News Forum - Phuket makes plans to attract more Thai tourists, same day Level 4 alert anounced

Thaiger

After the Test & Go scheme reopened on February 1, there still hasn’t been a large increase in the number of international tourists visiting Thailand. Now, Phuket officials have launched new plans to encourage Thai tourists to come to Phuket. They launched these plans on the same day the Thai government announced a Level 4 alert on the Covid-19 situation. The Tourism Authority of Thailand Phuket has set a goal of 160 million tourists for 2022. The Phuket Tourists’ Association’s Vice President of Domestic Marketing said the association’s domestic marketing plan for this year includes activities to promote its “Consumer […]

The story Phuket makes plans to attract more Thai tourists, same day Level 4 alert anounced as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I wouldn't set foot in Phuket until they sort out those taxis and why can't Thailand actually have some low cost buses to tourist sites at these destinations instead of forcing everyone to book these expensive taxis in the first place or songthaews or whatever they have in the area. The last time I was in chiangmai the red bus that went to doi  Suthep  (50baht) didnt go until it was full after sitting there for 90 minutes i eventually ended up paying 800 baht for some tour of three sites I knew weren't very good. Even the grand canyon a popular tourist site or the zip lines have no cheap tourist buses servicing them, just the taxi mafia.

Edited by alex12345
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The Tourism Authority of Thailand Phuket has set a goal of 160 million tourists for 2022.

A realistic goal is out of the question,  as usual?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

. The Tourism Authority of Thailand Phuket has set a goal of 160 million tourists for 2022.

If that's not a mistake then it's confirmation they are off their heads and need therapy .. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Great idea - attract domestic tourists to the province with more Covid cases per head than any other in Thailand so they'll take home a present to remember 😂!

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Cabra said:

I think someone moved the decimal point 🤣 More like 1.6 million (365 days at +/-3500 per day).

Still madness - inspired by the lunatics at TAT no doubt. 

• Like 2

I think the problem for Phuket is its location really. It's a long way to go. The majority of Thais will drive when they go somewhere, and it's a long way down. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cabra said:

I think someone moved the decimal point 🤣 More like 1.6 million (365 days at +/-3500 per day).

It was put out by a TAT statistician moonlighting for a TAT Phuket one. Or they are trying to make the parent organisation look really really good at predicting tourist numbers. They must have bought the calculator from the night market …. The one that shows the tourist price! 😉

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

I think the problem for Phuket is its location really. It's a long way to go. The majority of Thais will drive when they go somewhere, and it's a long way down. 

Fortunately, we are really. The air quality and pollution most of the time in the north is simply terrible.

“…and there will be activities to promote tourism at the local level in all areas during Songkaran 2022 as well.”

Well, it seems they again "encouraging" people to travel and spread the virus as much, as they can.

What did Doc Kusak say, last year: Don't worry the arrivals from overseas. Mind the domestic travelers in Thailand! (free interpretation)

He was right. In April the last "wave" started by people flying in from Bangkok, and after the Sandbox opened, the most cases came over the bridge! So 4 digits, a day, after Sonkran?

• Like 1

I don't know what to laugh at most, the stupid figures constantly predicted by a cleaner from the TAT offices or the planner who makes up ideas such as the latest 1 " Phuket Great Time " what next week " Gods great but Phukets Greater".

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

most of the feed back I have ever had from thai visitors to phuket is along the lines of it's an overpriced dump.the food generally is quite nice but way overpriced and you can get the same sort of food in bangkok much cheaper and better quality, particularly the sea food!

I've heard this sort of thing from hiso thais for decades and am inclined to agree with them.

the officials of phuket are living in la la land if they genuinely think that well healed thais are going to go to that sh*t hole for a holiday,most have way more sense.

Edited by Cathat
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

That is true for Bangkok people - and that is why Hua Hin, Chonburi and Rayong are popular.  But for everyone else it is a plane trip to anywhere - so Phuket is same same. It would be interesting to know the numbers from each Province that do go to Phuket. 

10 hours ago, Guest1 said:

“…and there will be activities to promote tourism at the local level in all areas during Songkaran 2022 as well.”

Well, it seems they again "encouraging" people to travel and spread the virus as much, as they can.

What did Doc Kusak say, last year: Don't worry the arrivals from overseas. Mind the domestic travelers in Thailand! (free interpretation)

He was right. In April the last "wave" started by people flying in from Bangkok, and after the Sandbox opened, the most cases came over the bridge! So 4 digits, a day, after Sonkran?

How dare you say the problem is more about Thais than dirty farangs - Anutin wants your name and address mate 😁

8 hours ago, Cathat said:

most of the feed back I have ever had from thai visitors to phuket is along the lines of it's an overpriced dump.the food generally is quite nice but way overpriced and you can get the same sort of food in bangkok much cheaper and better quality, particularly the sea food!

