News Forum - Is Russia invading Ukraine? Biden says so

Thaiger

US President Joe Biden has called out Russia’s Vladimir Putin for claiming two sections of land in eastern Ukraine under the guise of new “sovereign” states and for sending so-called peacekeeping troops to the region. In a televised statement on Monday, Putin confirmed his recognition of Donetsk and Luhansk — 2 breakaway areas in the Donbas region of eastern Ukraine already controlled by Russian-backed separatists — and announced the deployment of Russian troops to the regions as a “peacekeeping” mission. Read: Putin sends ‘peacekeping’ troops to Ukraine after recognising breakaway provinces “This is the beginning of the Russian Invasion of […]

The story Is Russia invading Ukraine? Biden says so as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

only a very naive person can think that this story of Russia's "invasion" of Ukraine and the West's heroic resistance to it is not a theatrical production.  

bottom line:

- Russia recognized de facto territories independent of Ukraine;  

-Europe and the United States have adopted "tough" sanctions against people and companies close to Putin, who already do not have assets and businesses in the West;  

-several civilian and military deaths;  

-the attention of the townsfolk is diverted from the really pressing problems.

nothing personal, just business.

• Like 3

Newsreel footage of smiling happy Ukrainian faces being liberated by the Red Army in 1944 sums up the relationship between the Ukraine and Russia. A jackboot on the neck is a jackboot on the neck, no matter whose army it belongs to. The Red Army doesn't belong there anymore than NATO does.

Edited by Grumpish
Typo
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Grumpish said:

Newsreel footage of smiling happy Ukrainian faces being liberated by the Red Army in 1944 sums up the relationship between the Ukraine and Russia. A jackboot on the neck is a jackboot on the neck, no matter whose army it belongs to. The Red Army doesn't belong there anymore than NATO does.

Is 75 years far enough back?

• Like 1

Russia troops crossed the border and the Ukraine didn’t want them to do so. Sure sounds like an invasion. Outside of the fact Russian troops have been inside Ukraine for years now , all while claiming that wasn’t the case. Why is the fact this is or isn’t an invasion a question? 

2 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

Russia troops crossed the border and the Ukraine didn’t want them to do so. Sure sounds like an invasion. Outside of the fact Russian troops have been inside Ukraine for years now , all while claiming that wasn’t the case. Why is the fact this is or isn’t an invasion a question? 

Because technically they haven't entered Ukrainian territory. 1-0 Vladimir.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poolie said:

Remind me, when did China invade Tibet, how long has Taiwan been independent from Communist China, and how old was that now lost book that China bases it's sovereignty over the entire South China Sea on.?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KRLMRX said:

Russia recognized de facto territories independent of Ukraine;

Russia has no right to invent new countries in another land. Also tated by UN.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Poolie said:

You think Ukrainianswould gladly welcome the Russians again? No way, they tasted democracy.

of course that minority of Russians living in the Donbas are happy with Putin. But ask anybody in the street in Kiev. Besides, they have free democratic elections. Problem is they sometimes choose the wrong guy who is a little bit corrupt. But I guess they prefer a corrupt guy over dictatot Putin

• Like 2

Seems everyone has forgotten the "Cuban Missile Crisis", when the roles were reversed and Kennedy threatened nuclear war! Though I don't think Kruschefofs' son had big business dealings in Cuba!

• Like 1

Not yet - maybe Russia will - but I think not.  Russia previously occupied Crimea, and they have mow occupied at their request two self-declared independent States who have been in civil war with the NATO supported Ukraine Govt for over 6 years. 

28 minutes ago, Alavan said:

Russia has no right to invent new countries in another land. Also tated by UN.

I know that there are many people fooled by propaganda who believe that only the "democratic countries of the West" can invent new countries.

but this is a flawed approach, think about it.

and for information - in the UN Charter there is also the right of nations to self-determination.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Grumpish said:

Remind me, when did China invade Tibet, how long has Taiwan been independent from Communist China, and how old was that now lost book that China bases it's sovereignty over the entire South China Sea on.?

OOOOOhhhh, ya got me!! It was about 1600 I think. Not being a Chinese historian, I wouldn't know. I do know that Taiwan isn't independent. The book? Ask America. Apparently they know best.😃

38 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Technically, they have. Donetsk still is a territory of Ukraine (a territory labeled "temporarily occupied" since not long after 2014, but nevertheless). Occupying someone's backyard for a couple of years doesn't imply transfer of ownership (or the right to declare / unilaterally validate independence), at least not in a sense that is internationally accepted.

Edited by Chatogaster
clarification
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Chatogaster said:

Technically, they have. Donetsk still is a territory of Ukraine (a territory labeled "temporarily occupied" since not long after 2014, but nevertheless). Occupying someone's backyard for a couple of years doesn't imply transfer of ownership (or the right to declare / unilaterally validate independence), at least not in a sense that is internationally accepted.

Ok, it obviously matters to you so be it. I though that by declaring them independent he bought the right. Hence the peacekeepers

1 hour ago, Poolie said:

Outside the fact Putin claims otherwise, pretty sure that’s not true. Russian troops crossing an internationally recognized border that Ukraine still claims is an invasion. 

• Like 4