News Forum - Public bus hits motorbike stopped for pedestrians at zebra crossing in Bangkok

Thaiger

A motorbike driver who stopped at a zebra crossing to yield pedestrians the right of way was hit from behind by an oncoming public bus. Thais on social media have been sharing a CCTV video clip of the accident. Pedestrian safety has been in the spotlight in Thailand after the fatal accident last month where a police officer sped and crashed his Ducati motorcycle into an eye doctor, killing her. On Valentine’s Day, the 37 year old motorbike driver was headed to work when he  saw two pedestrians walking on the crosswalk by Paolo Hospital in Bangkok’s Saphan Kwai area […]

The story Public bus hits motorbike stopped for pedestrians at zebra crossing in Bangkok as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Having been hit on my motorbike first by a car and then by a truck, I can see how this can happen. motorbike riders need to be visible. Time to invest in a high vis vest. After the stories of people being hit on zebra crossings in the last couple of weeks, it's time to be visible and to wear protective gear. If elephants can be killed, an ordinary human has no hope.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Having been hit on my motorbike first by a car and then by a truck, I can see how this can happen. motorbike riders need to be visible. Time to invest in a high vis vest. After the stories of people being hit on zebra crossings in the last couple of weeks, it's time to be visible and to wear protective gear. If elephants can be killed, an ordinary human has no hope.

I wouldn't trust a Bangkok bus driver to see me if I was wearing a disco ball on my head 🤣 but your point is well taken

Dance Spinning GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

32 minutes ago, Jason said:

You can see the video if you click on the link to Sanook below the article.

It was broad daylight and the motorbike was right in front of him, and the driver clearly made no effort to stop.  If he hadn't hit the motorbike he'd have ploughed straight into the two walking across the zebra crossing - who just ignored the motorbike driver being knocked off right in front of them and carried on as if nothing had happened - a real pair of scumbags.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cabra said:

I wouldn't trust a Bangkok bus driver to see me if I was wearing a disco ball on my head 🤣 but your point is well taken

Dance Spinning GIF

Absolutely, @Cabra - he wasn't stopping for anyone until he hit the motorbike driver, breaking his back.

Hopefully he'll get compensation, but I doubt it.

• Like 1

Road Usage here to be viewed as COMBAT. “Protect Yourself at All Times”.

On my motorbike I NEVER Stop. Perpetual Motion. FULL Focus. 360 Viewing.

Traffic Lights ? Left Turn / U Turn / Left Turn. OR if too dangerous will stop in front of line, ahead of protecting waiting 4 wheelers. Defensive Driving Rules🤤😯

• Like 3

I would stop also but with a ever vigilant eye on the mirror just to watch the on coming vehicles behind me!

If it appears that vehicle isn’t braking , behind me, then full throttle up!

• Like 1

Only thing that might work would be some kind of actual enforcement - fines that are large enough to hurt, loss of licence, even prison sentences for serious cases leading to death or permanent injury. Yes, I know. Might work. But never going to happen.

• Like 2

Need better flashing lights hanging lower with a camera in everyone’s face. I was the first one who stopped the other day on my bike in CM right by Suan Dok Hospital as the people crossed the street, and the lights still had 4 seconds on the clock as everyone sped off. I felt so vulnerable and I was even looking in my mirror to make sure I wasn’t hit. But then I do that all of the time for years now. Getting creamed from the rear is going to hurt you real good. 
This news is yesterday’s news I saw on the tv.  

2 hours ago, Stonker said:

Absolutely, @Cabra - he wasn't stopping for anyone until he hit the motorbike driver, breaking his back.

Hopefully he'll get compensation, but I doubt it.

I had a motorcycle in the US and was almost hit by little old ladies several times. They just don’t see you.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

I had a motorcycle in the US and was almost hit by little old ladies several times. They just don’t see you.

Oh they did, believe me, they did. 😃

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, Thaiger said:

A motorbike driver who stopped at a zebra crossing to yield pedestrians the right of way was hit from behind by an oncoming public bus.

Yep, same on traffic lights. In case you decide to brake already while yellow switches to  red. Saw that a couple of times.

