News Forum - Despite rising Omicron infections, Thailand is forced to reconsider current restrictions

Thaiger

3 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

They seem very reasonable. 

Do you not understand what he's saying? It's quite clear. 

The West has mainly finished with covid and restrictions now. Life has been normal for a while. It could change granted but it looks like the restrictions are never coming back to such an extent

The East will catch up eventually. Hopefully sooner rather than later

8 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Is disposal income a problem? I don't think so

Most people remained the same, many actually have done better

Household savings is way up

Even the lower income groups, many made more money due to stimulus 

I personally don't know anyone who got hurt and I know many who have done better during covid 

I agree, the only reason I am not spending six months in Thailand is because I can't be bothered to go though all the hassles, plus I don't want to end up being 'detained' for two weeks if I catch covid on the plane. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stonker said:

If you're talking about Thailand, no "we" haven't and that's not true.

Booster doses have only been given to less than a third of the population, most of whom were given Sinovac or Sinopharm initially, and anyone who wants a booster has to wait until the vaccines are available and there's a sufficient gap between their first pair and the booster - for those who had two mRNA jabs that's 6 months, so for many that's a four or five months wait, and for others it's 3 months so for many a 2 month wait.

If you're talking about other countries, you're replying to the wrong article / in the wrong forum.

Very true the original vaccines for Thais were Sinovax,  which is of questionable value at best. Some followed with Astrozinica. So Thais didn't get the full protection and caution is advised. Lately, Thailand has purchased the mRNA vaccines which should help. 

It's wise for Thai authorities to move cautiously, especially since vaccine immunity could be less than ideal. 

Stay the course and don't be swayed but those that only have money motives.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Do you not understand what he's saying? It's quite clear. 

The West has mainly finished with covid and restrictions now. Life has been normal for a while. It could change granted but it looks like the restrictions are never coming back to such an extent

The East will catch up eventually. Hopefully sooner rather than later

Fair comment!     Hi, @JohnCand welcome to the forum.

59 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Having to wear a mask when in shopping centers .

Constant pointless heat tests 

Bars and restaurants having restricted opening times .

Schools closing down sporadically .

Entry restrictions into the Country .

People who test positive needing to quarantine 

Apart from that it is completely open. 😂

That is why a lot of us are staying in the West at the moment as what is the point of going from a totally open country to one which has many restrictions?

That is the reason I left Thailand in August 2020 as when it comes to science and technology Thailand is in the dark ages and I knew they would make a mess of the vaccine rollout which is still the case.

Don't get me wrong Thailand is a great place to visit for long holidays as long as we have an airport near by in case we need to make a quick exit. 

5 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Apart from that it is completely open. 😂

That is why a lot of us are staying in the West as what is the point of going from a totally open country to now semi open.

Seems nobody understands flukes post

All of them restrictions he lists are over with and it's unlikely they'll be coming back. 

I was in a football stadium at the weekend with 50k people crammed together. Not one mask 

Pub was packed afterwards. Not one mask etc

The West is moving on

The East will catch up eventually 

16 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Seems nobody understands flukes post

All of them restrictions he lists are over with and it's unlikely they'll be coming back. 

I was in a football stadium at the weekend with 50k people crammed together. Not one mask 

Pub was packed afterwards. Not one mask etc

The West is moving on

He was listing the restrictions in Thailand not in the UK.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fluke said:

Have you read the O.P in this thread ?

This thread is about Thailand considering changing all the current restrictions .

Well they have been talking about that for months, it will be forgotten about in a few days time until it pops back up again in a weeks time, it is always all talk. 

22 minutes ago, JamesR said:

He was listing the restrictions in Thailand not in the UK.

My apologies I was reading it wrong. 

Glad the UK has got rid of them though. 

Thailand will soon enough

1 hour ago, Fluke said:

Having to wear a mask when in shopping centers .

Constant pointless heat tests 

Bars and restaurants having restricted opening times .

Schools closing down sporadically .

Entry restrictions into the Country .

People who test positive needing to quarantine 

Well, most people here are in favour of masks at all times apart from when eating or drinking where permitted.  If you're not, then you're very much in a minority.

The same thing applies to quarantine for those testing positive - anyone testing positive who didn't quarantine would be extremely unpopular here.

The "constant heat tests", whether pointless or not, aren't part of any government restrictions but are purely down to the individual establishment's  policy.

There are no government restrictions on schools now - any closures are purely down to school and district policy.

Entry restrictions obviously don't stop anyone here having a "normal" life, which is what you say you want. All they stop is some people (maybe 10%) making as much money as they used to.

So ... well ... that only leaves bars and restaurants ... 😯

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Yes ... all the East needs is to have ten times as many dead, spend billions of $'s achieving nothing, and impose some totally useless and ineffective lockdowns keeping everyone at home for weeks and months for no reason, and we'll have 'caught up' 😂 😂 😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

Where did I say I wanted to go out and have a good time? Can you show me please?  If you can’t show me then can you please stop posting comments trying to put words in my mouth. 

He does it all the time, I just laugh. 😂

3 hours ago, Fluke said:

I have friends who work in UK care homes for the elderly and when the old people die , its just written of as a Covid death , easier for everyone . 

