News Forum - Laos and Thailand agree to re-open border checkpoints

Thaiger

The government of Laos has agreed to re-open border checkpoints with Thailand imminently, according to Thai government spokesman, Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana. The decision follows a courtesy call between the Lao ambassador to Thailand, Seng Soukhathivong, and PM Prayut Chan-o-cha. During the call, the Thai PM said a plan by Lao PM Phankham Viphavanh to make an official visit to Thailand this year would be a good opportunity to build on a strategic partnership aimed at growth and sustainable development. According to a Bangkok Post report, both parties have agreed to re-open border checkpoints in order to boost economic recovery and improve […]

The story Laos and Thailand agree to re-open border checkpoints as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

I’m assuming if you do a visa run, then having left the country, you will need to follow existing entry requirements. Thailand Pass, PCR test before arriving. PCR test on arrival and 1 night SHA+ hotel plus a day 5 ATK. It would be interesting with rising numbers of Covid cases if they consider Thailand a high risk country! If you apply for the Thailand Pass they may reject it on the basis that you have been in a high risk country in the previous 14 days 🤔

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

so whats the deal with visa runs and covid ext?.....

Assuming they move forward and actually open land boarders with Laos, you could then do the run, but you still need to follow all the ThailandPass/TNG protocols to get back into Thailand. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering I have a friend who lives in Laos.we want to meet in Thailand this coming April or may.they are telling me they need money in there account before crossing border.and around 400.00 US dollars  to do paperwork.is this true .is there somebody who know rules and regulations upon entering.thank you.Ralph fusco

1 hour ago, Ralph said:

Just wondering I have a friend who lives in Laos.we want to meet in Thailand this coming April or may.they are telling me they need money in there account before crossing border.and around 400.00 US dollars  to do paperwork.is this true .is there somebody who know rules and regulations upon entering.thank you.Ralph fusco

I also wondering because there are still no regulations for travelling from Thailand to Laos and back, same from Laos to Thailand and back.