I've heard this sort of thing from hiso thais for decades and am inclined to agree with them.

the officials of phuket are living in la la land if they genuinely think that well healed thais are going to go to that sh*t hole for a holiday,most have way more sense.

Same from most of the Thais I know - and Expats living long term.  They might visit once, but that experience is enough to not go again - far better and cheaper places in Thailand than Phuket. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

How dare you say the problem is more about Thais than dirty farangs - Anutin wants your name and address mate 😁

I am not saying that. The statistic is and Dr Kusak was.

America Obama GIF

Aside, domestic arrivals (on Phuket) are not only Thais.

14 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

I am not saying that. The statistic is and Dr Kusak was.

Aside, domestic arrivals (on Phuket) are not only Thais.

Ok then - so you are a mate of Anutin and you agree with him - have I got it right this time?  

5 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Ok then - so you are a mate of Anutin and you agree with him - have I got it right this time?  

I am no ones mate, here. But what do you see, on this picture the Thaiger published  from one of the spreader events on Phuket, last April?spacer.png

21 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

I am no ones mate, here. But what do you see, on this picture the Thaiger published  from one of the spreader events on Phuket, last April?spacer.png

I can understand that. So you are saying that Songkran was the cause of last year's Covid wave (as we all know), but that it was mainly foreigners who spread the covid around - not all the Thais travelling around and to home and back for Songkran. 

12 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

I can understand that. So you are saying that Songkran was the cause of last year's Covid wave (as we all know), but that it was mainly foreigners who spread the covid around - not all the Thais travelling around and to home and back for Songkran. 

If you looking at the topic, we are in: I am referring to Phuket, not to any home travelling Thais in "the rest" of Thailand! And of course, before the Sandbox, it was obvious, what kept the wave running, on Phuket. It got started, early April, assumingly with some locals, coming infected from Bangkok. But got spread around by the party goers, which mostly have been non Thais (without masks on). Then they locked Phuket for a while, but with opening the bridge and "attracting" local tourists (not only) to Phuket, by paying half of the room rates for them,  they ignited it again. Of course domestic travel is mostly done by Thais. There are 69 Million of them around!

And with sandbox, negative tested arrivals from overseas, that became then obvious!

And even test&go is more pointing out, that oversea tourists are picking it either in the plane, from the ones tested positive on arrival, or in the first 3 days (for after that there is no testing, mostly) in the "go" scheme.  

And now you see, not only near beaches, more and more people running around without masks or without mask OVER mouth AND nose. And more often the one or other store/restaurant closed for some days, a week or two, on the west coast side of the island.

Just look in the other topic, "Why is it always farangs not wearing masks???", there are a lot people in the country, who in average are less likely wanna accept any mask mandate.

And by looking around, not only on the roads and taking in account, that there are about 10 times more Asian people on Phuket, as there are "Caucasian", the "Farangs" are heavily overrepresented in the anti-masker or mask-ignorant fraction.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

If you looking at the topic, we are in: I am referring to Phuket, not to any home travelling Thais in "the rest" of Thailand! And of course, before the Sandbox, it was obvious, what kept the wave running, on Phuket. It got started, early April, assumingly with some locals, coming infected from Bangkok. But got spread around by the party goers, which mostly have been non Thais (without masks on). Then they locked Phuket for a while, but with opening the bridge and "attracting" local tourists (not only) to Phuket, by paying half of the room rates for them,  they ignited it again. Of course domestic travel is mostly done by Thais. There are 69 Million of them around!

And with sandbox, negative tested arrivals from overseas, that became then obvious!

And even test&go is more pointing out, that oversea tourists are picking it either in the plane, from the ones tested positive on arrival, or in the first 3 days (for after that there is no testing, mostly) in the "go" scheme.  

And now you see, not only near beaches, more and more people running around without masks or without mask OVER mouth AND nose. And more often the one or other store/restaurant closed for some days, a week or two, on the west coast side of the island.

Just look in the other topic, "Why is it always farangs not wearing masks???", there are a lot people in the country, who in average are less likely wanna accept any mask mandate.

And by looking around, not only on the roads and taking in account, that there are about 10 times more Asian people on Phuket, as there are "Caucasian", the "Farangs" are heavily overrepresented in the anti-masker or mask-ignorant fraction.

Nice try at getting out of that one mate - but fail.  I have you pegged - Thai Apologist (be careful).

2 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Nice try at getting out of that one mate - but fail.  I have you pegged - Thai Apologist (be careful).

I am really not sure that you know which way the wind blows.

ffs-baby.gif.bbba0adebff13d451b595a31696f5bc6.gif

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

I am really not sure that you know which way the wind blows.

It blows thatta way Scarlett - and I am outta here (Red).

• Haha 1