop those urges 

getting their asses whacked in prison might be a better option

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Thaiger said:

repeated sexual offense cases

I'm sure treatments might work on some, but it's too much of a risk. One offence is bad enough, but if they've done it repeatedly, it's obvious they're not in their right minds. I'm my opinion, those who have committed such crimes should never be let out in society again. Not least, victims should never have to worry about ever meeting them again.  

But, due to the corruption here, nothing will be done anyway.