6 hours ago, Jason said:

In Thailand, that happens why no one is used to brake for pedestrians! That is just a new rule, to many. And usually a public bus in Bangkok is not the speedster. To many stops, to much traffic, no time for stopping at pedestrian crossings. In Thailand, before braking, you NEED TO KNOW, how far and how big it is, behind you! Even on traffic lights, going to Red. this enormous, sometimes in 3 digits, red light slots letting too many people drive for another 5 seconds or in convoy over. You brake, you are in the way. On your tombstone: He was right, it was a pedestrian/red light, he had to stop!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stonker said:

If he hadn't hit the motorbike he'd have ploughed straight into the two walking across the zebra crossing - who just ignored the motorbike driver being knocked off right in front of them and carried on as if nothing had happened - a real pair of scumbags.

Great, the reason for his braking just walked away! 

On the other hand: Nope, just watch the video again, they would have let the bus pass! Often, if a car/bike stops at a "zebra", that means not, that everything around/behind stops. Looks like experience road crosser, to me

People crossing at the zebra used to be good sport for motorcycles. I must concur this attention is a new thing. On a separate note, I was rear ended while sitting at a red light. The officer deduced it was my fault because the accident would never have happened if I weren't in the country. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

i've actually steered around pedestrians crossing the road on a Zebra crossing!... In Hua Hin, on the main 2-lane thru' town there's a popular crossing..BUT, 200m before this Z.C.is an intersection with traffic lights.

Sorry, but when I take note of what's coming at me from behind once them lights have changed... neither the pedestrians or me sat there do not stand much chance!..Such is the mentality of Thai drivers..It's as if they just HAVE to set off & boot their vehicles to try make up for time lost sat at the red light.. TiT.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Tanuki said:

i've actually steered around pedestrians crossing the road on a Zebra crossing!... In Hua Hin, on the main 2-lane thru' town there's a popular crossing..BUT, 200m before this Z.C.is an intersection with traffic lights.

Sorry, but when I take note of what's coming at me from behind once them lights have changed... neither the pedestrians or me sat there do not stand much chance!..Such is the mentality of Thai drivers..It's as if they just HAVE to set off & boot their vehicles to try make up for time lost sat at the red light.. TiT.

The first time I drove past BluePort - I stopped at the red light and got so confused when everyone kept rolling through. Same at the one near Roccos/7-11 crossing. Usually even see scooters rolling through the crossing as well (to the other side).

Hua Hin drivers are quiet aggressive on Petchkasem and the highways.

11 hours ago, Guest1 said:

Great, the reason for his braking just walked away!

Yes, I really was genuinely shocked by that - just walked straight past.

... and you're right that they could / would have stopped for the bus, but they didn't have time to stop for the guy who'd just been knocked down in front of them.  Hopefully someone will name and shame both of them.

8 hours ago, Transam said:

That is sort of shifting the blame, surely any professional driver of a motorised vehicle should be reading the road ahead, plus, if he can't see a stationary m/cycle he shouldn't be in charge of a bus.

But, perhaps his ABS was faulty, eh....🤭   

In both my cases, the other driver was at fault (proven to be). The difficulty was being visible. Both drivers said they couldn't see me. And that was on a bright red scooter and with a headlight on. the first was a car who failed to look to see the way was clear. the second was a truck who turn turned without looking.

16 minutes ago, Jason said:

In both my cases, the other driver was at fault (proven to be). The difficulty was being visible. Both drivers said they couldn't see me. And that was on a bright red scooter and with a headlight on. the first was a car who failed to look to see the way was clear. the second was a truck who turn turned without looking.

How did they prove that the first chap didn't look and the second turned without checking?

15 minutes ago, Poolie said:

How did they prove that the first chap didn't look and the second turned without checking?

Stop it Poolie - let them go mate - why embarrass.  

On 2/21/2022 at 4:49 PM, Thaiger said:

A motorbike driver who stopped at a zebra crossing to yield pedestrians the right of way was hit from behind by an oncoming public bus. Thais on social media have been sharing a CCTV video clip of the accident. Pedestrian safety has been in the spotlight in Thailand after the fatal accident last month where a police officer sped and crashed his Ducati motorcycle into an eye doctor, killing her. On Valentine’s Day, the 37 year old motorbike driver was headed to work when he  saw two pedestrians walking on the crosswalk by Paolo Hospital in Bangkok’s Saphan Kwai area […]

Zebra is quite useless.....Change it to Elephant to amplify the crossing