News Forum - Phuket wants to be first province to declare Covid-19 endemic

Thaiger

Phuket officials want to declare Covid-19 endemic, even as the infection rate is rising on the southern island. According to a Bangkok Post report, deputy governor Pichet Panapong says achieving endemic status would allow officials to focus on economic recovery. Local officials would also like to get rid of the daily reporting of new infections, instead only reporting Covid cases involving moderate to severe illness. “Phuket would be delighted to be the first province for the declaration. I hope this will help alleviate concerns about the virus and shift focus to economic restoration instead.” According to Thailand’s National Communicable Disease […]

The story Phuket wants to be first province to declare Covid-19 endemic as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If the number of daily cases is a criterion, even mentioning that that number should be withheld from the public is a slap in the face.

Edited by Chatogaster
misread a part

In the other article posted today, cases are predicted to surge towards 100,000 as it has done in Europe and other countries. So, how about we get past that and see some decline before we talk about the flat out opening.

If you want to get more tourism, do away with the day 5 test nonsense. That's a good start.

• Like 2

Right now the locals in patong are wearing face masks and fear infection, it's the entitled tourists  who are causing the spread. I'd say maybe 90% are not even bothering to put a mask on in public . No wonder infections  are predicted  to increase as more arrive and flout the rules. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Slightly off topic but possibly relevant to understanding the vagaries of Covid.

Three weeks ago we had 6 children in our home, two were infected with Omicron, I was physically in contact with one of the infected during their 4 hours here, and was in close proximity of all without a mask for most of this time. We ate together etc and were later informed one of their school friends tested positive and we took them to be tested.

Two tested positive, one hospitalized the next day and the other quarantined.  The other 4 children tested negative and remained so during quarantine.

My wife and I both quarantined for ten days and had a series of tests, day one, day five and day ten. All negative.

This Omicron may be highly contagious but also seems to be very selective.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, palooka said:

Slightly off topic but possibly relevant to understanding the vagaries of Covid.

This SARS-CoV-2 may be highly contagious but also seems to be very selective.

Also a little off topic. I was in a club/beer bar for hours one night not long ago. There was some private party I accidently stumbled in to as I stumbled home from another establishment. Long story short was in close proximity to approximately 50 unmasked people who were chatting etc. like people do in a bar.

No infection, no nothing (except slight hangover).

Let's stop the insanity and get on with the fun. People who are worried can stay home.

Edited by Raugh
grammatical error
  • Like 2

“…Local officials would also like to get rid of the daily reporting of new infections, instead only reporting Covid cases involving moderate to severe illness…”.  When a person test positive but it asymptomatic, they can still can transmit the disease to others and could cause severe illness to others.  Remember these are the same officials, who stated last year to suspend Phuket Sandbox if daily cases go over 80 a day. Now that cases are over 500 a day, they have to figure out a new way to fudge the numbers.  

28 minutes ago, Does said:

“…Local officials would also like to get rid of the daily reporting of new infections, instead only reporting Covid cases involving moderate to severe illness…”.  When a person test positive but it asymptomatic, they can still can transmit the disease to others and could cause severe illness to others.  Remember these are the same officials, who stated last year to suspend Phuket Sandbox if daily cases go over 80 a day. Now that cases are over 500 a day, they have to figure out a new way to fudge the numbers.  

Whats the point in 'fudging the numbers' if they're already public?

4 hours ago, Thommo said:

In Phuket mask wearing appears to be already optional

Inside stores yes?

If you are really excited about the fact that some people doesn’t wear masks outside anymore, I need to admit that I am impressed by your obedience.

The true numbers won’t be public anymore if they only report moderate and severe Covid cases. 

2 hours ago, Poolie said:

Whats the point in 'fudging the numbers' if they're already public?

To those who are still focussing on high infection rates and pooping yourselves still; the daily infection rates are creeping up to the Delta high from August, but the daily deaths is only 10% of that August high!

That is what endemicity is.

Come out from behind your couches and get on with living!