News Forum - Top 10 hard truths of living as an expat in Thailand

Thaiger

13 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Error 404 is all that pops up.

Maybe I'm weird but none of the problems listed affect me. If you've adjusted to Thai life you just take things in stride and enjoy. I've never been one to waste time on the negatives though. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Maybe I'm weird but none of the problems listed affect me. If you've adjusted to Thai life you just take things in stride and enjoy. I've never been one to waste time on the negatives though. 

That is adjusting to the Thai way of life , just ignore everything and smile 

13 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Top 10 hard truths of living as an expat in Thailand | News by Thaiger

Does that make anything "pop-up" ?

A wee bit. But just a little younger and more scantily dressed might do it a little better. Nice morocos on the one though.

14 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

It finally opened up for me. All on the list just seem normal.

None of the 10 affect my life as a retired expat. I dont drive, "date" ladies all the time, yet never expect them to love me as am a "butterfly".

Visa paperwork same every year.  Never had to line up for more than 15 minutes once a year at immigration.

Very infrequently patronize foreign run "businesses".   TIT, spend my money at Thai businesses, they need the money more IMO.  2 tier pricing is something foreigners should laugh at. Most of us made 10 times the money a Thai makes, so paying 5 times a Thai citizens price at a national park is reasonable to me. 200-400 baht to visit national parks in Thailand.  In the US over 3000 baht to enter Grand Canyon national park.

Hard truth is life is much harder in the US, so consider myself lucky

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

A wee bit. But just a little younger and more scantily dressed might do it a little better. Nice morocos on the one though.

That paragraph ended with 'considering going on a proper date', why, just maybe ending up with where you could have been hours or even days/weeks before,  by just paying out 2,000 Baht to a good looking bar girl. Doesn't sound an attractive  option to me. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

That paragraph ended with 'considering going on a proper date', why, just maybe ending up with where you could have been hours or even days/weeks before,  by just paying out 2,000 Baht to a good looking bar girl. Doesn't sound an attractive  option to me. 

I do think that the point was that you may then find someone who actually likes you , rather than someone who is with you because you pay for their company and then the relationship may be a bit more fulfilling 

1 hour ago, ExpatPattaya said:

None of the 10 affect my life as a retired expat. I dont drive, "date" ladies all the time, yet never expect them to love me as am a "butterfly".

Visa paperwork same every year.  Never had to line up for more than 15 minutes once a year at immigration.

Very infrequently patronize foreign run "businesses".   TIT, spend my money at Thai businesses, they need the money more IMO.  2 tier pricing is something foreigners should laugh at. Most of us made 10 times the money a Thai makes, so paying 5 times a Thai citizens price at a national park is reasonable to me. 200-400 baht to visit national parks in Thailand.  In the US over 3000 baht to enter Grand Canyon national park.

Hard truth is life is much harder in the US, so consider myself lucky

It costs 1130 baht for a vehicle to enter Grand Canyon and that can include 15 people in a van

But let's say 4 in a car, it comes to 280 baht pp

You might be thinking of tours 

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/fees.htm

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fluke said:

Top 10 hard truths of living as an expat in Thailand | News by Thaiger

Does that make anything "pop-up" ?

Is that a ladyboy on the far left ?

(No need for lefties to claim that the one on the far right is also a ladyboy and that she was a ladyboy first)

• Haha 1

News Forum - Top 10 hard truths of living as an expat in Thailand

Verses

News Forum - Top 10 hard truths of living as an expat in Ukraine (May make the Thailand top 10 a bit mild).

1 hour ago, Fluke said:

I do think that the point was that you may then find someone who actually likes you , rather than someone who is with you because you pay for their company and then the relationship may be a bit more fulfilling 

I'm sure that is what was meant, but I personally can do without the commitment and I would suggest that many expats, and a good many tourists, if they were being honest,  would think the same.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

I'm sure that is what was meant, but I personally can do without the commitment and I would suggest that many expats, and a good many tourists, if they were being honest,  would think the same.   

Its a reality that needs to be faced and realised , before its too late .

Before getting involved in a long term relationship , understand that shes just in it for the financial reward and that she doesnt actually care for you, or maybe doesn't even like you .

Thats a reality that needs to be understood 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fluke said:

Before getting involved in a long term relationship , understand that shes just in it for the financial reward and that she doesnt actually care for you, or maybe doesn't even like you .

Sure, that's obvious, but the reverse can also be true. I may not care for her, or even like her that much. It can be no more than a business transaction that we both understand.  What's good for the goose is good for the gander. The problem, if there is one,  is the naivety of so many visiting men folk to Thailand .   

1 minute ago, Pinetree said:

Sure, that's obvious, but the reverse can also be true. I may not care for her, or even like her that much. It can be no more than a business transaction that we both understand.  What's good for the goose is good for the gander. The problem, if there is one,  is the naivety of so many visiting men folk to Thailand .   

Why you you get into a long term relationship with a person you dont like much ?

4 hours ago, Poolie said:

It's only the skint people who moan about pricing.

Not true. It’s just people who fail to see the wrong in dual pricing that fail to complain. Ignorance is bliss as the saying goes. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fluke said:

You mean bar girls or any Thai girl

I've provided met hundreds of Thai girls living in US/Canada with farang

I am sure some were BG's

And I'd sat out or 100, 95 married regular Joe's and all work pretty hard and contribute