No autopsy or investigation . If they have Covid  , then its just registered as a Covid death 

Total bollocks, it is so funny what people say. You just have to laugh.😃

My brother owns five large nursing homes in the UK and they are very strict with the rules and regulations.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stonker said:

Yes ... all the East needs is to have ten times as many dead, spend billions of $'s  and impose some totally useless and ineffective lockdowns keeping everyone at home for weeks and months for no reason, and we'll have 'caught up' 😂 😂 😂

No they need to give everyone boosters but you know this. Doesn't stop you being a smartarse though

People who laugh at their own jokes are rather pathetic

Old men using emoji is just sad also

Have a week off 

1 minute ago, JamesR said:

He does it all the time, I just laugh. 😂

Yes I agree mate. That and his perpetual banging on about Barflys etc. Enough is enough of these guys disrupting what is otherwise a very helpful and enjoyable forum. I’ve reported the situation on several occasions and hopefully further action will result. I’m perfectly fine with people having lively debate and strenuously putting alternative views forward and disagreeing totally with what I say. What is wrong is perpetual harassment and false propaganda. I urge action to stop it. I use to find it funny but now it’s gone to far. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JamesR said:

Total bollocks, it is so funny what people say. You just have to laugh.😃

My brother owns five large nursing homes in the UK and they are very strict with the rules and regulations.

Extremely rude , I shan't converse with you any more .

Learn some manners and some social etiquette , rude boy .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

No they need to give everyone boosters but you know this. Doesn't stop you being a smartarse though

People who laugh at their own jokes are rather pathetic

Old men using emoji is just sad also

Have a week off 

Here here. Stonker is another forum disrupter. He rarely posts his own options and sits in wait for others and then attacks. Thankfully there are only 2 or 3 individuals who I consider trolls and disrupters on this excellent forum. That in no small way is due to the efforts of the moderators. I hope they can continue to keep Thaiger Talk the quality forum it is. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Well, most people here are in favour of masks at all times apart from when eating or drinking where permitted.  If you're not, then you're very much in a minority.

The same thing applies to quarantine for those testing positive - anyone testing positive who didn't quarantine would be extremely unpopular here.

The "constant heat tests", whether pointless or not, aren't part of any government restrictions but are purely down to the individual establishment's  policy.

There are no government restrictions on schools now - any closures are purely down to school and district policy.

Entry restrictions obviously don't stop anyone here having a "normal" life, which is what you say you want. All they stop is some people (maybe 10%) making as much money as they used to.

So ... well ... that only leaves bars and restaurants ... 😯

I don't want anything in Thailand , I have moved to a Country where Covid has finished and there's no more restrictions .

You just keep on wearing masks every time you go out and get heat tests numerous times a day, if that helps you feel secure and safe

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Yes ... all the East needs is to have ten times as many dead, spend billions of $'s achieving nothing, and impose some totally useless and ineffective lockdowns keeping everyone at home for weeks and months for no reason, and we'll have 'caught up' 😂 😂 😂

Thailand need to get through the virus , just like the U.K has done , sitting there waiting for something to happen will not achieve any results . 

Are you still waiting for it all to blow over ?

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, JohnC said:

No they need to give everyone boosters but you know this. 

Indeed I do, but as I've attempted to explain, I thought reasonably coherently, several times, they can't "give everyone boosters" yet.

It's impossible.

There aren't sufficient vaccines available, and even if there were the boosters for many won't be fully effective as many have only had two previous doses of Sinovac or Sinopharm or at best Astra Zeneca, and they have to wait a minimum of three months after their second dose, and the lucky few who had Moderna or Pfizer have to wait six months.

You may not be aware of it, but what you say Thailand 'needs' to do is simply impossible.

23 minutes ago, Fluke said:

I don't want anything in Thailand , I have moved to a Country where Covid has finished and there's no more restrictions .

You just keep on wearing masks every time you go out and get heat tests numerous times a day, if that helps you feel secure and safe

You seem to still be missing the point.

Masks aren't to make ME feel secure and safe from everyone else - they're to make everyone else feel secure and safe from me.

... and if the time ever comes when waving my hand in front of the occasional temperature scanner as I go into a shop becomes a major inconvenience on a par with lacing up my shoes, I think it'll be time for me to pop my clogs.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Thailand need to get through the virus , just like the U.K has done , sitting there waiting for something to happen will not achieve any results . 

Are you still waiting for it all to blow over ?

Well, whether the UK has 'got through the virus'  or not is still to be seen (and the UK's experts have serious doubts), but I hope Thailand does so with rather less casualties and far less restrictions, as it has done so far.

In the meantime Thailand has no option but to wait until it's possible for boosters to be given, which it's impossible to speed up.

Until then they can either continue to take the same precautions that have been successful so far, or they can pretend it's all over which seems to be the preferred option for those recently arrived here fully vaccinated so who are 'secure and safe' themselves but who couldn't give a toss about anyone else here.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Here here. Stonker is another forum disrupter. He rarely posts his own options and sits in wait for others and then attacks. Thankfully there are only 2 or 3 individuals who I consider trolls and disrupters on this excellent forum. That in no small way is due to the efforts of the moderators. I hope they can continue to keep Thaiger Talk the quality forum it is. 

The Moderators are great! They keep me in check from time to time  :)

Will owe them a bunch of beers if I ever meet them!

• Like 1

On 2/21/2022 at 7:26 AM, Fluke said:

do give it a rest about Boris 

Why? Declaring it all over and dropping all control measures is not only premature, it's criminal. Will Boris supporters still be praising this rubbish in six months if a new variant emerges that is vaccine resistant and twice as deadly as Delta? There is no reason to think it won't happen. 

• Like 1