News Forum - Top 10 hard truths of living as an expat in Thailand

Thaiger

11 hours ago, Fluke said:

Its a reality that needs to be faced and realised , before its too late .

Before getting involved in a long term relationship , understand that shes just in it for the financial reward and that she doesnt actually care for you, or maybe doesn't even like you .

Thats a reality that needs to be understood 

I think that’s true in a disproportionately high number of Thai/Foreigner relationships. Mainly driven by a disproportionately high number of those relationships starting with financial transactions in a bar. That said, the “she’s just in it for financial reward” is true all over the world. Pretty younger women marry older wealthier men for exactly the same motivations. The difference is that if your ex-bar girl relationship fails, you get to keep your house back home. Your car, savings and private pension. Mind you, you may lose your life instead 😂 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Fluke said:

Why you you get into a long term relationship with a person you dont like much ?

Oh dear, read it again, who said anything about long term?  In this context over night is long term. 

• Like 1

Honestly, this gets complicated. I wanted to comment on the article itself and did not manage to login.  So here my comment;  Nice summary Tim. Nothing surprising or new for me, but surely a good resource for some people.  So I think it served the purpose well.

Truth # 11  - Cost of living does depend less on where you live, than how you live!

Truth # 12 - Spicy Thai food burns at least twice... 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Oh dear, read it again, who said anything about long term?  In this context over night is long term. 

I did , in the post that you replied to .

I was talking about long term relationships , rather than one night prostitution relationships and that is the post you replied to 

4 hours ago, Stefan said:

Truth # 12 - Spicy Thai food burns at least twice... 

When you go to the toilet the next day , the spicy food burns your butt hole ?

Thanks for that insightful information 

10 minutes ago, Fluke said:

I did , in the post that you replied to .

I was talking about long term relationships , rather than one night prostitution relationships and that is the post you replied to 

and like I said, who said anything about long term, only you, not me ?

Edited by Pinetree

7 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

and like I said, who said anything about long term, only you, not me ?

I though you were following on from our discussion , rather than talking about something else , it gets confusing when people do that , we were talking about marrige/long term relarionships , short time  prostitution is something different to what was being discussed 

21 hours ago, Pinetree said:

That paragraph ended with 'considering going on a proper date', why, just maybe ending up with where you could have been hours or even days/weeks before,  by just paying out 2,000 Baht to a good looking bar girl. Doesn't sound an attractive  option to me. 

How much would an ugly prostitute cost for the night ?

If you can get one for a 1000 Baht , you could spent 500 Baht on beer and the ugly prostitute would them look rather attractive and you save yourself 500 Baht

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

18 minutes ago, Fluke said:

I though you were following on from our discussion , rather than talking about something else , it gets confusing when people do that , we were talking about marrige/long term relarionships , short time  prostitution is something different to what was being discussed 

Not really, different but the same.  I was commenting on the original report post, which talks about male female ( I take it? )  relations that start in LOS.  My observations were perfectly valid in terms of that report. They were also meant to be light hearted.  I'm sorry if I upset you with that type of humour.  I am afraid that I dont take any of these types of forum that seriously.  To me, they can sometimes be a good source of local information, but more often, they are just entertainment and nothing more than that. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fluke said:

When you go to the toilet the next day , the spicy food burns your butt hole ?

Thanks for that insightful information 

You must have a tender butt. Let’s see, what’s the opposite of hardass.

My work arounds on my six to twelve months visits.

Bribery to officials, just accept it as in fact it is better in some ways than the systems in the UK.

For example, if you want to get planning permission here (UK) to build a house it can take six months, lots of actions to go though, a big cost. I had a house built near the sea in Rayong (Mae Phim Beach) in 2019, I put 7k baht in someones  pocket in the planning office and a week later I had everything I needed, great I thought.

I was once stopped and tested by the police and was over the drink drive limit, I didn't know drivers with an international driving licence can only have the equivalent of one small beer, I had had two beers. I learnt that lesson.

There were about a dozen other people caught too, I had a whisper in the boss policeman's ear and he took me to an ATM when're I handed over 20,000 baht and then was on my way. I found out one of the guys in the group had to spend the night in a cell and fined 30,000 baht.

Twenty year old bar girls, leave them to the sex tourist as it mostly always ends up in tears for the farang, my tip is to find a 'normal' Thai woman with a good job and who is financially independent and therefore it is not a 'money love' partnership as I did in my fifteen year relationship with my partner (still together).

Driving, I do not drive long distances at night as I nearly went into the back of a car on a highway, the highway and car had no lights (Souther Highway, Krabi to Surat Thani).

But driving during the day is great fun in Thailand as long as you keep scanning 360 degrees as you drive and drive in a defensive way by trying to anticipate what the other drivers/riders will do.

Double pricing, I have never had that happen to me, I have tested many restaurants (Phuket), hotels by sending in a Thai first and then I go in alone and I have always been given the same menu/price, plus many of the street sellers have a menu fixed to their 'shop'.

I do not tend to go to tourist things like zoos etc but the once or twice I did, my Thai partner paid 50 baht and I paid 100, so what, I don't mind.

I am never in any rush to go anywhere so it does not matter if it takes time, but one thing I would never do is business in Thailand, too hot, too complicated, so make the money in the UK and then spends some of it there.

• Like 1